1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV2, ITV3 & E4 in wrong picture formats on Thomson DHD4000

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by zubnut, Jul 25, 2005.

1. zubnut

zubnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anyone else have this problem where ITV2, ITV3 & E4 come out in the wrong picture format on a Thomson DHD4000 - i.e. instead of a normal 16:9 image you have a 16:9 image squashed into a 4:3 box with black bars either side.
    I know that may not make sense but I couldnt think of a better way to describe it :rolleyes:

even when you change the picture format display via the thomson between 4:3, full screen, letterbox and 16:9 the pictures it outputs never seem to be correct.

This is only on those three channels, every other channel which broadcasts in 16:9 is fine. :suicide:

any ideas? I know it's not the broadcast itself but I havent managed to find this problem reported anywhere else about the Thomson ... :lease:

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    It does depend on what is being broadcast, if your box is dealing correctly with most channels then it must be working ok.
    I mostly get the wrong format on outside broadcasts or clips of film, they cannot always make it to fit a 16/9 mode. You have both the digi box and TV which affect the end result.
    Nigel

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be a communication problem between the box and the telly... There are two ways of indicating a widescreen signal. One is a pin on the scart, the other is information hidden in a line outside the viewing area. check that you have a fully wired scart lead between the two - this may sort it.

4. zubnut

zubnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    it's not the broadcasts as they are in widescreen on another freeview digibox
    its not the pj as it doesnt autoswitch it's set to 16:9 display, and itv2 and itv3 were showing as fine in 16:9 mode until about a month ago (e4 has always been squashed since it came onto freeview - but seeing as all they show is **** shoveler, sorry big brother, i was none too bothered about it).
    it's connected with s-video anyway not scart and its never been a problem before.

has anyone who has dhd4000 experienced this kind of thing before?

5. Steve D Green

Steve D Green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just been looking around here to see if there's info on this problem...

From what I've managed to work out it's a problem because ITV2, ITV3 and E4 are broadcast at a reduced resolution (544x576 instead of 720x576).

It appears that boxes based on 4TV chipsets (Thomson and Digifusion that I know of) have this problem.

I've spoken to Thomson and ITV Duty office and they pass the buck to each other. I've also contacted Ofcom and they tell me they don't have regulatory powers and to try the DTG. However DTG don't deal with the public.

I've also noticed that some programmes are OK (Lost, Smallville on E4 and Champions League on ITV2). This means that the box is capable of displaying them correctly. I passed this info on to Thomson and ITV Duty office put nothing's happened so far.

There's some threads about this on digitalspy.co.uk, and there have been rumours of a fix for Digifusion boxes, but I've heard that Thomson don't plan to issue any more bug fixes.

I just wish there was a regulatory body who could knock heads together, as it's ridiculous to have these sort of problems years after DTT has been rolled out.

Cheers

Steve

6. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    I have reported this problem before on the Forum. I have the same difficulty with my Panasonic TUCT20. I confirm it's nothing to do with interconnects to the tv however you make them. I use the Panasonic for a small tv in my bedroom which does not have SCART connectors. So there is no clash with 'widescreen' switching commands. The Panasonic was (it's no longer in production) one of the few Freeview boxes that gave a modulated RF output. I was interested in your explanation Steve. It certainly fits my experience.

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Sorry I forgot to say that my little old Sharp TV is 4:3 only. Of course the Freeview box is set to 4:3 picture size. I get a squashed (amorphic) picture with a frame around it. No problem on any other channel.

8. Steve D Green

Steve D Green

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

the workaround for me is to switch the wide mode on the box to do 16:9 Letterbox, and then zoom in on the TV, but obviously this reduces picture quality still further.

Welcome to the wonderful future of digital quality...

Cheers,

Steve

9. zubnut

zubnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cheers guys. nice to know i'm not the only one.

it's a right pain to have to have letterbox the image just to get the picture in the right proportions - but i find it strange that this has only occurred on my box in the last few months, it was fine for almost a year (wonder if it's programmed to go wrong when the guarantee runs out? :nono: )

it is a bit wierd too that some shows are fine and most everything else isnt - although i have noticed that when the show is fine the ads are wrong, and when the show is wrong, the ads are fine :suicide: grrrrrrrr.

oh well, may be persuaded to go with sky to get hd later this year and use my widescreen display as it should be used.

10. zubnut

zubnut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well, despite the wait, it looks like an over the air firmware upgrade last night has fixed the aspect ratio problems (at first glance anyway) :thumbsup:

and, rather nicely, the trick play buffer has been upgraded so that you can use a whole two hours if you want (you can set your own limit up to 120 mins).

hats off to thomson for this as didnt think it would ever be fixed. well done guys and girls there.:smashin: