ITV Digital Vs SKY Digital!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Lex, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I am a complete TV junkie and thus have both ITV & Sky digital. I am completely satisfied with Sky, however I have to say that the ITV system is absolutely terrible to use - it is incredibly slow and unresponsive, it seems to take an eternity to change channel, the TV guide is lousy and unbelievably slow, the interactive features hardly work.... I thought maybe a stronger signal would help, but even with a new aerial setup now and a very strong signal it is still horrible!!!

It seems to me incredible that ITV expect people to choose their system over Skys when it is just soooo bad!:mad:

Everyone I have spoken to about it hates ITV Dig! What are other peoples experiences of it?

They can't all be bad?!?

Lex!

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Huh? :confused:

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

British Eurosport on SKY D isn't part of the sports package, I think it is included in the Entertainment/Family package.
    At least I can still recieve after cancelling my sky sports subscription.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Indeed British Eurosport is available on Sky without a Sky Sports subscription - you also get the 24hr Eurosport News channel thrown in as well!
    Far superior to ITV!!;)

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I simply meant that with ITV all you get is Eurosport, whereas with Sky you get Eurosport and Eurosportnews for the same money. It is the same with FilmFour for instance - for £6 on ITV/Cable you just get the FilmFour Channel, whereas on Sky you get FilmFour, FilmFour plus, FilmFourExtreme and FilmFourWorld all for the same money.

Generally I would argue that Sky is far superior to ITV in every way anyway (but I just like Sky in case you haven't noticed!). A further example would be the whole interactive thing - with ITV all you get is glorified teletext, but with Sky you actually get extra channels when you press the red button - eg the BBCs Olympics coverage at the moment.

Have you ever seen Sky Digital Confucius, if not I think you are going to be in for a pleasent surprise if you are only used to ITV. I hope you enjoy...

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Is the $ky picture quality better than ITV digital's???

Mark

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    BBC is better on DVB-T than DVB-S

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was very impressed with the Olympic coverage, and having some choice as to what you watch. I did the same when Sky Sports showed the Superbowl, and was able to watch the entire game with the American broadcast team. It's definitely a nice feature.

9. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    "I'm only getting it (tomrrow afternoon as it happens) for F1TV. As for British Eurosport I only need that for Le Mans & other GT races. I have no interest in any other sports carried by sat (or any other sports at all for that matter)"

I have sky digital installed in Dublin - just wondering what the F1TV your referring to. Is it a new channel?. If so is it subscription based or is it included as part of the full package sky do i.e. movies + sports etc.

Thanks,
    Mick

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    The F1 PPV coverage is provided by Bernie Ecclestones own production company. They have come to an agreement with SKY D for carriage and I suppose billing and administration also.

No prices as of yet but expect it to be a single payment for each three day race and/or a season ticket type payment.
    The service has been available to European Digital subscribers for a few years now, for the F1 fanatic it is supposed to be excellent.

11. bcottis

bcottis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like the price is going to be £12 per race weekend. Seems quite alot seeing as the race is free on ITV.

12. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    does seem like a lot to have to pay 12 quid for a race - might do it once to see what it's like but itv will do just fine!. Does anyone know when itv will be officially put on sky's epg?

Thanks for the info,
    Mick

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The service is aimed at the F1 fan who misses Friday,Saturday and Sunday practise/warmup sessions and isn't satisfied with qualifying and the limited race feed ITV1 has.
    I'm looking forward to choosing camera angels, car cams, pit radio coverage and all the other interactive bits the Europeans enjoy:)

For the casual F1 viewer any extra expense would be laughed at but at least with this PPV the general public still has access to the "free" coverage as before.