1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i've bought one ... toshiba 36zp38b

Discussion in 'TVs' started by blutac, Jul 5, 2004.

1. blutac

blutac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finally opted for a set and it was the toshiba !! went for the 36 as it's smaller than most 32 inch sets i measured.

i get it thursday and can't wait.

bought the sd340 dvd and component leads so i can have progressive DVD too.

:) :) :)

2. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also will be delivered this week

I was just reading the instructions for my pansonic e-85 dvd recorder and it says (in several places !) not to use prog scan on CRT televisions, even if they can support it, because of the flicker effect - I will try it anyway

3. blutac

blutac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info :)

it doesnt say anything in my DVD manual so i'll give it a go too - well i've bought the leads and the guy in the shop says he has tha same set up and it works.

i'll let you know friday after i've tinkered :thumbsup:

4. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if prog scan looks a bit flickery, I have seen people say using the component input with interlaced output is an improvement on RGB via SCART.

5. blutac

blutac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

prog scan with component cable works great, no flickers at all.

ntl cable box picture is great as is the portable aerial i have sat on top of the TV

very happy with the set !!!!!!!

:)

6. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent - mine is arriving this afternoon - I shall try it as well

7. blutac

blutac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

hope you like it too :)

only downer so far is my AV amp doesnt fit between the shelves so i've had to take one out - might have to get a new slim line one !!

it's one hell of a beast it felt like i was sat on the back of one of the bike while i watched the tour de france last night on eurosport.

good luck

8. PeteB

PeteB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is excellent, I had to adjust the settings - some of them are way out - 100% contrast seems way too high. I've got that DVE disk so I'll work my way though that

I was very impressed how good a fist of it made of analogue TV. Sky Digital is excellent, even on some of the lower bandwidth channels. There is some very clever processing going on. Usually I can tell a massive difference between switching RGB on and off on Sky - The Sky menu looks much sharper - but when I changed it to start off with, there wasn't much of a difference - cue me certain something was wrong, and uncabling everyting and cabling it again, but when I compared toggling RGB on and off on the other Sky digibox SCART (which doesn't support RGB) and then switching back to the proper one and toggling - I realised it is working, just it enhances the picture when you're not using RGB, (is this the comb filter ?)

DVDs are excellent - I'm having difficulty telling the difference between SCART RGB and component interlaced / progressive, I think I just need to find some good scenes in my DVD collection to compare them.

Gemetry seems excellent to me with the test card on, verticals look vertical and horizontals horizontal. I've looked at the convergence test and I'm not getting any colour banding - excellent again. I know people have had problems with this, but I guess Toshiba might have sorted this out now since this is the end of the run for this model.

My settings at the minute (mostly by eye - contrast 46, brightness 53, colour 44, tint -3, sharpness -12 Scan Mode Natural DNR off, Black Strech Off). I will play around .

I had the same problems with my amp - needed to miss out one shelf, but everything else fits fine.

9. blutac

blutac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

i could tell the difference between rgb on/off with my cable box - rgb on is so much clearer.

i'm getting used to the missing shelf shame that it's not designed to be able to adjust the shelf height.

i've now connected rca cables from the cd to the tv and had a play with installing the external font speakers as well - works ok but no way as good as the sony amp i have.

let me know how you get on with the dve disk - i'd love to know the settings that i comes up with.

i am currently using brightness 50, contrast 65, color 50, sharpness 60 i think - looks great but i tweak it everyso often.

cheers Dave