ITV Regional

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Superhoops, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

Since I joined Virgin a few months ago from Sky there is one thing that has bugged me (well several actually but this is the one I want to ask about today!)

My tv area is Anglia but the ITV channel always has ITV London so when they go to local news, local weather etc it is London not my area. I know I can go to ITV Anglia in the EPG but it would be much more useful to have it in the EPG below BBC2 where ITV London is now.

Should the V+ not have put my local ITV region in as the default ITV channel when installed?

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Certainly they should have done this.I live in the same area as you and get Anglia and BBC East local news. The only time I get London news is during the BBC Breakfast programme shown on BBC News channel. Have a little moan !

3. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks mike7. Will ring them tomorrow. Cheers. Hoops

4. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I rang India today to be told there was nothing they could do, that is how the system is set up. He apologized fifty million times rather than trying to actually sort the problem out. So even though I don't live in London I have to put up with London news, weather and travel reports unless I change the channel to some obscure channel number.

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    They may be telling absolute hogwash. I have been on cable in Norwich for 8 years. Through Cable and Wireless,NTL and now Virgin (V+). I have had a number of different boxes. I have NEVER been able to select any other ITV other than Anglia (Chan 103) and BBC East (Chan 101). Are you sure you are not watching 8** numbers. These are England/Ireland/Scotland/Wales versions of BBC etc. There are also Audio descriptive national channels in that range for people with visual difficulties. I've never checked but these may be the 'London' ones you are watching.

101 BBC1
    102 BBC 2
    103 Anglia ITV
    104 Channel 4
    105 Channel 5
    106 BBC 3 and so on....seems logical to me.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    NO I am watching 101,102, 103 etc. I am in Leighton Buzzard, not as far into East Anglia as you are in Norwich, however I always have had Anglia news etc. It is Anglia news that gives the travel, weather etc for my area, not London. When I was on Sky before joining Virgin a couple of months ago I got Anglia, and before that when I just had 1,2,3,4,5 through the aerial I got Anglia.
    It isn't a major worry but an annoyance that just seems daft.

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    That is very annoying and I agree that you would have thought Virgin would show the same channels as the local Terrestial services. I grew up in Bedfordshire and it always seemed to be on the edge of something else, so I guess that includes TV which I would expect you get from Sandy Heath. This is something that Virgin should look into as I am sure you are not the only one with this problem.

8. Superhoops

Superhoops
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will send an email to them. May get more joy than speaking to the other side of the world. Thanks for your responses.

9. essbeeuk

essbeeuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Looking on the map, it appears that you are right on a border of regions... some maps show it as London, others as Anglia... but I would agree you should be getting Anglia West from Sandy Heath, although VM are probably basing it on you being closer to London than Norwich.