1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV Digital Channels to be shut down tonight - What happens to prepaid customers?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by beavis, Apr 30, 2002.

1. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All

Just heard on the radio that all pay channels e.g. not free to air are set to go off tonight!

This question might have been asked before, but where does that leave someone who bought the prepaid box for Christmas and still has 6 months to run? Any chance to get money back?

Cheers

B

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Little or no chance. If the company is liquidated you would form part of the unsecured creditors queue. They come next-to-last on the list, just above shareholders and rarely get anything.

If you (and I) are lucky, we may get to keep our STBs for a knock-down price.

The situation differs for people who subscribed after the date it was placed into administration; for these people, their subscriptions are held in a protected fund.

3. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am absolutley fuming, the only reason I subscribed to ITV digital is because of the Division One football, of all the days to stop their service, I'm a Norwich fan, how can I watch the Norwich match tomorrow now, I couldn't get tickets for Wolves. I've also still got 6 months left on my pre-paid STB. :(

4. clayts450

clayts450

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Some advice here :(

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

ITV Sport ahould be on air for another two weeks according to the news I've read along with the CH4 related channels.

6. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My digi box was collected on Monday. I rang this morning to find out if I would get a refund on this month's subscription. After much searching for the correct piece of paper the lady told me I would have a cheque posted within 28 days.

Then of course later in the afternoon the announcement came so I probably won't get a penny (or the consolation of a 'free' box). Still the person I was talking to had worse news to come.

7. Shirker

Shirker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phew at least the ITV sport channel is still on, doesn't look like there's any hope of pre-paid customers getting their money back though.

So what choices are there now Sky or Sky :(

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    I take it all those who pre-paid, and not getting a refund will be keeping the digi box.

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, thats exactly what I was thinking! ITV owe me nearly £50! They'll get their digibox over my dead body! :mad: :D

11. Baggy69

Baggy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im a prepay customer with a nokia mediamaster box, so what can i do now with this box? Can i just put a different smart card and put that in for more channels? If yes whats availiable and how do i get it?

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ITV digital took this months direct debit out today- unless im mistaken this is payment for the coming month in which case im going to go beserk!

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No offence mate, but I can't believe you didn't cancel it! :eek:
    They really are naughty to have taken it though. You should have some come back through your bank - I'd get onto them tomorrow if I was you!

14. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Any payments made after they went into administration are safe, so if they've just taken money via the DD you don't have to worry too much, but do contact them to get it refunded.

*Do* cancel it though just to be safe.

As to those with money owed for pre-payments holding on to the digi-box, I'm afraid it doesn't work like that when a company fails.

There is no right to hold-on to their property just because they owe you money, you are an unsecured creditor and you have no right to retain their property to off-set the amount they owe you.

All that said however, it is unlikely that anyone is going to make a serious attempt to reclaim the boxes because of the costs involved, and the consideration that a good part of the value of the business is in the fact that these boxes are already in place in consumers homes. The equipment is worth more in the hands of a potentially paying customer than it would be sitting in a warehouse as second hand goods of limited resale value. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Mark

15. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Tracy , ITV 1 are going to show the Div 1 playoff final !

16. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually the league playoffs are all being shown on the ITV Sport Channel which is now free (Channel 20) ;)

17. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The boxes are useless for pay TV, although I wouldn't mind keeping mine just for the FTA stuff as it might come in handy.

No one will want to broadcast pay TV using the same system as ITV Digital because the encryption has been broken for so long, and there is no real way to fix it. So long as the boxes have SECA CAMs in them they are useless.

So if anyone did take over the infrastructure they would still have to modify the existing boxes to have a viable service.

As far as I'm concerned, and a lot of other people I'm sure, they are in breach of contract. They ain't getting this box back from me, and I can't see them trying to be honest, it would cost more to reclaim the boxes than they are worth.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they ask for my box back, I'm going to put myself into liquidation and if I ever catch that monkey, it will be second bloody simian in space!:p

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, that monkey deserves a good spanking! :mad: :D