1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ive bought my 1st home cinema system...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by SIANS_DADDY, Feb 9, 2005.

1. SIANS_DADDY

SIANS_DADDY
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading about a million articles & what you lot on hear had to say i went for the denon 500 system, £429 from a local shop with free multiregion chipping. :thumbsup:

So ive no idea what im doing and its been here in its box for 3 days and ive not even opend it yet as i have visions of impending doom! :eek:

My first quandry was wether to get speaker stands £120 for 4 of them, then do i need stands or wall mounted, then do i have the back wall mounted & the front on stands or vice versa, see the doom it duth approach already and the box is still unopend....... :suicide:

Incase it makes any difference ive got a 4 year old jvc 32" wide and sky+ and a vhs machine (used only for recording my cctv) and a ps2.

My head hurts :confused:

Danny

2. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Denon ownership!!
    Just in case you miss the posts, a good tip on "set up" is to increase the volume to each speaker to +10db and to the Sub +5db.
    This will stop the sub from "overpowering" the rest of the speakers.
    This also helps with the one (mildly) annoying feature of the system.
    A cooling fan will cut in when playing discs as soon as the main volume control hits 45. By increasing the volume control on set up as described above, this can avoid you going too high with the main volume control.
    As I said, the fan noise is only mildly irritating, some users don't even notice it but doing this adjustment on set up is not a bad idea anyway.
    With regard speaker brackets I bought some at my local B&Q which had a buy one, get one free offer so I got fixed up with all four for just under £15.00. Bargain!!
    HTH
    Rob

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Please get it out of the box and start using it, how can you leave it in the box? I would have had it ripped open as soon as I got it home.

If you get stuck with connections there are plenty of people here who will help you, just post back.

Speaker stands is just personal preference, I have Denon ones by the tv and two AVF wall mounted ones for the rears.

4. SIANS_DADDY

SIANS_DADDY
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys

smiffy, you say you got 4 stands for £15 were they the tall stands or did you mean brackets?

as for the fan noise ive got my pc desk in my lounge and the fan from that is very noisey so the denon one will be a breeze hopefully

im also decorating which is another reason ive not set it up and ive orderd a glass & chrome tv stand so until thats here i cant start it

danny

5. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    3 days???? How could you do that??! :eek: I'm with wicket, I took mine outa the box as soon as I got it. Just sit it on the floor 'til your stand(s) arrives! :D

As for the fan - I don't notice it at all. I find that if the volumes switched up to 45, I can't hear anything else but the DVD/Sky/Playstation anyway! ;)

6. Links

Links

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got my Denon 550SD for Xmas and it was sitting in my lounge for a week before I got a chance to set it up.

If you can try and get a Sound Level Meter and calibrate it properly. I did that a few weeks ago and the difference is astonishing.

7. SIANS_DADDY

SIANS_DADDY
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this sound level meter, i can guess what it is but how much are they or can i hire one or who might have one?

what sort of differences did it make?

also ive got no tv stand and the place has 1 more coat of paint to go on and the skirting boards need putting on and painting so its safer in the box

i play my ps2 with thoese yellow, white, red leads into the front of my tv, can i improve this picture or sound by connecting differently?

:hiya:

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Danny
    I'm talking wall brackets mate, made by AVF.
    The ones I bought are an "L" shaped bracket, available in either black or silver with a movable base that sticks onto the speaker with some really heavy duty sticky pads.
    Not the prettiest brackets available but for £15.00 I can live with 'em.

Can take a piccie and post if you really wanted.
    Hope this helps
    Rob

9. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You will get a lot better picture quality by buying a RGB PS1/2 lead for the machine and setting the PS2 to output in RGB. What you are watching is composite which is the worse picture you can watch.

10. SIANS_DADDY

SIANS_DADDY
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i see, so new ps2 leads, i did have a set of gold scart leads for it but as my tv only has 2 rear scarts and a scart splitter was to much hassel i went for the front av ports.

all i do anyway is kill, mame & murder on san andreas (ive got 500+ games and i only play 1) but i will change this

as for the speaker brackets ive haggled with the shop and got the stands for £100 rather than the £120.

well the decorater says it will all be done by wednesday and my mate will come round and set it all up.

ive just got a handfull of new films to watch on it (all dodgy) so it will be a very joyus occasion (and ive given my daughter my old stero and so as she is 6 ill looking foward to listening to busted 24/7)

i do love this site as everyone is so helpful and there seem to be no muppets winding people up

i might move in!

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Looking forward to hearing what you think of the system when you get it set up.

You will notice a big difference in picture quality if you buy the RGB lead for the PS2. I personally cannot use the machine unless it is in RGB, composite is just too painful to watch.

You can still hook it into your scart splitter provided it is RGB compliant, this saves wear and tear on your tv's connections.