ITV1 PQ a disgrace via HDMI from Pace HD box

RayP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had to switch back to my QED Squart via the JS Tech VGA-YUV box to get reasonable PQ watching the England v Kazakhstan game. :mad:

There was so much fizzing via a decent HDMI cable from my Pace HD box I just couldn't stand it any longer.

ITV appear to be committing broadcasting suicide by refusing to allow their HD signal to be routed to Sky. And there is the good old BBC with HD and hardly any footie! :(

watching itv hd now and toggled between that and itv sd
wow its shockingly bad!!

watching itv hd now and toggled between that and itv sd
wow its shockingly bad!!

It's all the more dreadful when you consider the SD pictures are sourced from very expensive HD cameras. Why do ITV go out of their way to make the pictures so bad? If they think Sky subscribers are going to buy a Freesat box just for ITV HD they are sadly mistaken.

If C5 can output at decent bitrates there's absolutely no excuse for ITV not to do the same. Shame on them! :nono:

Same here itv sd on footy ,worst i have ever seen.should be ashamed of themselves:mad:

Better than what? What are you comparing it to?

As a wild guess I would say he is comparing it to sd itv on satellite.

If you have good freeview reception then it is no surprise that it looks better than their satellite feed as itv do not even broadcast a full pal resolution signal for their satellite service

which idiot at the FA allowed ITV to have any rights to English football? They are a disgrace (both ITV and the FA). I have had to go and find my glasses as trying to watch this blocky smudged mess has made my eyes hurt. Think I'll sue:mad:

As a wild guess I would say he is comparing it to sd itv on satellite.

Right. I don't have either, just Sky.

If you have good freeview reception then it is no surprise that it looks better than their satellite feed as itv do not even broadcast a full pal resolution signal for their satellite service

There should be broadcasting regulations to make sure they do. I watch a reasonable amount on ITV and even though I've only had HD since Wednesday I did watch Coronation St last night via HDMI and it seemed okay (for ITV).

It's just this game. PQ more like what the Kazakhstan TV service would put out or what we used to get from Mexico back in '86 and '70. :mad:

Better than watching itv 1 through an HD box.

So you gave up too! It's not city traders who should be shot - it's ITV executives! People don't pay good money for expensive kit to have the experience ruined by their tight-fistedness in not paying for sufficient bandwidth.

I have freeview, Sky HD and analogue. I watched it on analogue!!!!

Jez

There was so much fizzing via a decent HDMI cable from my Pace HD box I just couldn't stand it any longer.
It's not the HD box and it certainly isn't the cable - the blame lies with ITV's dreadful broadcasts which are starved of bandwidth and aren't even SD resolution - they're broadcasting at 544×576 (rather than 704×576 on Freeview).

Given that Freeview is plagued with compression artefacts too, on the rare occasion I watch ITV I tune into the analogue broadcast. Try it, you might prefer it!

It's not the HD box and it certainly isn't the cable - the blame lies with ITV's dreadful broadcasts which are starved of bandwidth and aren't even SD resolution - they're broadcasting at 544×576 (rather than 704×576 on Freeview).

I have full confidence in my Pace and cable. It's just that the pitch shots were so poor even compared to the studio ones you could almost be convinced the cameras were faulty! There shoud be minimum standards for broadcasting. That sort of PQ should not be allowed by OFCOM.

Given that Freeview is plagued with compression artefacts too, on the rare occasion I watch ITV I tune into the analogue broadcast. Try it, you might prefer it!

If I had a freeview box or analogue receiver I would but my PH9 is just a panel and doesn't have a tuner. PQ in everything else is superb - just ITV letting the side down as usual.

the HD feed was excellent
even my wife commented on the SD picture . It was like a zx spectrum game!
her words not mine !!
FACT:D

The picture I witnessed today on ITV1 was an absolute disgrace!
They actually managed to make Setantas picture quality look good. Atrocious. Its no wonder that ITV are going down the drain........:rolleyes:

The picture was horrendous, but the commentary and David Pleat were worse. The sooner ITV give up with football coverage, the better it'll be for all of us.

The on screen graphics are terrible as well.

Nothing is good about ITV football coverage, nothing at all.

Poor ITV PQ on Sky....What's new :confused:

Yet a couple of times the highlights have been upto spec, I watched the Man U CL highlights and the PQ wiped the floor with the usual standard of live coverage for ITV.

Different stat-muxing at work, pre-encoded content instead of on the fly, who knows but once again we all wonder how ITV have got away with it for so long, how the FA put money ahead of quality of presentation and why ITV hate SKY households so much:)

To be fair to ITV the picture quality on the footie wasn't just bad on Sky - it was little better than a Youtube video on Freeview too. :thumbsdow

The picture on my sky hd box had the worst jaggies I have ever seen!!
............at least the jaggies disappeared when I switched to freeview (still an awful picture, though).

It was that shocking on both Sky and freeview I ended up watching on analogue and to be fair it was quite good. I think im just going to watch ITV on analogue for the forseeable future. Even watched X factor on analogue and it looked very good compared to Sky and freeview.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom