itv picture quality

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by steviep68, Mar 28, 2006.

1. steviep68

steviep68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    can someone tell me why pic quality on itv is so poor on live events?
    i'm watching the champions league so dont want to do a search apologies! i have sky+

2. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tonights game does seem particularly bad quality i agree :thumbsdow

anyway - the goal makes it a bit better :thumbsup:

3. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If your watching on a flat panel this its likely due to the low bitrates that broadcasters use. CRT's manage to mask the problems of low bitrates but Flat Panels are not so good.

It does not look that bad on my LCD. I'm just happy that Arsenal are at home so its in widescreen as it looks even worse in stretched 4:3. Get used to it as its likely its the sort of quality we will see for ITV's coverage of the World Cup.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Quite a lot on sky is poor quality ,doesn't even come close to analogue most of the time although some are channels can be very good.
    I never watch the analogue channels through sky.

5. steviep68

steviep68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    understand blakey, but it doesnt seem as bad on bbc for some reason. can itv use less bandwidth or whatever it is than bbc?

ordered sky ht so should look better a month or so from now i hope

great goal as well while i was writing the first post!

6. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm watching on LCD front projection, which can exagerrate poor quality, however Sky Football always looks great:clap: , bbc always looks good :D and ITV always looks *****e:nono: , everytime.

Roll on HD and higher bitrates

and everytime i post arsenal score

:thumbsup:

7. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Each broadcaster decide what bitrate they use. The BBC averages about 3.5mbps whilst DVD's are about 6-9Mbps. Not sure about the ITV but it probably averages somewhere around 3mbps. Broadcasters tend to have a number or stations on each transponder. I think the BBC has about 9 on each. The broadcasters use variable bitrates so depending whats on means they may throw more bitrates one programme than another. So if a mjor Football event is on they may throw 6 at that channel and reduce the others.

Sky HD will really only affect the 8 channels Sky have. Therefore it will not affect ITV. The BBC HD channel will affect the programmes it broadcasts but not anything on BBC1. The HD channels will broadcast at about the equiv of 18mbps so about 5-6 times that of the SD channels! The Sky SD Channels are very good though

Great second goal too:thumbsup:

8. steviep68

steviep68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    once again im afraid not doing a search, and just cant trawl through the sky ht thread where lots of posts are from 6 year olds, dont know how they can afford it! but are you getting ht blakey? seem to have your finger on the pulse so to speak about av.

just an awesome win by arsenal, watching henri is like watching ali in his prime

9. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah lets hope they can finish off the job next week and go on to win the cup and then the master will sign a new contract.

As for Sky HD well not likely to buy into to it at the moment. I own a Pal optimised Sharp P50e. Its great for SD and probably why ITV Football on my set is pretty watchable. Not sure how good its is for Sky HD as it on has 540 lines. Ive seen HD demos on it but Skys a different thing.

To be honest there is nothing really on Sky HD I would watch apart from the football and therefore for me I dont think its worth the price. Also I'm worried about the actual true amount a HD compared to Scaled SD which will be on each channel. Whilst alot of the HD i've seen is excellent some has been pretty average and therefore I dont think many will be amazed as some are suggesting. Most of the in shop demos are designed to make the best of HD and I dont think are a true representation of Sky HD.

Once launched though I will have a look but I will probably wait until there is more content before I consider signing in up.

The HD forum is probably the best best to look to get an idea regarding HD. I agree the Sky HD forum can be a bit childish but some have been waiting ages for their new toy and I think they are getting a bit over excited.