• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

ITV HD -Stereo only-No 5.1 Audio

I

insider

ITV has only stereo equipment in its new presentation and transmission facility in West London. HD productions are not being requested to provide any 5.1 audio. Another example of ITV shooting itself in the foot. Unsurprising then that yesterday's press launch made no mention of 5.1 audio....

Bachstrad

Novice Member
ITV has only stereo equipment in its new presentation and transmission facility in West London. HD productions are not being requested to provide any 5.1 audio. Another example of ITV shooting itself in the foot. Unsurprising then that yesterday's press launch made no mention of 5.1 audio....

Thanks for the info, but I have to say I'm not surprised by the news if it proves to be fact. :rolleyes:

ATB

Max

Gae

Novice Member
Yes...the demo loop of London that they've been transmitting has only ever been 2/0 stereo...never seen 5:1 appear over the past few days of checking it in DVBViewer.

Gae

muffins

Well, well I guess its true what they say...you can polish a turd all day but at the end of the day its still a turd. :rotfl:

KeanosMagicHat

Novice Member
Seems to be a lot of mixed information coming out about ITV HD.

"And it’s not just the picture that will benefit – many shows will be broadcast in stunning surround sound"

Taken from the official website;

ITV HD Website Link

Bachstrad

Novice Member
Seems to be a lot of mixed information coming out about ITV HD.

"And it’s not just the picture that will benefit – many shows will be broadcast in stunning surround sound"

Taken from the official website;

ITV HD Website Link

Well I suppose some Films will have Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound encoded in the stereo source, so they're not actually telling porkies .... but it's hardly DD5.1 is it? :rolleyes:

ATB

Max

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Granada used to make ITV drama in Dolby Stereo (i.e. Prologic decodable surround) - and ISTR that the Dolby logo used to appear on some of their credits.

That could be what they mean - or as usual it could be the PR dept not realising what the technical standards are.

AIUI ITV HD is 2.0 at the moment...

mattclarkie

Novice Member
Stunning surround sound, if you have a pro-logic amp you get stunning surround sound from a mono source if by stunning you mean the same sound from all speakers.

I would expect a few pro-logic broadcast, but no DD 5.1.

derek500

Crazy. Yet Sky's new show 'Don't Forget the Lyrics' is being made at ITV's The London Studios and I'll be very surprised if it's not in 5.1!!

Martin J.

Novice Member
Stunning surround sound, if you have a pro-logic amp you get stunning surround sound from a mono source if by stunning you mean the same sound from all speakers.
FYI you can't get surround using Pro Logic from a mono source, in those instances the audio will emanate from the centre channel only.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Crazy. Yet Sky's new show 'Don't Forget the Lyrics' is being made at ITV's The London Studios and I'll be very surprised if it's not in 5.1!!

Yep - though TLS provide what the market demands - not just what ITV uses.

Has TLS upgraded Studio 1 to HD now - or are Sky making DFTL in SD? If it is SD (their website still suggests TLS Studio 1 is SD 16:9 using quite old Ikes) then Sky may be happy with 2.0 stereo - hadn't heard of TLS upgrading to surround or HD.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
DFTL is HD, I got it in Anytime the other day and it was definately HD.

That wasn't enough to make me watch Shane Richie.

Hellicopter

My understanding is that TLS hire in OB trucks for the recordings.Such trucks were parked outside for about 4 days a couple of months ago.

Alan

Ragnarok

Yes...the demo loop of London that they've been transmitting has only ever been 2/0 stereo...never seen 5:1 appear over the past few days of checking it in DVBViewer.

Gae

actually it's been mono!! only today has the sound finally gone stereo!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom