ITV1 HD Freesat

Hmm wonder how it will turn out really cant wait for more channels and programs to go HD. :)

does anyone know if freesat will be on the same alignment as sky, or will we need another dish?

does anyone know if freesat will be on the same alignment as sky, or will we need another dish?

SKY and Freesat boxes will be receiving the same broadcasts from the same satellites although don't expect any channels on the Freesat EPG that are not also on the SKY EPG or added manually on either.

Once established expect a co-ordinated appeal to OFCOM to lower the set price SKY are allowed to charge for an EPG slot if as it looks inclusion and maintenance of the Freesat EPG will be far cheaper than SKY's version.

Can't believe I missed this thread.

As they've committed to Freesat (which is fair enough) will we see ITV1 HD on Sky any time shortly thereafter?

Would you expect something like 12 months exclusive headstart on Freesat for example?

I cant see this not on SKY there's already 200,000 or more SKY HD customers I doubt from launch their will be that kind of market for them for freesat.

Anyway if its DVB-S it will be able to scanned on the Other Channels, which I assume they will knowing SKY HD owners will just go and do that :D

All we can hope for are ITV HD broadcasts that look like everyone else's SD. They're not exactly setting benchmarks for quality at the moment.

As they've committed to Freesat (which is fair enough) will we see ITV1 HD on Sky any time shortly thereafter?

Would you expect something like 12 months exclusive headstart on Freesat for example?

....................or did you mean Anytime Keano?:hiya:

The only practical reason it won't be on SKY HD is because ITV refuse to pay for an EPG slot and well even ITV aren't that stubborn. As mentioned as long as ITV HD isn't going out their way to :censored: with SKY viewers (as they have done before) then it will be simple to add it manually but not record it.

It really would be stupid to deny the existing SKY HD owners (many of which do not pay SKY and use it for BBC HD and FTA/FTV) access to ITV HD when it would cost them virtually nothing in comparison to what HD costs to setup.

All we can hope for are ITV HD broadcasts that look like everyone else's SD. They're not exactly setting benchmarks for quality at the moment.

Beat me to it :D

The only practical reason it won't be on SKY HD is because ITV refuse to pay for an EPG slot and well even ITV aren't that stubborn.

Well when the BBC joined up with ITV they described the Freesat service as a, "Sky TV rival".

In fact quotes from both broadcasters in the article talk about the need to provide "subscription-free satellite services" so that directly attacks the Sky model.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4221722.stm

Don't know if that is still the stance.

It's even a possibility if its that important to SKY that they offer EPG services for nothing for use of ITVs broadcast on 28.2e

Well when the BBC joined up with ITV they described the Freesat service as a, "Sky TV rival".

In fact quotes from both broadcasters in the article talk about the need to provide "subscription-free satellite services" so that directly attacks the Sky model.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4221722.stm

Don't know if that is still the stance.

Well they would, it's good marketing to take on SKY although considering the BBC and ITV as underdogs takes some doing:)

Of course Freesat is a direct alternative to Freesatfromsky but at this time PAY satellite is still the domain of SKY and Freesat won't change that unless some broadcasters take the chance on using dual encryption and selling CAMS. It could be very good for Setanta though who would I suspect look at Freesat as another platform in the same manner as Freeview with a CAM.

It's even a possibility if its that important to SKY that they offer EPG services for nothing for use of ITVs broadcast on 28.2e

The EPG pricing is controlled by OFCOM so SKY are limited to what they can do in terms of bundling the said service in an effort to acquire new channels.

The kicker for everyone is that since 1998 SKY have told OFCOM no one can provide a 24/7 EPG with realtime updating any cheaper than the ÂŁ65,000 or rated value SKY are allowed to charge atm.
Once Freesat is live and with the EPG working in the same manner as the SKY version for dozens of UK licensed channels then a simple work with OFCOM will start a review and hey presto the SKY EPG charge drops to a token value if not scrapped all together.

When ITV started HD transmissions in the last World Cup (mainly for the limited London Freeview HD trial) didn't they sign an agreement to put their World Cup matches in HD on Telewest only and shut out Sky?

When ITV started HD transmissions in the last World Cup (mainly for the limited London Freeview HD trial) didn't they sign an agreement to put their World Cup matches in HD on Telewest only and shut out Sky?

They did indeed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4772555.stm

Some seem to be taking it for granted a little that this channel will definitely appear on Sky.

The BBC have taken a softer stance (but they have to as a public body) with the BBC HD channel looking likely to become a permanent fixture on Sky.

With the competitiveness shown in previous statements / actions by ITV though, I'm really not so sure they will follow suit.

This is good news that they are going HD next year.

But I am also happy with there SD picture at the mo.

My region is Anglia East or Anglia S.

I watch quite a bit on ITV.

I find its a better picture than some of the other channels like Bravo and Challenge which are quite poor.

Somehow ITV in HD does not excite me at all.

Channel Five or to a lesser extent Channel 4 then yes.

Somehow ITV in HD does not excite me at all.

Channel Five or to a lesser extent Channel 4 then yes.

Agreed except: Champions League, FA Cup, England games, F1. And Euro 2008 / World Cup etc

Any new HD channel is good news really. Maybe ITV can get their act together and start to provide quality programming to match their upcomming new HD service?

Maybe they should think about a trial service like BBC HD are doing at present before launch to iron out the bugs and so fourth...

Another HD channel is nothing but good news. But I can't think of anything currently on ITV that I watch. Least of all the Rugby with that god awful VHS picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom