1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV Troubles!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    I see that the advertising revenue is down for some ITV stations. No doubt this is due to the falling viewing figures. But what caused the figures to drop? One could be the uptake of subscription channels. But I feel that more of the problem lies in ITV own court. Once of a day there was enough good viewing on terrestrial channels, without the need for others. What do they serve us up with today, is either old, out of date material, that was never good in the first place, such as Blind Date or reality programs like soapstars, soaps on every night, some times 2, endless repeats of Inspector Morse, or A Touch Of Frost.
    What happened to those brilliant programs, like ITC, ABC, etc, use to put out, such as The Saint, The Baron, Man In A Suitcase, The Persuades, The Champions, Department S, The Avengers, and The Prisoner etc? OK some might think them long in the tooth now, but required viewing then. Also we also had some very good American imports too endless to mention, these now seem only fodder for extremely late night/early morning viewing and ITV never did screen the last series of LA Law. I think the nail in the coffin (albeit minor) came with the increase in advertising breaks and more of them. OK sat is the same but terrestrial only viewer do not like it (mind you I don't either).

As to American imports on the BBC how come the brilliant Band Of Brothers, got bump to BBC2 pay all that money and not show it on your main channel?

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

2. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    One of my main gripes about ITV is that they should never be allowed to show football.

Remember the Man Utd v Bayern Munich European Cup Final - what happened as soon as the final whistle went - did they stay with the action - no - adverts. When we came back all of the initial excitement of the players and fans had calmed down - no way to reflect on the months of work that all teams had put in...

...and last weeks Liverpool v Barcelona game. Really looking forward to the match and also the highlights of the United game later on - but what happened - the commentators started giving out the score, for example "half an hour gone and no score...".

Not wanting to inadvertantly know the score I had to turn the Liverpool game off. I am sure all of the advertisers - Sony, Amstel, Mastervard et al are really chuffed that people are switching off their high priced commercials just because some eejit can't keep his mouth shut about the other games.

If you want to see how to present football properly watch the BBC, or even better Sky Sports - even they have the good sense to stay with the action.

Sorry to rattle on but this has bugged me since last week - If anybody wants to forward this on to the marketing departments of those companies advertising on ITV they may be able to force ITV to buck up their ideas...

Cheers

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    ITV have NEVER been any good at covering Sport, esp. footy.
    I remember the Man U v B Munich match and it annoyed me too, what ITV did.
    This was just one of many annoying things about ITV Sport.
    And now they expect us to watch it in glorious digital 'BLOCKOVISION'. The artetfacting is becoming so BAD that I have to watch it on analog instead (if poss).

It's an absolute crome that MOTD was taken away from the BBC and given to some third-rate TV company. But alas money talks!

Apart from sport, their main idea of family entertainment is documentaries about the public's misfortunes...'..From Hell this etc'.

Can you imagine ITV making anything like 'Walking With Dinosaurs', 'Blue Planet', 'Space' etc.

They're fast becoming like one of those cheap American cable channels where they show all those tacky, home made programmes.

ITV really are a waste of bandwidth and I really hope they go right down the pan and lose their broadcasting license.

It'll do us all a favour

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

I have to agree. Despite being only 24 years of age, I too, remember when ITV used to be worthwhile.

Who remembers quality shows like:
    - Cracker and Prime Suspect were British made, had British casts, and were worth watching?
    - The Equalizer and LA Law being on at 9pm during the week?!
    - most of the Gerry Anderson shows being on Saturday mornings
    - Star Fleet
    - Dangermouse
    - Sport Billy
    - War Of The Worlds and Alien Nation being on uncut, and uncensored on a weekly basis around midnight?

etc, etc, etc.......

The list goes on.

ITV used to be good. But now, it's (in some cases) worse than C4 and even C5 as well! There are way too many of these crappy reality shows / comedy sketch shows (ala You've Been Framed); soaps; police action series (like Busted On Camera 12); repeats; quiz shows and not enough decent material!

Even with the fact that many of the satellite stations show dross as well, they still seem to have many gems hidden in the schedules. (UK Gold is currently re-running the original Prime Suspect trilogy, which is bloody superb!)

With ITV's insistence on treating everyone as if we have attention spans of 3-seconds; the constant censoring of films; braking material before and after the news; and soooooo much advertising both during the breaks, and sponsoring of the shows themselves, it simply does my head in!

Even the BBC has started doing similar things, by advertising shows coming up, about 10 seconds before they actually air! It's so bloody patronising!

Anyway, rant over with!

Pooch

5. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I want to know how you get to become an editor of films shown on ITV. From what i can tell after watching their output through the years is you have to be able in insert and advert either

a. Halfway through a vital scene.

b. half a second into a new scene.

I can safely say that the only program i have watched on ITV lately has been SMTV:Live on a saturday morning with a hang over. I can think of not one single program that they show that i either look forward to or make a point of watching.
    Even their news output is so tacky and dumbed down. Tonight with Trevor McDonald is a laughable attempt at some serious investagative journalism.

BBC and C4 have they downpoints as well, but have gems that make you forget them, ITV, total shi*e

6. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    OK, I enjoyed the drama "Hot Money" on ITV last night, but it's still forgettable, 'throw-away' entertainment.

They never produce any 'landmark' stuff like the BBC.

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Again,

The last show I watched on ITV was the "Cracker" series with Robbie Coltraine! And that must be about 4-5 years ago, at least!

Since then, bar the rare late-night showing of an American drama or sci-fi series, ITV is utter crap!

As others have said, ITV has simply become a pale imitation of itself. If you need further proof, look what ITV is showing on Christmas Day this year.
    - The BBC has "Toy Story" (great film, digital widescreen, and a terrestrial TV premiere) and an "Only Fools And Horses Special".
    - ITV gives us "Rusell Watson At Christmas", "The Great Escape", "You've Been Framed Christmas Special", "While You Were Sleeping" and "The 3 Amigos". Absolute total dross or repeats!! (Is there anyone who actually still watches/finds funny "You've Been Framed"?!)

Hell, even Channel 5 has got "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil" at 9pm, Christmas Day night! :)

And everyone thinks C5 is garbage! Not in comparison to ITV it isn't! :D

Pooch

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    And what was that debacle over "Fools And Horses" the BBC wanted them to appear on "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" but I think the ITV came up with some ridiculous terms?
    The "The 3 Amigos" good grief who is charge at ITV?
    How many hours of soaps are we getting? (I don’t know actually but I bet its too much,( half an hour too much))
    By the way just look at Corrie. It is on 4 nights at 7:30 then on its on at 8:00 one night for no reason at all. They know how to program, not.

9. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It was a great idea from John Sullivan, Delboy on WWTBAM, the trouble was is that ITV wanted the rights to repeat the program. So in effect the BBC would make the program but have to allow ITV to show it when they liked. OFAH being one of the crown jewels the BBC has, it wasnt going to happen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/tv_and_radio/newsid_1667000/1667946.stm

I wasn't too sure whether i wanted them to make any more OFAH. The last trilogy finished so perfectly with them finally making it, and then with the actors who played Uncle Albert and Mike (barman at Nags Head) dying recently it wouldn't have been the same. On the other hand i would love to see more programs so....

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    I think I read that the BBC didn’t mind letting the ITV show it on their channel once in the new year, but ITV wanted the BBC to pay all the actors etc, the repeat screening fees. Bang when some free WWTBAM advertising on the BBC.
    Wouldn’t mind seeing a least a spin off of Trigger, he cracks me up no end.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    Pooch JD your right about the Christmas Day programming (just seen it), 1hour of Emmerdale, just over that for Coronation Street and dross, and Christmas Eve even worse. Soaps and the umpteenth repeat of A Touch Of Frost. Someone has certainly lost the plot at ITV.

12. Droogie 2001

Droogie 2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have to agree with everyone’s comments.
    I absolutely hate ITV, especially 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?'

The very first series was interesting now they have:

''Who Wants to be a Millionaire with couples'
    'Who Wants to be a Millionaire with stars'

What ever next 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire with pets!'
    or 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire with prision convicts'

Then there's Carol Vorderman (mutton dressed as lamb)and her irritating show's

'Britain’s brainiest kid' and ''Britain’s brainiest teacher'

What do they think the British public are like? The trouble is alot of these people love all of this kind of dross.

Glad to get that off my chest!

13. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should try working for the b***ers!