ITV HD Improvement???

wednesday83

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if ITV HD (Granada Region) on Sky has had a transponder / encoder / bit rate change? Ove the last 2 or 3 days the quality seems much improved.

Watching the football tonight and the picture looks great. The pitch is usually a horrid mess especially at the bottom of the screen but tonights its lovely and crisp.

More likely to be further up the chain, encoder improvement etc.

Anyone know if ITV HD (Granada Region) on Sky has had a transponder / encoder / bit rate change? Ove the last 2 or 3 days the quality seems much improved.

Watching the football tonight and the picture looks great. The pitch is usually a horrid mess especially at the bottom of the screen but tonights its lovely and crisp.

Why on Sky ?. Whatever box you use to view (Sky,Freesat, Generic FTA, HTPC tuner card), it's the same transmission. Sky merely provide epg services just like Freesat do.

Think you'll find I am right. Freeview HD has different encoders / set up to Sky.

What has terrestrial TV got to do with Sky ?

ITV 1 HD Granada is a single transmission on Astra 2F 11097 V, it carries both Freesat and Sky epg data. Sky merely provide epg entries for ITV. You can tune this on any generic DVB-S2 HD free to air satellite box.

Search Results for - KingOfSat

Look at column 4 it says Freesat/Sky Digital

Why would ITV rent extra transponders from SES Astra to provide a different service for Sky customers ? They just pay Sky to be on the epg same as the BBC or any other free to air broadcaster. They also pay Freesat for inclusion in the Freesat epgs (Original and Freetime)

Think you'll find I am right. Freeview HD has different encoders / set up to Sky.

Posted in error

Last edited by a moderator:
Freeview and freesat are different things. Freeview aerial, freesat dish. So stop arguing

You said general FTA was the same.... it's not. Freeview HD is a totally different set up. That's all I was pointing out. Hence different quality of picture.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom