ITV - getting very tacky (esp news).

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Don't know if this in the correct forum, but I have noticed recently how awful ITV's programming is getting.

Really started to notice it with the WC. For years I have hated all the personnel on ITVs football programmes. The WC set new standards is rubbish.

But just sitting watching their news programmes it dawned on me how tacky they are. People walking around all over the place (Sky guilty here too) and flashy graphics everywhere that the presenters turn and point at like they are actually there!! Even they presenting style has dumbed down as well.

The BBCs news standards are lower than they used to be but they have a long way to go to get as bad as ITV. I find Newsnight or C4 news the best by far - still news for adults!!

ITV reminds me of John Craven's Newsround now.

And although this is primarily about news, their light entertainment programmes are getting hard to watch as well. They have poor quality programmes and employ most of the crap presenters out there. I mean I remember years ago watching 'The Price is Right' with Brucie - it was entertaining. But the one now with that irritating Pasquale git - how could anybody watch any more than 30secs of him without throwing something at their screen?

Perhaps its just a dumbing down of TV in general, or perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man.

krish

Distinguished Member
agree with everything, apart from The Price Is Right :)

ITVs always been crap, its quiz shows have always been crap, The Price Is Right has always been crap (whether presented by Pasquale, Brucie, or the late Leslie Crowther)

I do hate the way BBC news is dumbing down, especially with their crap Breakfast presenters Dermot (poached from ITV... why???!!! :rolleyes:), Sian et al, gimmicky outside broadcasts, and turning their Met Office weather forecasters into cringeworthy broadcasters

Like you I see no difference now between John Craven's newsround of the 70s and 80s, and ITV news --- the former being more informative and in depth!

Abbeygoo

Distinguished Member
It's a very good point SOK.

My Sky+ planner is always full of stuff to watch but none of it comes from ITV. No particular reason, just nothing on there to grab the imagination is there? And when they do show a decent film, you know the PQ will be crap and there'll be about a million adverts and a break for the news.... :mad:

Pleasence

Novice Member
I only watch ITV news if I want a laugh at how they turn current events into entertainment, The Day Today (Chris Morris' spoof from 1990s) seems to be more true now than it ever was.
Only reason I watch ITV these days is for Harry Hill and occasionally David Letterman.

themoid

i honestly can't remember the last time i watched anything on ITV, just a total waste of time

Garrett

ITV been going down hill a long time, if I had to put a date on it it would be the time Maggie was selling the franchise. and so the stations did not have enough money to make or by decent programs.
Also allowing all these mergers or reagons have not been good

When was the last time the made an action series as popular as The Profesionals. I cannot remember when ITV splashed out on a series like they did the short season of Frederick Forsyth's back in 1990.
All they seem to think the public want is dreary plodding police stories like Inspector Morse and A Touch of Frost then repeat them insistently.

As to the news why do sometimes have they to be at the desk the other times stood, it's the news for goodness sake.

No wonder a lot of people are watching ITV4, its because that is the sort of programs they made that people wanted to and still want to watch.

Garrett

SOK said:
But just sitting watching their news programmes it dawned on me how tacky they are. People walking around all over the place .
If I was Katy Durham I would not want to walk about, she has some nice outfits but goodness knows why she wears those Andy Pandy pants.:confused:

RPD_UK

Novice Member
ITV does seem to have a certain 'target audience' - and lets just say its not exactly ABC1's !!

The last thing, in fact the only thing i have watched recently on ITV was Supernatural.

Guilty Sin Alert : I do have a soft spot for the lovely Debbie King on Quizmania - despite loathing the format and the fact that they cynically 'fleece' alot of gullible people by coercing them into calling a premium rate phone number.

But who else wears tiny black shorts and a corset on TV these days ?? :devil:

(I know - i'm easily swayed) lol

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Garrett said:
ITV been going down hill a long time, if I had to put a date on it it would be the time Maggie was selling the franchise. and so the stations did not have enough money to make or by decent programs.
Also allowing all these mergers or reagons have not been goodQUOTE]

agreed. there was a similar post not so long ago, but (IMHO) ITV are a disgrace to television. reality / reality / reality. in fact in this day and age what they put out is scandalous. in my 34 years on this planet, I have never watched tv in general so little. BBC at least have the grace to have a few programs worth watching.
ITV - weddings / homes / holidays / clubs from hell. it is criminal.
thank the lord for DVD and America for at least giving me some shows worth watching on dvd (Alias / 24 / Boston etc).
A major revamp is necessary (again IMHO) for british television.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
SOK said:
Perhaps its just a dumbing down of TV in general, or perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man.

It's a dumbing down of society in general. :lesson:

And yes, I'm also a GOM as well as a TG! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom