I've been given a free Sky box, what next?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by yimpster, Jan 25, 2005.

1. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hiya,

I've been using Sky for about 3 years quite happily. My father in law just upgraded to Sky+ and decided to give me his old Panny Sky box.

Can i use a second box in my home? Any good links to information regarding what i could do to utilise the second box? or if it's definite nono.

Thanks in advance

Adam

2. PieOPah

PieOPah
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am sure that you would be able to use the second box in another room, but this would only act as a 'link' so you could still only watch the same channel.

I had a similar situation. My parents upgraded to Sky+ and I took their old Sky Box (mine had various problems). With the new box, I had to actually contact Sky and get them to send various signals and go throu 'secret' menus in order to have various things activated (such as the link in a different room).

If you wanted to use the second box to watch a seperate channel, you would still need to subscribe to the package which if I remember correctly, costs about £10 a month!

3. yimpster

yimpster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sounds - interesting. How would the cabling work though? Would the new box need to be wired up to the dish?

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To use the second box you will need to conneect it to the dish. This involves changing the lnb for a quad and running a cable to the new location. Sky will supply you with a new card for a mirror subscription, but both boxes will have to be permanantly connected to the same phone number for the life of the second sub. If you just want to watch the same channel in a different room you do not need the second box. Just run a cable from RF2 output.