1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itv channels on sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by reevesy, Aug 19, 2005.

1. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    for a while now all itv channels on my sky digi box are shot to bits and unwatchable.
    anyone else suffering or is just me?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Not me.

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Have you phoned sky to complain or ask what can be done? :)

4. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    not as yet...i'd rather listen to peoples advice on here,i imagine skys tech support to be a bit underpants (only a rather one sided guess!)
    all other channels seem to be fine except 'the amp' and 'tiny pops' or whatever the're called which have never produced a watchable picture.

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Does sound like you could do with a service call out. If its still under wararnty then as long as a problem presents it self , it should not cost you any money to put right :).

6. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    unfortunately i was one of the mugs who paid £199 in the early days before they started giving em away (really enjoyed the 'i told you so' off the missus for that one)so it's about 6 or 7 years old and out of warranty.
    just a bit strange that only itv channels are effected.

7. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Well, I am just guessing but it could be something as simple a the dish being slightly out of postion. Have you tried rebooting the box, you know turn off for 5 mins at the mains and then restart?

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Not being able to pick up The Amp would put to a dish alignment issue and I suspect all the Eurobird channels would also be unwatchable.

If there were problems with 2D which carries the ITV channels then you would also be losing most of the BBC channels as well so perhaps it's an issue with the frequencies used, perhaps a local source of interference (DECT phone) or maybe a ageing length of cable.

Worth adding some other ITV channels to see if the problem is widespread.

9. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The ITV channels do tend to be fairly weak IMO. Chances are either your tuner/LNB is failing, or the dish is out of alignment.

If you didn't buy a subsidised installation in the past, you should be entitled to one now. I would consider cancelling the sub and then rejoining as a new customer. You might have to use the wife's name or whatever, but as your 'household' hasn't received a free box/installation before you are now entitled to one......

Gav

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If you paid £199 back in the early days the STB was still subsidised down to thar price from the reported £360 to £440 retail cost and therefore you have received your one and only subsidised offer.
    As you say though there are ways around it and if you are a subscriber then many people have posted postive results when talking about cancelling due to the repair costs.

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Have you thouht about upgrading to sky +? if you did they would have to reinstall the whole lot and would make sure everything is sorted out as well

12. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    As long as the buyer originally didn't have to sign the contract to hook up to a telephone line for a year, then there was no 'subsidy' in place. I bought a digibox about six years ago for 200 quid - it was completely unsubsidised and came without any sort of Sky contract at all. I signed up to a contract and never connected to a phone line - no problems. Later, a 'free' digibox was also installed in the same address. That was subsidised.

I don't know how it was in the very first days of digital though - it's possible that Sky were selling installations for 200 quid that were technically subsidised.

Gav

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yep:)
    Six years ago would have been around the time or just after SKY started to give away digiboxes and I expect with more than one supplier the retail cost like other consumer products would have fallen dramatically so £200 for a non-subsidised box would have been about right.

Even now if you buy your first digibox which isn't part of a subsidised deal/install from SKY or it's authorised agents and even if you take out a subscription you will not have had the subsidy and hence still qualify which is I expect was the position you were in:)

14. Jules1975

Jules1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The channels problem sounds like one we had. We had water in our LNB, had to have a new one. That can't be that expensive surely? If you think it's the box why not buy a chaep second hand one on ebay to try? You can always sell it again if it's not the problem!

15. reevesy

reevesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,131
    thanks for the replies..some of the suggestions are worth considering.
    i might be moving soon so a cancellation/upgrade to sky plus might be a goer,did buy a used box off ebay a little while ago with the view of using my old box with my projector but the box did'nt work properly and i got me money back.also i reckon if i move a quad lnb might be on the cards for multi room connection.