• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I've been thinking.....

phils_wicked

Right, currently I have a Yamaha 757se hooked up to a pair of well used B&W 601s2 speakers.

I've been looking around to build up a new speaker setup with floorstanders and matching centre, then using the B&W's as rears till funds allow. But funds and size are prohibative.

So I then looked at sub sats.....

From what I have seen so far I'm begining to wonder if I shouldnt just get another pair of 601's (the newer S3 design) and LCR60 centre, then use the money I save towards a good sub.

Has anyone used the 601's as fronts and rears?

They dont sound bad on the yammy, but the treble can be a lil "tinny" at higher volumes. I dont know if the S3's are any different.

Your thoughts?

zero7

I went through a similar excercise, I had to get rid of my front 603 floor standers so I sold them and got a set of 601 series 3's. I knew I would loose out in the mid range department, so to compensate I purchased an LCR600 centre speaker and this totally transformed my system.

I no longer missed the floor stand speakers as most of the dialog on movies come from the centre speaker, this was the best upgrade I made. So effectivly, I had 4 601 series 2's for surround sound, two 601 Series 3 for front L/R and a LCR600 for centre duties. I ended up with a much better system.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom