1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV digital 7 feet wide here we come!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Dec 12, 2001.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been out and bought a Pinnacle tv card and a Scart to Composite video cable so I should be up and running with Dscaler sometime tonight!

What sort of results would I get with a bog standard VCR? It'd be nice to get Star Wars up on the screen, but VHS is quite poor at the best of times!

Nick

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    I use DScaler. It improves the image, but VHS still has the same probs of grain etc.

TV looks good though. :O)

Gary.

3. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nick, don't expect great things. I've got a similar screen size and wasn't blown away by the results. I even bought the trilogy on VCD still not really watchable. Basically garbage in = garbage out. I only bought a projector once DVD arrived. I take my hat off to the early adopter's. LD is probably your best option.

Ian

4. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll get a good image overall on Broadcast and Digital material but sadly VCD and VHS are not going to be that great. They are watchable however.

Laserdisc, Consoles and S-VHS machines are much better.

You've also bought a card prone to video noise so that will also degrade your picture.

Don't set your expectations too high otherwise you'll be upset.

Regards Neil.

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it all set up yersterday and was pleasantly suprised. My expectations wern't too high after seeing the atrocious job the Radeon A-I-W did with composite and even S-video was a bit ropey.

Composite through Dscaler is a revelation, I was very impressed by broadcast material, and I'm sure I can improve it if I actually take a proper cable from the digibox rather that use the Video Sender.

VHS wasn't too bad, the main problem was the softness and lack of focus, but then I suppose scaling from the 250 or whatever video lines to 720 pixels is going to soften the image quite a bit.
    I may experiment with a lower resolution for VHS and see if it will improve.

The picture is definately watchable and I'm sure I can get it better with colour and contrast adjustments as well as diferent resolutions.

I also tried DVD through s-video and composite, fro my old Sony 715S but I prefer software decoding.

The only other thing I noticed was that Sky Sports footie looked a bit odd, the motion was very hom video like? What si the best setting for De-interlacing, i think it was set to AUTO Detect and Video (greedy, High Motion).

Thanks

Nick

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nick

Glad you like your new set-up. Neil is right that we shouldn't expect wonders with a low end video card but a clean broadcast source for sports reminds me that perhaps anologue wasn't so bad after all.

On the funny behaviour when watching football, what refresh rate are you running? 50 or 100 is really required for convincsing motion with 75 a distant second best.

Your set-up sounds fine, jsut make sure you haven't got GreedyH's film detection switched on as well.

Also sometimes MPEG does very funny things to the motion at the pitiful rates used by either sky or ITVdigital. Could you describe what you mean by home movie like a bit more?

John

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John,

I think Sky/ITV digital are to blame. It looks a bit flickery and the legs when running looked like I was sometimes watching strobing like you used to get on TV with things like wagon wheels etc.

It was perfectly watchable, I see what you meant about the grass now it is blown up! I do notice the grass is very odd even on my normal TV.

I have the film detect on I think (pulldown?) and the Greedy Video. I'm also running at 75hz refresh rate as this is my PAL dvd rate, would it improve if I lower the resolution slightly, but increas the rate to 100HZ, still trying not to stress the projector too much, although the Graphics 808 should be able to cope up to 120hz.

I only had about 30 mins to play last night so I doubt I have everything set up well. What I saw was well impressive though, even the VHS was good enough to consider watching a whole film!

What does pixel width affect? it defults to 720 at the mo!

Cheers

Nick

8. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't know exactly what would look better on your 808 but I would suggest that running 1024x576 @100 would be worth a try for sport. You may see scanlines at this res though. Worth getting another 808 owner to say what they do for sport.Maybe running something @ 50 Hz might also be worth a try the 48Hz camp seems to be gaining ground.

The pixel width effects the way the video is sampled from the incoming signal before it is scaled. Reducing it will lose detail but should help with the noise. For VCR there are only 480 pixels worth of information (240 lines X2) so lowering the pixel width shouldn't reduce the amount of detail but should help with the noise a bit. See the other thread for more tips.

John

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John, I'll try a few things , possibley not tonight, Christmas pub crawl so by the time I get in I will think everything looks blurred!

I may start a thread on the projector forum about sports refresh rates on an 808.

Cheers

Nick