ITV HD on Freesat ch103 .. no signal in Dover on Meridian southeast

windup

Only just found out that ITV Meridain HD has changed channels from Nov 3rd. I lost it on my Virgin cable ch113 but now it is on 103. Nobody told me grrrrr
I also lost the Meridian HD feed on my Panasonic DVD sat box .
If i retune the freesat tuner to my Dover postcode ch 103 has no signal. If I retune on the Astra/hotbird tuner I can only get Meridian South on HD... on two different channels so should one of these be for the southeast
Anyone got any ideas and should i retune manually to a new configuration... if so what should that be but WHY only this channel?
My dish signal is 100%- 90%
cheers

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
freesat receivers should auto retune overnight during housekeeping. However if reception is poor on one or two transponder frequencies this may mean 'no signal' on the logical channel number.

ITV Meridian has three variants... the one for Dover area being Meridian East HD? That transmits on
12,363 MHz, Vertical polarisation SR:27500 FEC:2/3
Check the signal strength and quality on that frequency (both numbers are important, but Q is more important than S). The same transponder frequency also carries ITV London HD. This used to be available on a 9xx LCN throughout the UK because it was the only one to have Audio Description, but now all ITV HD channels carry AD.

I'm thinking a high-frequency loss issue with cabling? Do you get 12382 H OK? (148 Food Network, 172 Quest and others)?

Meridian North HD and South HD are on 11097 MHz, V SR:23000 FEC:3/4 which has been known to cause problems with some (older) Panasonic kit, but not yours, obviously. Note the programme differences will only be obvious during some adverts and local news bulletins.

LCN 111 will have your SD variant on it, at least for now.

windup

freesat receivers should auto retune overnight during housekeeping. However if reception is poor on one or two transponder frequencies this may mean 'no signal' on the logical channel number.

ITV Meridian has three variants... the one for Dover area being Meridian East HD? That transmits on
12,363 MHz, Vertical polarisation SR:27500 FEC:2/3
Check the signal strength and quality on that frequency (both numbers are important, but Q is more important than S). The same transponder frequency also carries ITV London HD. This used to be available on a 9xx LCN throughout the UK because it was the only one to have Audio Description, but now all ITV HD channels carry AD.

I'm thinking a high-frequency loss issue with cabling? Do you get 12382 H OK? (148 Food Network, 172 Quest and others)?

Meridian North HD and South HD are on 11097 MHz, V SR:23000 FEC:3/4 which has been known to cause problems with some (older) Panasonic kit, but not yours, obviously. Note the programme differences will only be obvious during some adverts and local news bulletins.

LCN 111 will have your SD variant on it, at least for now.
Thanks Rodders thats very useful info
I've been searching for an answer for weeks now and suddenly all sorts of info has appeared.
I emailed ITV and they gave a typical bland answer but suggested older freesat kit might need upgrading so as always that's a possible.
However, various others working in the industry have reported similar problems to mine surrounding the ch 103 changeover especially around Wales regions. It appears ITV have combined some local SD areas into one general channel HD feed in their quest to phase out SD and make it all HD so maybe my issue will eventually be solved as they change more feeds.
We've also had numerous retunes from the Dover freeview feeds because of ch5 issues and my LG 4K Tv refuses to tune in to some of those one day then will do the next.. which is why I started using freesat as an alternative to both Virgin and freeview.
I'll work thru yr suggestions but in the meantime I can use the other Meridian HD feed without the local news items. I really don't want to retune the Astra feed as it takes an hour and then edit hundreds of unwanted ch.
Anyone else having issues then plse add comment.
cheers guys.

windup

update.. retuned my freesat tuner yet again and now get ITV HD on 103, although its still not the Dover region. Only get that on Virgin cable 103 so presume the satellite feeds are not getting the right location data. I live in hope but life must go on.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
update.. retuned my freesat tuner yet again and now get ITV HD on 103, although its still not the Dover region. Only get that on Virgin cable 103 so presume the satellite feeds are not getting the right location data. I live in hope but life must go on.

The variant of ITV-HD you get on freesat box depends on a database stored on a the Freesat home transponder. There is not a seperate satellite ITV-HD source for all terrestrial transmiitters. You will have the region most appropriate for the postcode you used on setup.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Agreed. The postcode you've entered is probably "wrong" so allocates the wrong ITV HD to 103.

Do a manual tune and report the signal/quality readings for the transponder frequencies I've given, as well as what gets reported on, say BBC One HD 106 and BBC One SD, 101...

What BBC One SD variant does your latest retune give you? Dover area should be BBC One South East from Tunbridge Wells. But if you've got ITV Meridian South HD then likely you'll be BBC South from Southampton.

Very, very rarely a postcode is mis-allocated. Most of those were flushed out before I retired in 2006, though.

steve Radioman

Novice Member
Only just found out that ITV Meridain HD has changed channels from Nov 3rd. I lost it on my Virgin cable ch113 but now it is on 103. Nobody told me grrrrr
If i retune the freesat tuner to my Dover postcode ch 103 has no signal. If I retune on the Astra/hotbird tuner I can only get Meridian South on HD... on two different channels so should one of these be for the southeast
Anyone got any ideas and should i retune manually to a new configuration... if so what should that be but WHY only this channel?
cheers
I live is SE UK and had the same problem. I found the fix in this forum. You have to change the symbol rate to 9750/10600 then scan freesat.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I
I live is SE UK and had the same problem. I found the fix in this forum. You have to change the symbol rate to 9750/10600 then scan freesat.
Not Symbol Rate.
Those numbers are the standard $ky/freesat/universal LNB local oscillator number... 9.75 GHz lo band and 10.60 GHz hi band, and seldom (if ever) altered by most freesat or $ky users in their receivers.

(9750 MHz and 10600 MHz).

steve Radioman

Novice Member
Yes you are correct. In my case it was set to the one above which works for nearly all other channels. It was an easy fix and should help others with the same issue. I have an LG tv with Freesat.

windup

Thanks guys for all yr help and ideas. I'll certainly try out the various suggestions. Meridian seems to repeat most general local news items on all its feeds and the weather report from The South is close enough to Dover .. although Dover often gets the worst of any passing rain.
I'll update later if I manage to retune.. now all we need is for the BBC to provide BBC Southeast on HD considering the licence fee.
thanks again :thumbsup:

windup

actually it was set to those figures anyway.. good try tho. I might try a North London postcode to see what happens. cheers

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I might try a North London postcode to see what happens. cheers
A North London one will certainly get you the BBC London and ITV London variants which will be "even wrong-er news" for the Dover area.

I'd suggest the BBC Studios postcode TN1 1QQ for the correct region of BBC SouthEast and ITV HD Meridian East for Dover area if it's a postcode issue.
Or even the ITV Maidstone postcode ME14 5NZ as that's in Kent.

grayus

Standard Member
cheers
I am having the same trouble just on itv hd 103 the rest are fine I was thinking of buying a sat amplifier,but waiting to see what other members think of a booster for freesat

Methanoid

I

Not Symbol Rate.
Those numbers are the standard $ky/freesat/universal LNB local oscillator number... 9.75 GHz lo band and 10.60 GHz hi band, and seldom (if ever) altered by most freesat or $ky users in their receivers.

(9750 MHz and 10600 MHz).

I see magic words that might help me... Trying to set up ANY software for a dual DVB-S2 card and the difficulty seems to be around LNB setup. Astra 28.2 ISTR starts at 10600? And is the LNB switched by 22kHz still or Diseq? I have a Sky quad LNB with 2 going to my Sky HD and two to my office with the Sat card

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom