1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV, Channel 4 and five on satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by PhilipVass, Aug 21, 2003.

?
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Thinking about it..

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So how many of you have upgraded to freeview soo far now that ITV,C4 + Five are no longer avaliable FTA :cool:

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still a bit confused about this situation - I've got a FTV card and haven't lost the channels yet, but will I? I got a letter from the BBC saying I would, but your poll implies that C4, ITV etc should have already gone (although you said FTA).
    Does this mean that as I've had a FTV card for some time I will keep the "free" channels and it's only people without a valid FTV card that will miss out?

Simon

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's still amazing how many people still get confused over FTA and FTV in regards to digital satellite:)
    If you have the original FTV card issued by the BBC or an old ex-SKY subscription smartcard then you should be getting the onscreen warnings about the need to call a number to continue viewing. These cards will be useless when SKY totally switch to the new Videoguard encryption codes.
    If you have one of the new FTV cards issued by the BBC in the last few months or have received a replacement card from SKY and then since cancelled you should continue to receive the FTV (ITV1, CH4 and Five) channels.

There are still much confusion though, SKY might decide not to support the new FTV cards although that would be surprising since they were paid for those via the FTV service and/or supplied them to people who at the time were subscribers.

The BBC channels are all FTA and do not require any smartcard at all but channel allocation on 101 and 102 require a smartcard otherwise you will just get BBC London and BBC England.
    Other regions are avaliable on the EPG though.