I've bought an LG OLED 65B6V and I'm a bit disappointed

fwokinfwok

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've bought an LG OLED 65B6V and I'm a bit disappointed with the picture quality.

Having moved on from my trusty Pioneer Kuro 50" I bought one of these OLED's back in November. The picture quality just seems to be pretty poor at times.

This is Sherlock on BBC One in HD through a SKY+ HD box with the picture set to standard mode.

IMG_6773.jpg

I quite often experience these weird contour lines on the screen. I've tried switching to different picture settings but it doesn't cure the problem. Has anybody else experienced this sort of behaviour and if so, what did you do to prevent it..?

If I watch a program that is in Standard Definition then the picture quality is much worse, and I'm sat 5m away from the screen!

I too get this and would be interested to know the cause and more importantly how to fix/mask it. It may just be due to broadcasts having suck poor bitrates and the LG revealing this flaw?

Last edited:
The beginning of Sherlock last night looked absolutely shocking on my E6 last night, contouring like your pic, blockiness etc etc, it certainly wasn't pretty. I keep telling myself it's the content and to a certain extent that's true because UHD Blurays and normal blurays look fine generally as does most streaming content on e.g. Netflix but to be honest most content on Sky isn't up to being viewed on an OLED cos it just looks pants really (apart from outdoor well lit scenes). It's a shame but unfortunately it seems to be something we're just going to have to accept until the broadcasters increase the bitrates which let's face it ain't gonna happen

I know it's the broadcasters since I do not see such issues on Blurays. I used to see contouring on my Panasonic G20B so it's not limited to OLED's. The intro to Planet Earth II had horrible contouring. But I bet the forthcoming UHD release does not have this problem. Realtime H.264 encoding is bandwidth limited and because it is realtime the encoders are not that great.

One other thing if you come from a plasma. Most do dithering which tends to blend the contouring and if your black levels were kinda washed out it also hides the lower contouring points.

I've bought an LG OLED 65B6V and I'm a bit disappointed with the picture quality.

Having moved on from my trusty Pioneer Kuro 50" I bought one of these OLED's back in November. The picture quality just seems to be pretty poor at times.

This is Sherlock on BBC One in HD through a SKY+ HD box with the picture set to standard mode.

View attachment 812495

I quite often experience these weird contour lines on the screen. I've tried switching to different picture settings but it doesn't cure the problem. Has anybody else experienced this sort of behaviour and if so, what did you do to prevent it..?

If I watch a program that is in Standard Definition then the picture quality is much worse, and I'm sat 5m away from the screen!
I haven't watched the 3 episodes yet, but interested to see if I have this via Freesat on my plasma (as I am about to dip my toe into oled). Is that 18 mins in to the 3rd ep (trying to fast forward without spoiling but can't see this scene on either of them around the 18 min mark)?

The scene around 4 minutes in, Mycroft, sword in hand in the corridor gave me some cause for concern as even 'her indoors' said "what's that smudge / mark thing in the top left?".

I have noticed it on other stuff too, the dark scenes seem to have a radial smudge. The black areas often seem to smudge/blur into something not quite so black.......?

Above and beyond that, the episode was a 90 minute load of pure tosh!

Edit; I suppose what I'm seeing is much the same as in the OP's picture, contouring as zAndy1 says.

Last edited:
The scene around 4 minutes in, Mycroft, sword in hand in the corridor gave me some cause for concern as even 'her indoors' said "what's that smudge / mark thing in the top left?".

I have noticed it on other stuff too, the dark scenes seem to have a radial smudge. The black areas often seem to smudge/blur into something not quite so black.......?

Edit; I suppose what I'm seeing is much the same as in the OP's picture, contouring as zAndy1 says.
Mine looks pretty good (plasma) but I did notice this very slight posture when he is shinning his torch on the wall, hard to pick up on camera.
I also noticed really bad on any type of fog scene.
Guess like most people say - content!

Attachments

• IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 599
Last edited:
Content, content, content, just google Sky HD bit-rates and read. Virgin, the BBC, ITV, Netflix etc., they are all at it, more channels less quality. COMPLAIN.[emoji34]

Some sets show up bad sources more than others, it would drive me crazy if mine was that bad

Sherlock looked lovely on my plasma last night.

Try my scene (also on plasma) mentioned above, looks great otherwise .

My Panasonic plasma in IFS night shows this sort of posterisation due to that mode having minimum/zero dithering. With good quality content it is an extremely clean and detailed picture but low bitrate dark scenes look bad.

My only way to improve this is to use my calibrated day setting which use Normal preset. This has a lot of dither and masks the posterisation to an extent with the downside of losing detail.

I guess OLED's don't use any dither?

Last edited:

And thats why my E6's went back last year....Panasonic have said that near black issues have being addressed on their new Oleds, anecdotal evidence from Ces indicates Panasonic have being successful in this, also someone said the new Lg Oled is cleaner near black, similar with Sony.
We will need to wait and see how much this years new Oleds have actually improved but fingers crossed.

And thats why my E6's went back last year....Panasonic have said that near black issues have being addressed on their new Oleds, anecdotal evidence from Ces indicates Panasonic have being successful in this, also someone said the new Lg Oled is cleaner near black, similar with Sony.
We will need to wait and see how much this years new Oleds have actually improved but fingers crossed.
What is being discussed here has nothing to do with near black issues. My calibrated ZT65 in the bedroom shows the same contouring/posterization in Sherlock to a lesser degree because it is a 1080p panel, but it still shows it. The E6 is a 4k panel upscaling an already compromised image and as a consequence the issue is highlighted even more.
I have over 600 hours on my 65E6, viewing everything from Sky HD through Blu-ray and UHD and I haven't once had an issue with near blacks.

its to do with the source material NOT the OLED!!

give your OLED a few hundred hours as well, the picture quality will improve over time

I get this problem aswell, but I was surprised to see this occasional colour banding on the PS4 PRO, the last three games I've played Modern Warfare Remastered, Infinite Warfare & Battlefield 1 all displayed this issue at various times.

i have also just recently bought a 65"b6 and i have to say
i also notice the same effect when i load up the amazon app,
standard tv content on my b6 also looks poor.
my sky tv on HD is the same as some of the other posters here,
sometimes it is slightly blury on some channels and the standard definition sky content is also poor,
when i watch anything on sky uhd it looks amazing if i watch blu rays it looks amazing,
no issues at all with gaming also looks awesome with no banding effects.
only other thing i had a gripe with was the amazon app,
when i watched goliath the show was great but where i found it bad was the stuttering between some panning shots which kinda annoyed me but the picture was in 1080p HD with HDR and it looked really good, but the weird stuttering sometimes is annoying but it only seems to do it on
this tv show from what i have found so far,
sky movies i have downloaded in UHD dont show this stutter effect so possibly it is just certain amazon series?.
overall hopefully content will improve because when you see the movies in UHD it really is an awesome picture.

Just run the scene again on iplayer to get a photo of it but strangely it doesn't show up on the catch-up service?

I get this with some games and content on sky, i rarely see it on bluray, the one time i noticed it on bluray was during Harry potter (cant remember which) snape is walking down the hall in pitcxh black with his wand lit up, and i noticed it around the edges.

Its purely content based, you will almost never see this on most blurays and never on a UHD Bluray.

Just run the scene again on iplayer to get a photo of it but strangely it doesn't show up on the catch-up service?

Is this iplayer via the tv or via Sky ?.

The iplayer via Sky is typically better quality than live broadcasts.

Last edited:
i have also just recently bought a 65"b6 and i have to say
i also notice the same effect when i load up the amazon app,
standard tv content on my b6 also looks poor.
my sky tv on HD is the same as some of the other posters here,
sometimes it is slightly blury on some channels and the standard definition sky content is also poor,
when i watch anything on sky uhd it looks amazing if i watch blu rays it looks amazing,
no issues at all with gaming also looks awesome with no banding effects.
only other thing i had a gripe with was the amazon app,
when i watched goliath the show was great but where i found it bad was the stuttering between some panning shots which kinda annoyed me but the picture was in 1080p HD with HDR and it looked really good, but the weird stuttering sometimes is annoying but it only seems to do it on
this tv show from what i have found so far,
sky movies i have downloaded in UHD dont show this stutter effect so possibly it is just certain amazon series?.
overall hopefully content will improve because when you see the movies in UHD it really is an awesome picture.

I had the same stuttering on Goliath, on the EF950, some of the pans were horrific. I wonder if it's in the stream?

View attachment 812495

Not sure if its the photo but your brightness looks far too high. Have you calibrated it?

I don't get these on my set but I calibrated it and use sky q.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom