I've been getting phone calls from 'HMRC'

'We've suspended your National Insurance number and you're under investigation for tax fraud, due to illegal activities. Please press 1 to speak to an officer."

Me, "Hi"
Her "Hello"
Me, "So when am I getting arrested?"
Her "Wut...sorry?"
Me, "When am I getting nicked?"
Her 'Hangs up'

IDK how they got my number, but HMRC would write to you first, so don't panic if you get this call. HMRC states on their site that the fraudsters will ask you to press 1 to speak to an 'officer'.

There is quite a few YouTube vids where YouTubers prank them back for half an hour for the lolz.

These people are cancer.

They must be making good money, or they wouldn't be so active.

It's freaky as you can hear other 'officers' in the background, like it's an actual official call center.

I ran the number through Google and they seemed to be based in Central London.

How can they just commit this crime brazenly without repercussions?

It's similar to a 'boiler room' like in that The Wolf of Wall Street movie.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I don't know if this is still out there, but there used to be a scam whereby just pressing the button cost you £300 or so!

As said, hang up. :lesson:

Yeah.

Pressing 'one' to troll them validates your number, so just hang up.

If they don't scare you into paying a fine, they can still get your personal details for identity theft.

Scum of the Earth.

Like I said in the 'I love England' thread.

It's a zoo out there.

It's shocking how anyone could stoop so low as to prey on the vunerable elderly.

Last edited:

TheRealIronMan

Novice Member
I get these calls as well and I've always wondered, what is the point of them getting you to press 1? Why don't they just start speaking like regular scammers?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The "1" can be a premium number so you pay £10 per minute to listen to someone try to scam you further.

If you press 1 you get connected to a person so they can try and actually get some money from you in the form of a fine. You pay with your CC details and away they go with all your info.

crashcris

Distinguished Member
Yeah I get that, just don't understand what the point of it is. What do the scammers get for playing you a recording and seeing if you'll press 1?
It's the phone version of poorly worded scam emails. Most people are not gullible and spot the mistakes so don't reply, it's the ones that do reply (or press #1) that the scammers are interested in.

It's the phone version of poorly worded scam emails. Most people are not gullible and spot the mistakes so don't reply, it's the ones that do reply (or press #1) that the scammers are interested in.

I've read that they actively add mistakes to weed out the intellegent.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I don't know if this is still out there, but there used to be a scam whereby just pressing the button cost you £300 or so!

It was an urban legend.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

jaipal2004

There’s no payment mechanism in the UK where a person can be charged to their bill for a call they’ve not originated by pressing a digit.

There’s drop charge numbers and premium ‘per minute’ numbers but you get charged if you originate the call.

It’s a common misconception.

The reason they ask you to press a digit on these bait calls is to see if there’s any intent from you to find out more.
👍

Hobbes1966

So do I but some times it's pointless. I keep getting messages that say I have a voicemail and to click on the link. I know I don't because I don't have a landline phone and obviously if I get a voice message on my mobile my phone will ping it.
No matter how many times I block and delete they still pop up from a different number. They're starting to get on my nerves now.

jaipal2004

These places usually spoof their CLI as mentioned by another person above. You do find their CLI is typically from a particular range of numbers but even then it’s a nightmare to keep blocking them.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Don't recognise number -> ignore. Follow up with Google search for number - if known service provider you are using, call back, add to phone book.

No number shown -> ignore.

Phone doesn't show incoming numbers -> new phone.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark Audio R5 is Made In England collection launch product
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple launches third generation AirPods with spatial audio