1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV cuts goldeneye

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bob007, Oct 23, 2001.

1. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before i start i hope my views do not upset anyone, but i feel i must voice my opinion. On watching goldeneye i noticed they had cut out the whole sequence of the girl escaping from the destroyed satellite building, i presume this was because of the events of sept 11th, i might be wrong, but i couldn`t think of any other reason. I watched the events unfold that day and followed it for two weeks and many a time had tears in my eyes. My thoughts have allways been with the victims and their families. But i can`t help feeling that we have to move on with our lives. Now we have to show these people they can`t affect the way we live, people have a fear of flying, opening the post, and our fims are bieng affected. I DON`T say put DIE HARD 2 and TOWERING INFERNO on, what i`m trying to say is we have to get back to normality, broadcasters as well. It dosen`t mean we do not care, these people must never dictate to us what we can and can not do. Maybe it is a bit to early to broadcast films uncut, like the film tonight goldeneye, but i noticed a film on sky the other night about bio weapons in afghanistan, i did not watch it, but is the company being insensitive or trying to move on, i don`t know . They are not winning the military battle but i think they are ahead on inflicting fear and paranoia in people.We must move on in a firm but thoughtful way so they can`t win. What are your views?

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: bob007 ]

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,662
    My view is that this thread should be in the Movies and TV forum.

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To some degree - what did you expect.

When has ITV ever shown any concern for the integrity of a film...

That said on the wider issue its distressing how meek and pathetic the media are when faced with an incident like the terrorist attack in the US.

My first thoughts were - some channel somewhere will be showing either Die Hard or Fawlty Towers, and will probably wimp out and not show them.

If you decide "as a mark of respect" to censor your output then where do you stop - its like in the Gulf War when Radio 1 stopped playing certain songs.

It all comes down to being seen to be doing "the right thing" and "showing respect" without really thinking the issues through. Whom are they respecting? I'd like to know.

Its the regimented thinking I hate - like when Diana died, the media reported how the whole nation was mourning - no we werent. Some people were acting as if their whole immediate family had been wiped out, whereas some couldnt quite believe what was going on.

Its like this now - a grotesque over-reaction to events.

If my family had been wiped out - the last thing I'd do is watch a film on ITV and I'm not so much of an emotional cripple that I need to have someone say "dont have nightmares" or make editorial decisions on my behalf.

We're being treated like imbeciles and I for one am sick of it.

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The events of Sept 11th were horrific and inhuman.

But this 'sensitive imagery' crap is ridiculous. If the towers actually feature in any of the supposed 'sensitive' material being shown or released then it's understandable that things might be delayed, or changed. But it's overkill to get rid of anything with explosions and terrorists and stuff like that. It just denies that the events even occured, that such things are possible in this world. We can't pretend that the Towers never existed and cut their image, or anything that might simply resemble their fate, from every film or TV show. When they pull the third Danger Mouse DVD because it's called 'The Towers of Terror' I think things have gones too far.

Where does it stop? I mean, no one has any complaints about scenes from Titanic or Pearl Harbor, even though they were real events and survivors and relatives are still around now. In 50 years time will there be a big budget movie entitled 'The Towers', which people will flock to the cinema to see?

5. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you wont have to wait 50 years - what about the sight of celebs being shown around the wreckage of the WTC... only in America! Still wear a ribbon in your lapel and you'll demonstrate "hey I care!" and all will be forgiven.

We desperately need Chris Morris to produce a Brass Eye special on the war on terrorism.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Aye... could well become a very valuable tourist spot... just wait, people will be selling rubble over Ebay soon enough, if they already aren't.

Brass Eye special... that would be great.

7. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought the bit where xenia stitches natalya was meant to be cut for british audiences, but was evident then.

maybe it was another bit that was cut, i did have a reason for not buying the r2 because of a cut and i'm sure it was that one, maybe summit else.

i'm prety sure folk were selling bits o rubble on ebay in the immediate aftermath, but ebay took off those sales

likewise i can see no reason to pull anything that mentions the twin towers or shows them. although i think they wer damn proud of them, i appropriately watched daylight a few days afterwardsand there were big long panoramic shots of the manhattan skyline with the towers in the middle at the end.