• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ITV1, CH4 + others gone.

GiganticDays

Established Member
Over the past few months I've noticed a gradual deterioration in signal quality/strength on certain channels - namely ITV1, ITV2, Ch4, E4 etc.
A couple of days ago it became so bad that ITV1 was unwatchable (aside from the quality of the programming I mean :rolleyes:), and eventually there was no picture or sound at all.
I did a channel rescan and bugger me if I didn't lose BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 Ch4 and many others. Of course the important channels, QVC, Bid-upTV etc, are coming through loud and clear.
I did a couple of subsequent rescans and got BBC1 and 2 back but still no ITV1, CH4, ITV2, E4 etc.

My aerial is only 2 years old and was fitted by a local professional at no small cost - he also connected 4 other rooms at the same time all of which are showing all channels fine.
So is my Samsung on the blink?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Over the past few months I've noticed a gradual deterioration in signal quality/strength on certain channels - namely ITV1, ITV2, Ch4, E4 etc.
A couple of days ago it became so bad that ITV1 was unwatchable (aside from the quality of the programming I mean :rolleyes:), and eventually there was no picture or sound at all.
I did a channel rescan and bugger me if I didn't lose BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 Ch4 and many others. Of course the important channels, QVC, Bid-upTV etc, are coming through loud and clear.
I did a couple of subsequent rescans and got BBC1 and 2 back but still no ITV1, CH4, ITV2, E4 etc.

My aerial is only 2 years old and was fitted by a local professional at no small cost - he also connected 4 other rooms at the same time all of which are showing all channels fine.
So is my Samsung on the blink?

Does your aerial point towards trees, the symptoms you describe usually are caused by the leaves growing. Additionally freeview is currently affected by the high air pressure conditions

When will they fix freeview so it works on hot sunny days? - Freeview - Digital Spy Forums

GiganticDays

Established Member
No it doesn't point towards trees, and the other TVs in the house are OK. Non of them are digital though; they all use various other means of digital TV reception ie. set top box, PC with digital TV tuner card.
I suspect it may be the tuner in the Sammy - is there an easy way to find out?

I noticed that my aerial doesn't seem to be pointing in exactly the same direction as others in the street; it's off by a few degrees. Could it have moved and, if so, would that not affect the other TVs?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
No it doesn't point towards trees, and the other TVs in the house are OK. Non of them are digital though; they all use various other means of digital TV reception ie. set top box, PC with digital TV tuner card.
I suspect it may be the tuner in the Sammy - is there an easy way to find out?

I noticed that my aerial doesn't seem to be pointing in exactly the same direction as others in the street; it's off by a few degrees. Could it have moved and, if so, would that not affect the other TVs?

Connect a freeview box to the aerial used by the Samsung and the box by scart to the Samsung. If this works OK then the TV's likely faulty, if not you likely have a bad connection somewhere betweem the aerial and the TV

GiganticDays

Established Member
Just done a bit of fiddling with the connector on the aerial cable and rescanned.
Now have all channels back plus a load of German/Dutch channels (unfortunately not the right genres ;).
BBC1 and 2 have no picture but I suspect this may be due to the atmospheric conditions mentioned earlier.
So (I think) problem solved. Will monitor BBC1 and 2 when weather deteriorates :(

stentifw

Standard Member
We have a Thomson skydigibox and the same thing has happened; ITV1 on channel 103 has been replaced with ITV1 Central W, BBC1 East(E) on channel 101 has been replaced with BBC1 London, and Channel 5 on channel 105 has disappeared completely. What's going on?

GiganticDays

Established Member
Should have come back to this thread earlier. The problem I had was caused by a poor connection in the signal amplifier + atmospheric conditions.
All is ok now.

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
We have a Thomson skydigibox and the same thing has happened; ITV1 on channel 103 has been replaced with ITV1 Central W, BBC1 East(E) on channel 101 has been replaced with BBC1 London, and Channel 5 on channel 105 has disappeared completely. What's going on?
Hi welcome.
I am no expert but surely it has to do with marginal signal quality. The STB will be programmed to use the strongest set of signals. That's not a problem here in Northern Ireland as we only have one locally and we too far away from GB to get a conflicting signal from the mainland. So my TVs know what network to use. So either you are either between 2 areas or else your aerials and cabling are such that you are not optimising available signal to maximin ability and the STB "changes its mind" about which source is strongest. Perhaps atmospherics or local conditions affect signal strength.

Edit Perhaps your aerial has moved.

Incidently I cannot receive ITV or Channel4 on my second tvdespite being on the same aerial network as primary one which I put down to a combination of old style aerials, old and long cabling and perhaps the splitter/booster.
Non tech bluff by the way.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom