ITV Digital Amps.......

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Cool-hand, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Does anyone know whether using a standard RF amplifier to boost the signal would help improve the channels received.
    I.e. I can't get ITV1, and the misfits at ITV Digital help desk have suggested I buy an Amp and this "may" get me the missing channels!

Anyone been down this road?

Picture quality also doesn't seem much better that analogue.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It depends on whether your getting a 'weak, good quality signal' or a 'weak, poor quality signal'.

An amplifier will just make a 'weak, poor quality signal' worse. If the signal is good, but just weak, than an amplifier might be the answer.

Try one. Best to buy from somewhere that offers a refund within so many days, if it doesn't suit.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In most cases an amp will help significantly with signal problems. I would recommend a mast head amp that is attached to the mast near the aerial. An amp will amplify anything and that includes line noise created by your cable so one sited near your tv will be boosting all the 'noise' that the signal has picked up travelling down your cable. I have 2 amps and suffer no problems with overboosting.

Other tips include keeping connections to a minimum and using high quality connectors. Also consider swapping your downlead for 'sattelite' quality cable, say FT100 from Maplin. It's double shielded so will pick up less interference from cars and household devices.

S