ITV Testing upscaled SD

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not visible on freesat boxes, but available on Sky HD (with new EPG) and FTA boxes that can tune ITV HD. Testing with upscaled SD from Granada region.

We'll see in a couple of minutes:)

This decision by ITV really does underline the value of DTT HD over Dsat HD to the company and perhaps the industry as a whole.

We'll see in a couple of minutes:)

This decision by ITV really does underline the value of DTT HD over Dsat HD to the company and perhaps the industry as a whole.

Interesting statement, would you care to expand on possible reasons for this decision?

How long will it last - are we going to get upscaled Matrix Reloaded?
Yes, I was able to record The Matrix Reloaded in (upscaled) HD last night using my Windows 7 PC with a Hauppauge Nova-HD-S2 card.

We're back to the 'unavailable' screen this morning though.

Me too. I set my Win 7 HTPC, running MediaPortal 1.0.2 with a scheduled timer, and it recorded The Matrix Reloaded just fine. I will have to upload some screengrabs somewhere, but it looks like ITV HD have done a good job here... :thumbsup:

Can this be received in non-freesat mode on the foxsat hdr?

.....but it looks like ITV HD have done a good job here... :thumbsup:
I doubt it when they show their films chopped to pieces and also in the wrong aspect ratio. The DVD is only £3 or £4, much better picture on that than an ITV broadcast.

Indeed. I don't understand the 'broadcast at the wrong ratio so it must be crap' argument. If you want to watch it as it is intended go and watch it in the cinema! If you want to watch it in DVD format, buy the DVD! If you want to watch it in Blu-ray/HD-DVD format, buy the appropriate discs!

Some screenies here: http://s442.photobucket.com/albums/qq149/son_tpics/Upscaled ITV HD/

Last edited:
The lunchtime news was in upscaled HD. It looked pretty good on my Freesat Humax box.

Something strange with Nicky Campbell on his lunchtime gameshow. The pictures were like stacatto effect as if he was a puppet.

Would this be part of the test?

Back to the unavailable test card now.

Interesting statement, would you care to expand on possible reasons for this decision?

I believe that DTT is seen as the mass market platform for free television and as such ITVHD operating on there along with BBC, CH4 and Five it will quickly become the biggest source of free HD for the UK eclipsing Freesat despite a couple of years head start. As seen with the adoption of Freeview more homes than not will be able to add HD simply by buying a suitable receiver and even though adding a dish is not that big of a hassle people like simple.

The indifference of ITVHD towards Dsat in terms of using the 24/7 bandwidth at least to me shows their lack of desire to put the viewers first where as on DTT they are being forced to meet certain demands to get the PSB dividend and the removal of regional issues makes DTT more attractive or at least less hassle for the corporation.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom