1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've decided what sub to buy - well almost

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Daneel, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Does anyone know if BAX deliver on a Saturday? I've finally got the money together but being available during the week looks like a no-no for at least 2 months :(

If anyone has bought a PCU or PB2+ recently I'd be obliged if you could tell me how much SVS charged for shipping and the total amount paid.

Thanks!

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Best bet is to give Bax a call: (44) (208) 899-3000

I'm sure they do deliver on Saturdays but I bet it's expensive! Best look back in the thread for amounts paid, and as you know it's dependant on the current exchange rate. Bax charge different amounts depending on where you are in relation to the airport it ships to, I think SVS have a relatively standard shipping fee, which they'll give you in double quick time if they drop you an email:)

Do you know which one you're going for? PCU or PB-2 Plus?

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I really can't decide Matt. If you have a suggestion I'd be glad to hear it. I was just downstairs checking there is room for the PB2+. :)

It will fit nicely into a corner which currently has a never used table in it. I got a response to my wanted thread for a centre speaker to match my 926s, I can't afford both!

BTW, if anyone has good quality pictures of the PB2+ or PCU I would really appreciate if they could either make them available or send them to me (email address for large files is dsiddiky at ntlworld dot com).

I'm tempted to go for the PB2+. The Ultra has the better driver but the other main advantge of the PEQ I think will be negated when I get a BFD. The space saving, lower weight and cost would be good though.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    The difference in cost between the 2 is really only around £100 (max). PEQ is really a waste of time imho (only 1 band), but so other than the cost, there's the footprint to consider, and finally the size of room you have. Knowing you don't listen to movies or music loud, I'd advise you to go for the Ultra and make use of the superior driver - of the 2, I guess the PB-2 Plus really outshines the Ultra ONLY if the room is huge and you listen at high volumes. That's completely unfounded, but I'd put money on it SVS would say the same:)

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Matt, now that I have my own place volumes go a bit louder :)

When I was watching The Haunting I had to turn down the volume for fear of damaging my speakers!

At what size of room do you suppose I would be better of with the PB2+ rather than the PCU? The current room is 11' x 22' x 8' (w x l x h), I just measured.

I would prefer a box sub, but the size and weight of the PCU are more appealing and then there is the ultra driver, but then the PB2+ has 2 and a low more powerful amp! Arg. What to do?

Does anyone have a link to that program that lets you easily create a picture of your room?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dsiddiky/Rack/whole.jpg

The PCU would just fit in the right hand corner where the table is. The PB2+ could only go in the left corner, the wall is just out of shot, immediately behind the sofa.

P.S. Thanks to whoever sent me the picture of the PB2+. If anyone has close up shots they would be appreciated.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    If you weren't playing stuff close to reference level then I'm sure the PCU would be fine, but again I'd suggest dropping SVS an email to confirm.

re: the cylinder subs...I don't like them either, and anyone who says "they blend in" in their rooms are either

a. lying
    b. blind
    c. have a dedicated room or a room full with black boxes anyway so it doesn't matter

That said, my PCU IS growing on me, the cloth finish is better in some ways than the finish on the PB-2 Plus. But at the end of the day they're both pig ugly :)

If you could stretch to it, and if aesthetics are important, I'd go for the PB-2 Ultra...but of course it's ALOT more money :rolleyes: Or possibly look at the PB-1SD which is a box sub in wood finishes too? (I think?)

EDIT: re: room sizes, I think the PCU will be fine going very loud in all but the largest of rooms. If you play movies and music around -20db, then for sound quality it makes no sense buying the PB-2 Plus over the PCU, you might as well take the slightly cheaper PCU and make the most of the superior driver:)

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    C'mon Smurfin

Stop messing about and tell us what you really think about SV Subs! :devil:

Nimby ;)

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My ideal sub would be the PB2-Ultra, unfortunately there is no way I can afford that. I have sent SVS an email, so hopfully Tom will give me his views. Looking at the specs (900W vs 525W, PEQ made redundant by BFD, about 60% more internal volume on the PB2+) I'm sorely tempted by the PB2+. I don't think the PB1+ (that's the one with the wood finish and it costs almost as much as the other two at $1099) would be enough for me and the value for money is taking a major slide.

Recently music has been up to about -15 and movies up to -10. I would like the ability to play at ref though, just for the hell of it :)

Just to throw out a curve ball, how do you think a servo-15 would compare in my current room?

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I have no idea! Seriously, I don't have a clue there. All I can comment on is my old AV room, when I compared the PB-2 Plus with dual servo 15s. The PB-2 Plus won :)

It sounds as if you've already made up your mind. I must admit, I found that headroom alot more appealing than the amp that's in the PCU....

10. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Matt, for a guy who has owned all the subs I'm considering you are pretty useless :p

Just kidding mate :D

I would just go for the PB2+ were it not for the damn Ultra driver in the PCU! Why did they have to bring out that model. If they had just left it at the PC+ this would be so much easier!

Let me just be clear on your opinion, if you had the space, you would have the PB2+ over the PCU?

I'm also considering the B&W750. It really was awesome at Ragg's place. Its only problem was a lack of extension compared to your servo setup.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    3 months ago I'd have said the PB-2 Plus, now I'd say the PC-Ultra...it MAY be my room, but the Ultra does have a slightly different tone to it....it almost sounds tighter to me (and the PB-2 Plus is very tight).

Just to confuse you further I'd say if I had the space, I wouldn't go for either, I'd have the PB-2 Ultra:D If money won't stretch though....so long as SVS advised that the PCU could fill my living at reference levels with no undue stress...I'd go for that.

We compared the PB-2 Plus to the 750...in all honesty they sounded identical (which is a testament to the power of the B+W) down to 20hz, where the B+W died a death and the PB-2 Plus flexed its arms and caused anything not secured in my room to rattle:D

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm not sure but I think the Ultra driver needs a fair bit of running in, mine certainly improved with usage.

13. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Your PCU can't do that? How big is the room? Knowing the limitations of the PCU would be useful.

14. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    PC Ultra ordered!!!!

How long should I expect to wait for it? (I'm not impatient honestly)

Did anyone else have problems ordering other items with their sub? I wanted to add a cable but couldn't add it at the same time as the sub :(

15. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You just email them and say that you want other items with your order.

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    My PCU drives reference level with ease in my (modest) room; the only limitation I found was it can't be played loud without bottoming out on the lowest port tuning configurations (12hz), which makes me wonder...what's the point in having the option? But tuned to 20hz (and believe me, just cos it's tuned to 20hz doesn't mean it cuts off below that, there's still guts to this thing around 15-16hz), the PCU is laughing all the way up the richter scale:)

Enjoy your PCU, but remember what Jeff said...it will likely need plenty running in to sound its best.

17. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The tower of power is here! :D

Unfortunately the battery in my SPL meter is dead. Calibrating this thing is going to take some time....

18. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    So far it's not lacking in power and there is plenty rumbling going on but there is not much punch to it. I'm guessing this could be due to a dip further up in frequency than the sub is responsible for but it's kinda hard to tell.

My ears hurt, and I was only listening at -15.

I'm knackered after my drive to Heathrow, I think I'll leave further testing until tomorrow.

19. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Whuss :D