1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive done it !

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by karkus30, Jun 10, 2004.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You know what Ive gone and ordered................its a big, heavy thing, thats coming from America (no, it doesnt contain an ex-presidents body and isnt a four piece band). Darlington, prepare for impact, the Ultra is on its way :clap:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Stockton and Redcar won't be safe either :D

3. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Karkus 30 - I'd be extremely interested in knowing whether you also evaluated the PB2+ in making yoiur decision on the PC Ultra - if so what where the deciding factors for you? Congratulations on your purchase by the way - I'm envious, in that I'm very close to pressing the button to make my order (I have been mightily impressed at the correspondence I have had from both Ron and Erik at SVS - they are outstanding in their responses), but I cannot decide between the two! I have a fairly large room (actually a conservatory) which is 25x20, and I like lots of trouser flapping! I also currently use an MJ Accoustics 100, and I'd be interested to know if anyone can advise me whether they would hang onto it (I'm very happy with it) or would sell it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me - I just want to get my decision right as its a long way to send it back if I don't!!

4. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what were the criteria in Karkus' case but here are mine:

1) Price. I got one of their B-stock PC Ultra's for $1100 shipped to my door. PB2+ would have been $1300 shipped. I think shipping would be magnified if you're in UK as the PCU weights 68 pounds and the PB2+ 140 pounds.

2) Tune points. In case I move my HT to a smaller room I can go down to 12Hz tune. Like extra headroom, it is always nice to have the ability to go lower even if you don't need it. PCU has 12, 16 and 20Hz tuning points compared to the 16, 20 and 25Hz points in PB2+. Of course this works both ways as the PB2+ would deliver more SPL at higher tune but I doubt I'll ever have that big of a HT room. If I do, I'll replace the PCU with their new SS models, dual of course... :)

3) Cylinder size and weight. Already owned a 16-46PCi and I like the cylinder size. Easy to move around and the Ultra is also 7 inches shorter than the PCi.

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I just read the reviews on various sites.......real users, not magazines. Im a sucker for ultimates, so would have always wondered ' what if '. Same with buying Motorcycles......600cc would really be fine, but I just had to have a 1000cc and I dont regret paying the extra at all. Do I use all the power, no way, but its nice to leave it in top and overtake when Id be dropping a few gears on the smaller bike.

Advice from SVS is that if you want to play at high levels (my room is about 16 feet square) then the Ultra isnt OTT. You might just be buying more power than you need, just dont need to turn the wick up as far.

Poor criteria I know :blush: but you only live once and I always try and buy the best I can.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    skyline how much of an improvement is the ultra on the 16-46? Can you hear a difference between the drivers at all levels or is there no difference until you push it?

7. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks for the responses. So the PB2+ has greater SPL at mid-levels but the PCU goes lower, if I'm summarising correctly. That just makes it worse!!! Someone tell me whether I want it lower or louder - I can't make up my mind! Waaaaaahhhhh!!

8. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its easier than that.........if you want it lower and dont have a giant cinema room then just get the Ultra. If you need higher SPLs..........buy two ultras. But be prepared to change all your lightbulbs to rough service types or flourescents, buy a gum shield and get your guests a pack of Pampers in Maxi size :D

9. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    :rotfl: Karkus30 - the images you have conjured up for me are absolutely priceless - I must thank you enormously!

I think though I'm going to go for the PB2+ (or maybe I'll go for the PCU)- I have read so many reviews and posts that my brain hurts :zonked: , and I can no longer take it all in, but by this time tomorrow I'll be able to post that I've done it, whichever way it is. I'm told just 72 hours from order to despatch, so it'll be time to buy those maxi pampers very soon. :clap:

Cheers and best of luck with yours.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would guess that in the real world it wouldn't make a great deal of difference which one you buy as any differences between the two would not only be fairly small but also only noticeable at reference levels in large rooms. Even then I would guess that you would have to be listening out for differences before you noticed any.

That being so the decision really comes down to whether you want a big cylinder in your room or a big box.

11. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCU is scheduled to arrive on June 15 and the PCi will be gone by then. I might be able to get my friends 20-39PCi (tuned to 17-39) and test them side by side. 16-46PCi wouldn't get to reference level on my room, Ultra should. From what I have read, the driver should also be superior on the Ultra so tighter and cleaner bass. I hope that is the case. But I have to say that depending on your listening room and habits, the 16-46PCi might be all you need. It is quite impressive subwoofer, especially for its pricetag.

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

13. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Skyline when it's b-stock do you get cheaper shipping? If it's just $50 off I'd rather get a new one. What does b-stock mean exactly? What's wrong with it? Plus aren't they 120V models?

15. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, forgot that they are 110V units for all the B-stock, unless you get a passive sub. For me it was a great deal as it was $100 off for the PC Ultra. I think for the B-stock PB2+ it was even more.

I think these are basically customer returns (they have 45 day return policy).

"All of this gear is "like new"* and fully warranted, as any product right out of the box or off the SVS line is. They are perfect functionally but might have been opened or even gently used. Minor cosmetic issues are possible, but performance problems are not. Priced to sell, no further discounting."