ITV Sports coming to Sky ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by monkeyleader, Feb 5, 2002.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hey,

I have Sky and NTL and although 99.9% of my viewing is done via Sky I have NTL for the ITV sports channel, which I only actually use on Tuesday nights for the Champions League. It used to be that this was also the only way I could get ITV.

I also have a cable modem and NTL insist you take out either a telephone or digital TV package as well. So for what I want

NTL Model + ITV Sports = 19.99 + 4.99 = 24.98

I have to get

NTL Model + ITV Sports + Digital TV Package = 24.98 + 10.00

I was wondering are there any plans for Sky to cover the ITV sports channel as I would then consider ADSL for my modem.

thanks,

Nigel

2. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The short answer is yes but the long answer is when? and at the moment that is up for debate. I know itv sport are already on the SKY epg under other channels but obiviously encrypted. The big stumbling block is cost, sky want ITV to pay quite a bit and the last I heard talks had broken. I tend to keep my eye on http://www.wotsat.com plus a few other pages.

Don't be too hasty would be my advice.

gbmitie

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    If ITV sports is going to appear on the SKY D platform they are going to have to seriously improve the feed they send to the subscriber. How NTL actually signed contracts with ITV and then didn't specify some quality levels is beyond me.
    Live football on ITV sport through NTL D is quite simply the most pathetic attempt at mpeg2 compression I have ever seen, it's a disgrace to the technology and the few thousand poor souls who subscribe to the service.