1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV Digital with communal aerial

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sraper, Jan 29, 2002.

1. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi,

This is actually a question for my other halfs sister. She was persuaded by her son to go and buy/get an ITVDigital box, so that the son can watch football!!! So she know has one, has signed all the contracts etc. However she lives in a council owned property which has a communal aerial somewhere. After reading through all the instructions she has tried to set it up. However no picture :( She rang the helpline and they basically dont seem that interested because it is shared aerial. They gave her a phone number of an aerial installer. He quoted a £40 call out charge just to give an estimate of how much it would cost for her own aerial!!!!

As no one else nearby has a rooftop aerial I am guessing she would run into problems anyway if she had one fitted.

I am correct in assuming that the problem lies in the distribution amplifier being narrowband and it should be replaced by a wideband one.

Or would the better option be to return the whole thing, cancel the contract (within the 14 days allowed) and get sky installed.

2. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem when living in a block of flats. The problem may be caused (as mine was) by the communial aerial pointing at the town's relay transmitter and not the main one for the area. THe relay did not transmitt digital.

The solution depends on how much access you have to the loft/roof area. In my case the main aerial was in the loft which I was able to gain access to. It was merely a case of finding all the downleads and tracing which was mine (trial and error, sorry neighbours). I then disconnected it from their system and fitted my own aerial (£20 odd) to one of the loft joists. A quick bit of mucking about with my bruv at the telly end on mobile phones got it lined up and we were away. I must point out that loft aerials make viewing digital very dificult unless you have a very strong signal.

I would also point out that I have today ordered Sky and cancelled ITVD as I feel it's going downhill fast in terms of value for money. Also with Sky, you own the equipment at the end of your 12 month contract so you can use it for FTA viewing. With ITVD you never do. Big mistake on their part I think.

S

3. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hmm Hadn't thought about the relay issue. Living in London I would hope that all relays have been "enabled"!!!

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Tricky

Tricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i first got ITV/D i couldent watch it(I live in a flat with a shared aerial)I had one of those bosters the cheap one from argos pluged it in and had a top picture.May not work for you but its the cheapest and easiest soloution.