ITV News : DVD Recorder Format War!!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jonny1973, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone see the ITV News last night?

They were talking about the DVD Recorder format war. Why on earth was that on the news?????

DVD Recorders have been around for a couple of years, there's always been 2 formats. It's hardly breaking news. I guess the programme must have been sponsored by Dixon$.

2. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There was also an article yesterday saying that 'What Hi-Fi' had said not to buy a DVD writer until the format war was sorted.

Not sure which paper as saw it over a shoulder on the
    Underground but perhaps ITN picked up on that - after all with potential war in the Gulf, starvation in Africa again, England being crap at cricket etc there can't be much important to report.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw it too, I loved the way they talked to an "Expert" about it; he was working in Dixons! Three formats: DVD-RAM, DVD-RW and DVD+RW - oops - where's DVD-R???

Someone, I forget who, said you wouldn't be able to play some of them in a few years time. "Just like betamax!"

DaveP

4. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I saw that too. Real scare mongering if u ask me!

At least the one 'expert' did point out that even if u did buy the 'wrong' format you could still use the recorder for recording and playing DVD videos until the end of the recorders life.

However no expert stated that all the recorders could record onto DVD-R's or +R's to make a DVD Video that would then play in most people's machines?

5. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The editor of Total DVD was on Radio 5 at 11.00pm last night talking about the DVD format war.

Those that didn't know much about DVD might have been put off buying a player as they may have thought that the format war affected players, whilst those of us that do know a bit about the subject are aware of the differing formats.

HD recorder for me anyway :)

7. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The what Hi Fi advice is just plain crazy!. Follow that advice and you will never buy a DVD writer as there will be format differences for many many years to come if not forever. Even the future Blu-ray format is being squabbled over with differences here and differences there between one future maker and another.

Any one wanting a DVD recorder who can afford should buy now and enjoy. The so called format war is not nearly as important as the differences that were between Betamax and VHS. All DVD formats can produce compatible recording with normal DVD players. So there is no real problem. When the media doesn't report news it loves to try and make news. Inore it!!!

8. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Confucius,do you have any idea how much the sony dvd recorder will cost?
    regards,
    G.M.

9. Duvel

Duvel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I read this months What Hi-Fi review of DVD recorders and some of the stuff written about the various machines and formats was just plain mis-leading. Sometimes I wonder where they get these so called experts from:rolleyes:

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Probably the bloke in comet, who told me that you should take out insurance on a plasma screen because the plasma gas needs to be changed every year to stop black spots appearing, and who also told my brother who was buying a £100 freeview box that a £69 monster scart lead would make 60% improvement to the picture connected to a 14" portable!

11. G.M

G.M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    confucius, can't find any info. on the sony dvd recorder anywhere,
    Can you provide a link(s)?
    Would like to know if it has a digital input or not.
    Was thinking about the philips 890, but may wait if the sony looks worthwhile.
    regards,
    G.M.

12. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    there is this one available now from sony for your pc, Sony DRU500A DVD Duo Recorder
    now thats worth buying
    ;)

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    I may be wrong but I fail to see the point of this machine. Surely it's cheaper (media wise) just to adopt a system that suits your individual needs? You can safely do this because none of the DVD recording formats currently available are going to become obsolete for three reasons:

1) The technology used in all three formats forms the basis of a variety of PC/Mac solutions meaning both write-once and rewritable media will continue to be available.

2) All recorders can burn DVD-R/+R which can play on most standalone DVD players. Certainly the percentage of players that can't play these disks is reducing NOT increasing.

3) All three recorder formats will have a much shorter life than VHS when replaced by a High Definition/High Capacity solution (e.g. Blu Ray).