1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV Digital ends at midnight tonight (30th April)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Matt, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thanks to Rupert for pulling the plug, although I don't blame him as any businessman that provides his services for nothing will end up in trouble himself.

Far from raising Sky fees now that the competition is out of the way, Rupert may even provide some attractive inducements to snap up as many ITV Digital customers as possible before a new competitor emerges.

One has to feel sorry for those thousands of ITV Digital customers that have been receiving programmes for nothing as they have bought iffy cards in the pub because they will now have to pay up or be denied the wonders of the many cookery and shopping channels that are available. :p

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I ordered a 2nd Sky Digital box which for £12 a month will allow me to watch ALL the channels ( which is pretty much all of em ) that my Dad subscribes to.
    Its being installed this Sunday and the viewing card arrived this morning.

A friend of mine called not too long ago to do the same and was told there is now a 14 to 20 day waiting list.

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    ordered mine this morning, coming next Thursday :) £1 installed if you mention you saw it on the net for £1, then have Sky world for one month and then reduce it to the family package, the guy on the phone comfirmed you can do this :D

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Mine will be running off my Dads subscription ( which is the fullpackage including the movie channels and sport ) so I get to watch all them for less than what I paid for far less on ITVDigital.

Should have done this ages ago, just need to remember to get me Dad to record Buffy for me !

7. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:

We now have no sports channels.

8. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The best TV channels will still be available on terrestrial digiboxes anyway.

BBC 2
    BBC 1
    CH 4

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    7am tomorrow morning to be exact! ;)

10. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sky, but i don't subscribe. I use it as an aerial, as i can't get a reception where i live. Sky is $hit; as was ITV digital, as both offer even more dross to choose from. My brother had ('cough' cough') ITV digital, and well he wont switch to sky, as he can't understand why anybody would spend £32 a month on what is on the hole, complete garbage. Like many who used the the iffy cards it was only £5 a month, that's for the box office stuff, and the adult stuff. No wonder they went under, i never knew anybody who paid for it. :rolleyes:

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Seany Boy,

You said: "My brother had ('cough' cough') ITV digital, and well he wont switch to sky, as he can't understand why anybody would spend £32 a month on what is on the hole, complete garbage."

Well, if that's the case, then your brother isn't particularly clever is he!

You'd only need to pay £32 if you want the whole Sky channel selection, including movies and sports channels. However, you can pay less than that, if you don't want them.

I only pay £22 a month (or is it £24?) for the channels I want. The PPV stuff isn't worth it, and I have no interest in the Sky movie or sports stations.

Maybe your brother should try genning-up on his TV knowledge before making a blatantly false statement!

Oh, and Sky isn't bad, considering the cost of cable TV, for which you pay a similar price but for a lot less channels, and with lesser picture quality! PLus, you have to live in a cable-enabled area, which outside of most major cities, means a lot of the British population can't even try it out. That left them with Sky or ITVDigital. Now that ITVDigital has - to all intents and purposes - died, that doesn't leave people much choice if they want digital TV.

Pooch

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I saw on the news that the government still wants to switch off terrestrial TV by 2010. I was round at my parents tonight and they had ITV Digital on watching ITV and even though the transmitter is very near and it was not raining the picture was blocking and freezing, they had to switch back to analogue to get a good picture. Shame we won’t have the choice in 2010.

13. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    ?

Like I said, the best channels are still available - it's only the subscription channels that are no longer available to terrestrial digital viewers.

A bit like saying the Sun, Mirror & Star are all going bust and all that's left are the Times, Telegraph & Independent - not exactly the end of the world.

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's a rather arrogant sentiment if you don't mind me saying so! :p
    Just because you do not think these channels worth watching doesn't mean you should deny other people their enjoyment. Like it or not The Times, Telegraph, Independent are not to everyone's taste.
    Surely people should be allowed the choice!

15. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    What ever you think of ITV Digital at least it was competition, which is good for the consumers.

16. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh poochy, Poochy Poochy:rolleyes: He (And i) was talking about the people who pay for the full subscription -around £32 i think, he had a full package for a £5er, and that's all it's worth ,that goes for sky to. I had the £16 package (not for long) and that's even worse!!!!:rolleyes: Boy! you must love your sky, what's on uk gold:rolleyes:

Never heard anybody defend Tv so much:rolleyes:

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Im with Pooch on this.

My Dad has had the full Sky package for as long as he had Sky ( bloomin years ) and to be honest if you actually watch the stuff rather than moan about the prices its not that bad a deal.

The extra subscription for those season ticket football games I also thought was very much a bargain.

Yes we can argue that all this stuff should be free or very cheap, but its not !

Think we have to remember that some people do not have the vast HC set-ups of some of the members on here, and horror of horrors there are even people out there that dont have DVD and the only time they see a film is on Sky.

Anyway, im lucky, I get all my old man does for £12 a month :)

18. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY point is £32 month for what you get with sky or any of the others is rubbish! and still the main4 (5 not included) channels still make the best programs and docs. The films come out ages after they do for rental (and are around forever) and don't say most people have not got a video at least,and if you can afford £32, £20 etc etc (though that was not my point), you can afford a DVD player. Anyway what i was saying was that everybody i know never went for sky, as for a £5er you got more or less the same package as sky's+ the box office stuff, and adult stuff. So this is what would often happen... (don't say you've never done it) Endless flicking through the channels, and nothings on that you have not seen MANY times before, or have no interest in.

So what people who i know would say is..." I don't mind paying a £5er for it, but god knows how they get anymore for it" And i agree with that, i've had sky. Yes you can get some good films on 3 times a day, some good sport. But the rest is like on big Channel 5 bundle:rolleyes: police chase9, the villa uncut:rolleyes: Changing rooms-weekend!!! and so on, and so on.

So it has know gone bust.And will they shift to sky? No! because most of the country, whether they have had bent cards,or not, don't think it's worth it, and it is not,the figures prove it.

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    By the way, when is the Changing Rooms weekend on?

20. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The point is, many people want digital TV for various reasons, but not necessarily for subscription channels.

Some people seem determined to use the equation 'digital tv = subscription tv'.

Nothing could be further from the truth as we all know.

The only reason I originally went for OnDigital was that it had 16:9 anamorphic programming. I had to subscribe because that was the only way of getting a digital tuner, and indeed the cheapest at £6.99 pcm - short of buying a brand new television - and there weren't any 50" w/s tvs with digital tuners back then :rolleyes:

Seany Boy is quite right, there really is a whole load of crap on - several hundred channels in fact. I make exceptions only for:

'Great Drivers' (Life, ch202)

'The Professionals', 'The Sweeney', 'Sherlock Holmes' (G+)

'Dr Who', 'The Good Life' 'Dad's Army' et-al (UK Gold)

'The Simpsons', 'The X-Files' (Sky 1)

All of the above bar Great Drivers will no doubt be out on DVD soon (even that, in fact), thus obviating the need, eventually, for lcd TV (lowest common denominator)- $ky.

And where did the bulk of those I list originate?

why, BBC & ITV of course!

21. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No lex, U want the changing sex weekend:rolleyes: