ITV HD is Live (Well upscaled SD)

gurka

Established Member
Reaction score
Yep am watching it now ! Hopefully they will be showing the UEFA Cups Final tonight in HD ????

back to colour bars for now!

Phew!! For a minute then I thought I wasn't receiving the "live" transmission on my PC. After keeping my eye on the demo for 4 days, that would have been really annoying too. :rolleyes:

Gae

How does that work then? I thought the freesat receivers were just FTA digital receivers with the freesat EPG software in them? Surely ITV HD is broadcast from the same satellite as Sky and can't be encrypted otherwise the freesat receivers wouldn't be able to receive it. I'm sure I read a report somewhere saying the HDCI2000 can receive ITVHD.

I thought the freesat receivers were just FTA digital receivers with the freesat EPG software in them? Surely ITV HD is broadcast from the same satellite as Sky and can't be encrypted otherwise the freesat receivers wouldn't be able to receive it.

That's what's confusing me, too. If it's unencrypted and FTA then how come Sky boxes can't pick it up?

Maybe if we can find out the exact frequency its being broadcasted on we can hack into it. If you press SERVICES on your sky remote then 4 SYSTEM SETUP and then 4 again ADD CHANNELS. You can manully add channels inputing frequency, Polarisation and symbol rate. Dont know if it will work but its worth a try.

If it's unencrypted and FTA then how come Sky boxes can't pick it up?

Because they do some technical jiggery-pokery to the transport stream, which ensures that only Freesat boxes can receive it. Not very sporting I know, but there you go. Why would they want another potential 500,000 Sky HD subscribers anyway? I mean, they're only a commercial business relying on their advertisers for income...:rolleyes:

Steve

From what I have read.

The normal codec that is used for HD satellite is H.264

The freesat HD codec is H.222

or something like that so the answer is defiantly NO for the new HD freesat channels on a sky box

Kev

Maybe if we can find out the exact frequency its being broadcasted on we can hack into it. If you press SERVICES on your sky remote then 4 SYSTEM SETUP and then 4 again ADD CHANNELS. You can manully add channels inputing frequency, Polarisation and symbol rate. Dont know if it will work but its worth a try.
It won't work (on a Sky STB - or even on, more flexible, standard FTA ones!).

The Sky-HD STB will scan the transponder with ITV-HD on it just fine - it even finds a few other channels on this transponder. The problem is that the ITVHD channel is "hidden" using very obscure settings.

Could someone who is receiving the Freesat ITVHD channel check to see if they are showing the Monaco Grand Prix on the 25th May in HD please. (On the EPG ?)
Many thanks.

Is this just the normal ITV channel, and they do something like give you the option to press the red button to get it in HD?

Or do you have to be out of Freesat mode and search through all the other channels?

Could someone who is receiving the Freesat ITVHD channel check to see if they are showing the Monaco Grand Prix on the 25th May in HD please. (On the EPG ?)
Many thanks.
ITVHD is not in the EPG to check - and the EPG is for 7-days only!

now it's a message saying this service is not currently available as per typical interactive streams.

edit
We have an "ITV sport Up res Test" for the uefa cup final I hope they remove that graphic.

It won't work (on a Sky STB - or even on, more flexible, standard FTA ones!).

Actually, not quite true. It is possible to receive ITV HD on a number of HD satellite receivers - including Technomate 6800, and I believe, Fortec, MaxDigital, Clarke and Humax. Presumably the work-around would be apt for the TM 6900 as well.
It's done by adding a channell with specific Audio and video PIDs a new service ID. The "hack" isn't too complicated and all of the required information is freely available.

What does the upscaled picture look like compared to the normal sd ones ?

What does the upscaled picture look like compared to the normal sd ones ?
On last night's football, absolutely superb! No matter how close to the screen you get, there are no visible artifacts whatsoever. The SD version really looks crap by comparison - loads of artifacts around each player, and the grass looks like a sheet of polythene - all low level detail gone. On the HD channel you can see the texture of the grass and any imperfections and damage. It just shows you how good SD could be, given a decent bit rate. The question is, will they run the HD channel all the time, or just for HD programmes?

Actually, not quite true. It is possible to receive ITV HD on a number of HD satellite receivers - including Technomate 6800, and I believe, Fortec, MaxDigital, Clarke and Humax. Presumably the work-around would be apt for the TM 6900 as well.
It's done by adding a channell with specific Audio and video PIDs a new service ID. The "hack" isn't too complicated and all of the required information is freely available.

Hi, sorry if this sounds bad... but if 'all the required information is freely available' would it have been too much trouble for you to post that info here? or at least a link to where it can be found??

What's the big deal about keeping this info a secret???:(

From what I have read.

The normal codec that is used for HD satellite is H.264

The freesat HD codec is H.222

or something like that so the answer is defiantly NO for the new HD freesat channels on a sky box

Kev

ITV HD is H.264 like all the other HD channels. The H.222 you refer to is the transport stream standard. I don't see why Sky HD boxes couldn't be modded to pick it up. All that would be missing is epg info.

I can view ITV HD on my PC no problem

Whitey

On last night's football, absolutely superb! No matter how close to the screen you get, there are no visible artifacts whatsoever. The SD version really looks crap by comparison - loads of artifacts around each player, and the grass looks like a sheet of polythene - all low level detail gone. On the HD channel you can see the texture of the grass and any imperfections and damage. It just shows you how good SD could be, given a decent bit rate. The question is, will they run the HD channel all the time, or just for HD programmes?

Does that mean it was shown in HD on Freesat last night? I was trying the red button, but got nothing. The picture quality on SD was terrible.

Hi, sorry if this sounds bad... but if 'all the required information is freely available' would it have been too much trouble for you to post that info here? or at least a link to where it can be found??

What's the big deal about keeping this info a secret???:(
All the info you require is given at:

http://en.kingofsat.net/hdtv.php

and look under Eurobird 2 28.5E

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom