ITV itself says "TV HD is only available through freesat"

Phlog

Novice Member
If you go over to ITV.com you'll see that it's pretty definitive, for the moment. Of course, pressure groups might bring about a change of heart?

"Can I use my existing set-top box?
No, to get ITV HD you’ll need a Freesat digital box or TV with Freesat HD built in - look for the Freesat logo on the product. You’ll also need a satellite dish installed, which you can arrange with your Freesat-approved retailer when you buy your Freesat product."

www.itv.com/Help/ITVHDQuestions/default.html

ijd

Novice Member
well I have a communal aerial and dish, i am happy with my sky HD and free sat is out of the question, the poor programming and excessive adverts, don't really appeal to me, so i for one will not be particularly bothered, although it does seem strange that a company that relies on getting adverts into peoples homes is limiting itself in this way, although no real surprise as ITV really are a second rate channel.

BrianMc

Novice Member
If you go over to ITV.com you'll see that it's pretty definitive, for the moment. Of course, pressure groups might bring about a change of heart?
ITVHD (the test anyway) is being hidden from "manual tuning" on Sky-HD STBs - and from almost all FTA satellite receivers - by "bending" the DVB transmission parameters - possibly in a way that OFCOM will object to! It's certainly not very DVB-compliant!

It woiuld serve ITV right if Sky went and tweaked the manual tuning algorithm of their STBs to match!

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
ITVHD (the test anyway) is being hidden from "manual tuning" on Sky-HD STBs - and from almost all FTA satellite receivers - by "bending" the DVB transmission parameters - possibly in a way that OFCOM will object to! It's certainly not very DVB-compliant!

It woiuld serve ITV right if Sky went and tweaked the manual tuning algorithm of their STBs to match!
Though AIUI Ofcom have far fewer regulatory controls on satellite than they do on digital terrestrial, as they don't gift the DSat spectrum (broadcasters have to pay for it), whereas they do provide the DTT spectrum. I don't think they have any major technical controls - just content controls on satellite. In fact I think broadcasters can pretty much do what they like in terms of DVB implementations on satellite?

(On Freeview Ofcom mandate ITV1, C4 and five to broadcast at full SD res - 720x576 or 704x576, whereas on DSat , where Ofcom have less control, they are 544x576)

ijd

Novice Member
598 views and only 3 replies, two of those about the way itv are broadcast, does this just back up what i said and that know one really cares about itv

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom