1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive Done It!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by soni, Jan 3, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've finally parted with my much earned cash and bought the Tosh DLP!

I didn't actually intend on purchasing today, as the main reason i went to the Greenwich Comet (travelled from Maidstone) was in fact to view the reported problems with facial blurring and noise in dark areas.

I took along a couple of DVD's, namely Gladiator and Spiderman 2.

I can report that the display set on show definately displayed the facial blurring at 3:16, and i must admit that to my eyes it was VERY BAD! - so bad in fact that for the few seconds it lasted, i actually felt unconfortable watching it - it looked to me like there was missing information/bits missing from his face!

However, i was not able to notice any rainbows, i looked at the flaming arrows and fires and moved my eyes quickly accross the screen from side to side, and also blinked quickly, but luckily enough i wasn't able to see any!

I then put on Spiderman 2, and actually watched quite a lot of the movie, must have been there for about an hour! I was unable to pick up on any noise at all on the black areas whilst he's swinging through the streets at night - i'm not saying for one minute it doesn't exist - its just to my eyes everything seemed fine!

Anyway, my conslusion was this - although the problem with the panning section in Gladiator was in my opinion unwatchable, i watched a hell of a lot of Spiderman 2 - and to my eyes the picture was incredible! I noticed no problems as seen in Gladiator and the colours were really nice and strong, and the sense of height when he's jumping over roof tops and falling between buildings, was so realistic that it felt like i was actually falling for real!

I won't let isolated instances in films like gladiator get in my way of an othewise brilliant large screen TV like the Tosh. I think its a very small price to pay when your getting a tv of that size and quality. Anyways, how long is the entire film of gladiator compared to the couple of seconds of blurred panning?

Anyway, the sales guy came accross and asked if i'm thinking of buying, and i jokingly said not at those prices no! He looked at me, and i said well i will be paying cash for it and can get it cheaper than that on line. He said, oh - we can price match. I said not websites you cant (as i had been told yesterday by Comet at Aylesford Retail Park, Maidstone - by the Store Manager! that they will only pricematch one website and thats the Comet one - that makes a lot of sense doesn't it?). But this guy asked how much have i seen it for - i said £1560.00. He went away to see his manager, and said that he will do it for £1549.00.

Apparently, he did the same last week and price matched a website called Galtronics? or something.

Anyway, i decided to go for it, so will be expecting delivery on Tuesday 11th - Can't wait!

All i've got to do now is order the Denon 2910 - and hopefully that might even clear up the blurred part of Gladiator a little - as it said in the What Widesreen TV review that the lower down the signal you go - the more noticeable it will be. And the player they were using today was about an £80.00 Tosh, not even progressive, and i think it was through Component connection. When i get the player and TV set up, i'll let you now if the player clears Gladiator up any!

Somebody is obviously going to tell me now that i could have got the TV on another website for £1000.00 aren't they!

2. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have a hi def version of Gladiator (its about 11 gig) - and I can tell you that there is no blurring whatsoever on that!

I have looked at the offending scene - and its fine.

Dave, Oldham.

3. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are you running it from your PC? Is it via HDMI?

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Where did you get the Hi-def Gladiator from? A fantastic film.

5. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    soni >

If you dont mind me asking Soni, what made you go for the tosh and not the sagem?....Im pulling me hair out here trying to decide which one to go for, as ive said elsewhere i got a panny 36 crt and apart from a fault, im not impressed at all with it. Pic seems to be getting worse everyday, and comet have agreed to take it back. The space i got, the sagem will fit right in, but the tosh will have to be at an angle. I prfur the look of the tosh tbh, but just cant decide!!! :suicide:

If you got time to let me know why u went for the tosh, it would be appreciated... :smashin:

Del

6. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Delboy; I decided on the Tosh for several reasons. I was originally going to purchase the Sagem when i first see it displaying Hi-Def several months ago, but my wife didn't like the look of it. I tried to convince her that a TV is more than just a piece of furniture, and that you've got to look at the picture quality as opposed to the cabinet its in. However, that didn't work, and she agreed to a new TV so long as its one we both can agree on! So, i did my research and realised that the Tosh was due for release in about 8 weeks time (several months ago). We sat and waited for its release, and when i eventually saw it in the flesh, i was so glad that i waited. I personally like the look of the Tosh better than the Sagem. Although i prefer the screen border on the Sagem, as its not got speakers, its just the bottom bit and cabinet i don't like. Also, the Sagem is 50" as opposed to 46", and the 50" would probably be a little to large for our lounge. Also, we've got a Tosh 100hz 28" Widescreen at present (about 5 years old) which gives an ansolute fantastic picture, no problems with it, and the reason we purchased that Tosh 5 years ago was because of over hearing another couple ordering a Tosh, and they said they've allready got another Tosh at home and its about 12 years old, no faults, still works brilliantly, but apparently it had really aged and looked really old and thats why they wanted to upgrade. So in a nutshell, i suppose looks, past experience, reputation, and also the fact that Tosh have been making CRT Rear Pro's for years! Other reasons: DLP far cheaper than Plasma and LCD, and HDCP compliant HDMI Input! Hope this helps!

Soni

7. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Soni,
    CONGRATULATIONS. Although u might have seen a couple of other threads of mine looking for help on a couple of small issues, please feel you made a good choice. I also bought mine yesterday afternoon.

I watched the test time 3:16 on gladiators and was coughing,, oh dear. Then i watched NEMO, Monster INC, and then Bugs Life. ppphhooooarrr some brilliant images. There were details in there I never saw before. By the way, I was in the Aylesford Branch about a week ago, and they still didnt have the TOSH on demo then.

Has Aylesford got it now?? Just wondered what they might have hooked upto it with regard to HiDef.
    Have also ordered the Panasonic S97EBS today. looking forward to it.

maidstoneman30s

8. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    soni >

Thanks for the info m8, me thinks you have finally swung it for me, now hope comet online/phone will do the same deal for me as you got....If i can get 400 notes off ill be dead chuffed, may even donate more cash to the Tsunami fund with what i save.....Again Soni, thanks for taking the time to reply. Only wish i could see this beast on show somewhere, as down here in the Southwest comet got it going thro rough ole connections. Only the sagem is on show in all its full glory...wish me luck :clap: :smashin:

Del

9. phunt

phunt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Delboy,
    Trust me...if youve seen this set with rough connections and your still prepared to buy it then your going to be a very happy bunny because it only gets better from there.I have the Tosh and ive seen the sagem and in my opinion in the PQ stakes the tosh is as good if not better than the sagem (if you can live with the panning blur).Also if comet wont do you the same deal then theres plenty of online stores doing it for around the same low price.Congrats on your decision.

10. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maidstoneman: No, they still havn't got it in store. I started looking in that store every week from when it was originally released, but then they checked their computer and said it doesn't look like that model is being allocated to the Aylesford store. They checked other stores, and confirmed that Ashford had one, but when i phoned them they only had one which was in the storeroom, and not on display, but then went back to the store, they checked again, and confirmed Greenwich had one on display.

Have you noticed any panning problems/blurring on any other movies besides Gladiator? Its strange how some owners havn't got the problem?

Also, i notice from your set-up picture that you've got the KEF eggs .2. I've got the originaly eggs, and boy do they rock, i can only imagine how the new ones sound. I've just finished plastering all the speaker cables into the lounge wall (QED Silver Anniversary cable) ready to be wired up to my existing Denon AVR3802 amp. Just waiting for delivery of the TV then will be setting it all up, once the DVD player has arived that is!

Delboy: No worries M8, don't pay the asking price of Comet, you WILL get it cheaper, thats a fact, and as Phunt said there are plenty of reputable on-line stores that sell it at that price as standard!

11. whiteswan

whiteswan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    The Hi Def Gladiator (1080) - I got from a site I am not allowed to discuss on these forums.

Dave, Oldham.

12. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, those are the new Eggs, however, I have had them from new with the Yamaha 640 RDS receiver since June, and couldnt set them up right, spoke to KEF at tovil tech support and they werent much help and yamaha tech support even worse.
    Told the mrs i wasnt going to use it until I had the TV, and redecorated the room once i got the TV..

BTW, women eyh, decorating the room was a bargaining tool. If you all look at the pic, the mrs has a wallpaper sample already on the wall as i got the tv started. They dont miss a trick do they.

maidstoneman30s

13. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thks for that lads, i take it you mean empire and gultronics, or is there some where else i should be looking? If you have links would be great or PM, either way. Little concerned if it arrives with a fault, at least with comet i seem to have no hassles in getting a refund with the panny i have

Is there any extra cables i will need??? or the best cables to use?
    I have Sky (not +)
    A PC with DVI out
    Normal Crystal Xbox
    A 520 panny DVD home cinma kit...(dont laff, ive bought this with out knowing any better :suicide: ) It has componant out, and Progressive RDS scan....It will have to do for now, cash and xmas and a new tosh hurts the wallet :devil:

Also, how far away should i sit the sofa away :blush:

Cant thank you enough for the positve attitude on here...

Did i say thks?...lol

Del

14. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  15. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maidstoneman: Seems to me you've definately got the best end of the deal, she gets a couple of rolls of wallpaper, and you get the new 46WM48P TV! Why can't all woman be that easily pleased!

16. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, ordered the tosh today....hoooraaa...didnt get as good a deal as you got, but im happy, set arrives on friday :devil:

Now, what DVD player should i got for, cant afford to much, and wondering what cables to go for...Anyone offer help suggestions?

Del

17. jasonuk

jasonuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you do a quick search, i posted an article a couple of weeks ago.
    I got Comet Greenwich to price match Gultronics for £1469 inc. delivery.
    What a bargain!! Great TV. I'm just waiting for my Samsung HD945 to come through and it'll be awesome.

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jason UK: Shame i didn't read that post of yours earler. I could have pocketed another 100 notes, the guy did tell me that he did a pricematch for another customer the previous week or 2 who found it cheaper at Gultronics, obviously this must have been you, shame he didn't go a little further and tell me for how much!.

Has anybody found any other panning problem areas on any other films that are as bad as Gladiator 3:16? I've still got another week to wait for delivery of the TV.

Delboy: Congratulations on your purchase! I've just ordered the Denon DVD2910 from Sevenoaks, even though i have read over in the DVD section that some problems have been experienced with CD-R playback after about an hour of play. Apparently the discs stop spinning or something, although this shouldn't affect me much, as i will be watching mainly originals!

I have seen the player displaying in 720 & 1080 and it is awesome, and i got that pricematched at £499.00 as per leconcepts.com!

I will be picking up the player tommorrow.

P.S. Delboy:- If your after a cheaper player, then i was going to get the Panasonic DVD-S97-EBS - its got HDMI out! And its about £200.00 - don't know what reviews its got, but it sounds like a decent player to me - and if you went for this player or another HDMI equipped DVD player you would naturally want to use a HDMI cable to carry the digital audio and video signals!

19. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should hopefully be reporting on the Panasonic S97EBS with HDMI connection either tomorrow or Thursday evening, pending Profilgold HDMI coming in.

Panasonic S97EBS Multiregion from Empire was £249

Profigold HDMI to HDMI 2 metre cable was £42.50

SONI - let you know as soon as I have tried it with Gladiator 3:16

maidstoneman30s

20. lee31

lee31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maidstone, are you sure your S97 is multiregion as when I asked Empire about it, they said they could NOT do multiregion on this player hence why I bought it from Sound & Vision for £259. & can I ask why you bought an additional HDMI lead ?

21. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Maidstone Man: It would be great to hear your report once you've received the S97. I sincerely hope that a HDMI connection will maintain the signal quality at a high enough standard to reduce the panning blurr. Its a really great looking set and produces really nice colourfull images - even though i've only demo'd Spiderman 2! and Gladiator (which is quite a dark looking film anyway). However, when i receive the set, if the panning blur is to frequent, then i'll have to return it, as there's no way i would be able to put up with a set displaying film footage like that of Maximus's face in Gladiator 3:16 - i know this might sound stupid, but it actually made me feel very uneasy and Nauseous! However, i don't think it will be to frequent, as i watched a lot of the Spiderman DVD i took along with me in store and never noticed anything like Gladiator!

My Mrs got me 'The Day Before Tommorrow' for Christmas, and i'm just hoping that the shaking of the earth on that film doesn't display panning blur, as i saw the film displayed on a 37" Phillips Plasma (Maidstone Man: The silver one on the wall in Allders at Home - Aylesford Retail Park - Linked up to the Bose) and the film looked very good indeed. The plasma displayed it like a Cinema screen - and its retailing now for £1799.00!!

Other owners swear that they've not got any problems, and it would be great to get to the root of the problem and find that it's just because of week signals/DVD/Player quality issues!

I've still got to wait unti Tuesday until i recieve mine, but am collecting the 2910 player from Sevenoaks at lunchtime!

I would be gratefull if anybody can confirm whether the above film displays panning blur! And also what other films display it as bad as Gladiator!