Quantcast

ITV HD on a Sky HD Box - Second PIN Required

DaveCheltenham

Yesterday afternoon (6th April 2009), I was trying to test ITV HD on different resolutions with my Thompson Sky HD box..

Strangely, it required a second PIN (the first being to get into Other Channels)to view the channel; i.e. like an 18 certified movie in the daytime. I put in my Sky PIN which did not work and it gave you the usual 3 chances.

I wonder if ITV are testing additional security so only FreeSat boxes can receive ITV HD? It would be easy for FreeSat boxes to automatically provide a PIN

Later on, it went back to normal requiring no PIN and LA Law was watched without a problem.

Regards

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
Yesterday afternoon (6th April 2009), I was trying to test ITV HD on different resolutions with my Thompson Sky HD box..

Strangely, it required a second PIN (the first being to get into Other Channels)to view the channel; i.e. like an 18 certified movie in the daytime. I put in my Sky PIN which did not work and it gave you the usual 3 chances.

I wonder if ITV are testing additional security so only FreeSat boxes can receive ITV HD? It would be easy for FreeSat boxes to automatically provide a PIN

Later on, it went back to normal requiring no PIN and LA Law was watched without a problem.

Regards
A little confused here. Can you elaborate please.

Firstly, ITV HD only ever transmits when a programme is on and there have never been any weekday daytime shows on to my knowledge,

Are you saying they were showing something as a test yesterday?

Secondly, LA Law??? That is on one of the ITV sister channels but has never been on ITV HD.

Did you mean Law and Order: UK. perhaps?

Starburst

Novice Member

Regards

I would assume the ability to PIN protect beyond the standard age restrictions requires full access to SKY's interactive and subscriber management services neither of which ITVHD can use. As Freesat uses totally different middleware then even if by some chance ITVHD was embedded with some sort of well encryption it could not be carried over to SKY unless it was designed from scratch and then as a non-epg channel there is nothing for ITVHD to hook into SKY firmware wise.

The advantage of a manually added channe is that it is not affected by the secondary layer of services, the downside is that also means no recording.

I'll have a look at the footy tonight and see if it asks for a PIN but apart from the parental control activating if you change the resolution I can not see what it could have been.

DaveCheltenham

To answer the queries:-
Jaycee

When there is no program, there is a caption to say ITV HD is unavailable 24/7 and this answers the second point also.

Sorry, I did mean Law and Order UK.

Starburst

I don't know whether individual channels can be protected with differing PIN's within the DVB-S standard. All I know is my usual PIN did not work.

The absence of secondary layer of services for manually added channels as you put it would not affect the channel PIN protection if this is what it was?

If the PIN protection was to the DVB-S standard, it would not need to hook into the Sky firmware. For instance, websites can be password protected in a similar manner.

As Law and Order UK was OK last night, I see no reason why the football shouldn't be tonight.

Regards

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
I guess they could be determined to make ITV HD Freesat only as the promotions for it keep saying it is.

A shame for everyone if true and any shareholders of Sky ought to be demanding to know why they own a large chunk of a company that goes out of its way to stop its own customers from watching their free to watch channel.

It might even get ITV into some hot water as it is effectively making ITV HD a pay channel since you would have to pay to get a Freesat box to watch it.

Let us hope it is not that.

Starburst

Novice Member
I don't know whether individual channels can be protected with differing PIN's within the DVB-S standard. All I know is my usual PIN did not work.

The absence of secondary layer of services for manually added channels as you put it would not affect the channel PIN protection if this is what it was?

If the PIN protection was to the DVB-S standard, it would not need to hook into the Sky firmware. For instance, websites can be password protected in a similar manner.

As Law and Order UK was OK last night, I see no reason why the football shouldn't be tonight.

Regards

I didn't consider that this sort of protection could be part of the DVB-S standard, I certainly don't know enough about the specification though to be sure but I can't really see is as likely. Obviously the SKY firmware was involved to ask for a PIN in the first place for Other Channels and SKY shall we say are selective in the support for anything beyond the DVB-S spec that doesn't help them just as ITVHD is a slap in the face for the standard:)
The DVB-S spec is one thing but all functions have to be run through the receviers middleware (Mheg5 for Freesat and OPEN for SKY) to allow for user input so I can not see how a manually added channel with no direct ties to the functions of the SKY EPG (no listing, no recording, no live pause etc etc) could ask for a PIN via the SKY GUI which means something else was at work and that would on the surface be the Parental control.

If you ever see this again post away, if others can test theirs in the same time period we may clear the waters a little including the use of a generic or PC based tuner.

I

IanMerseyside

I hope there isn't any problem with the football tonight. I have been waiting to see what ITV HD looks like since receiving the new EPG last week. I have added it to the other channels and everything seemed ok but obviously no broadcasts so far to test it.

mateybloke

Novice Member
I've seen that pin message come up on manually added channels in the past.
Its the way the Sky box behaves if its missing age rating information.
Could be the way the box is setup.My Tomson from May 2006 has no problem & does not prompt.

Watching ITV HD right now,bloody good picture.

I'd never thought I'd say that about an ITV channel:D

Starburst

Novice Member
Could be the way the box is setup.My Tomson from May 2006 has no problem & does not prompt.

Yes, no point having a PIN on normal channels if young billy can simply add the channel manually hence the PIN on the front gate of the Other Channel menu.
However the OP was saying he had the first PIN to get to Other Channels but was asked again after ITVHD was selected and the SKY PIN didn't work.

I have to put a PIN to get into Other Channels but don't have to bother when watching movies at anytime of the day, thought I was the only one:)

Yeah, take note ITV, better pictures will bring in a few more viewers especially those with flat panels.

I

IanMerseyside

Totally agree. Even the Arsenal highlights later whilst not in HD looked great. The main game definitely looked as good as Sky in terms of PQ.:clap:

mateybloke

Novice Member
Yes, no point having a PIN on normal channels if young billy can simply add the channel manually hence the PIN on the front gate of the Other Channel menu.
However the OP was saying he had the first PIN to get to Other Channels but was asked again after ITVHD was selected and the SKY PIN didn't work.

I have to put a PIN to get into Other Channels but don't have to bother when watching movies at anytime of the day, thought I was the only one:)

Yeah, take note ITV, better pictures will bring in a few more viewers especially those with flat panels.
I dont have to put in a pin to get into other channels.

Had a dig around the new EPG & I cant find the menu for the stuff I turned off to do with prompting for a pin.

If the options been removed then I guess your box may be stuck the way it was last set before the upgrade.

Starburst

Novice Member
I dont have to put in a pin to get into other channels.

Had a dig around the new EPG & I cant find the menu for the stuff I turned off to do with prompting for a pin.

If the options been removed then I guess your box may be stuck the way it was last set before the upgrade.

That's even better, always worried every new firmware update would cripple my system like so many others:)
I never had PIN issues with my SKY+ and the same bonus carried over to SKY+HD, you can turn parental control off on playback but unlike others never needed it for live viewing of 15/18 rated content pre-watershed either.

I

IanMerseyside

That's even better, always worried every new firmware update would cripple my system like so many others:)
I never had PIN issues with my SKY+ and the same bonus carried over to SKY+HD, you can turn parental control off on playback but unlike others never needed it for live viewing of 15/18 rated content pre-watershed either.
Mine is the opposite. I don't need the PIN for adding/viewing other channels but always need it for viewing 15/18 material during the daytime.

mateybloke

Novice Member
I watched the instructional video on anytime last night.So I now know where parental controls are.

Press Services,press left.

It under parental (padlock icon)

You can turn it all off in there.Quite a lot of settings.