1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITV And Channel 4 Have They Lost The Plot

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,158
    ITV rating are that poor the other night even Ch4 bet them in the rating and both channels are churning out programs aimed at the lowest common denominator. Yet how many better programs are they putting on the sister channels. How many times have I seen coming up next on ITV a great program or film then they say on ITV 2.

2. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    "ITV And Channel 4 Have They Lost The Plot"

Of course they have, a long, long time ago.

I haven't watched either channel in ages. Mostly i'll watch channel 5 or living, or bravo. Pretty much anything not terrestrial, theres little of value on terrestrial tv anymore. To be honest, theres little of value on TV in general at the mo' thank god big blubber finishes soon.

And I agree, ITV2 is showing some good stuff, its a shame you have to have a digital setup to take advantage.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Apart from the odd good series from the usa (west wing, 24, alias, nip tuck, sopranos, six feet under, without a trace, CSI , CSI Miami) I'm hardly watching anything else. British productions do not seem to be able to compete with the likes of the progs I've mentioned and all we seem to produce are rubbish reality tv snippets.
    Where are all the well produced programs with good characters, story, plot, dialogue that will cater to those of us with the attention span longer than a gold fish:confused:

4. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I second that, it sounds much better than my previous ranting. :)

5. blaze

blaze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive found myself buying older seasons of different series and watching them instead. I download all the TV series i watch when they are shown in the US, so i hardly ever watch tv shows that are shown over here.

TV used to be very good (some shows still are) however, most of the decent shows have now ended there run (through either being cancelled, or just running through until no more can be done), and now the problem is, nothing is replacing those shows.

Take Buffy for example, finished a while ago, however its one of the most successful shows of its time, and nothing really filled the void it left once it had finished. Angel has now finished (cancelled) and that was getting good viewing in the US, nothing has replaced that. Shows such as Firefly could have replaced that and ran quite a few more seasons, but was cancelled.

Usually when TV shows are shown here, they get put into really awful time slots (Alias on Channel 5 and Angel on Channel 4/5 and Andromada on Channel 4), it killed the shows and it lost alot of viewers, if they would have give it a chance alittle early it may have been more successful.

I find now that older shows are getting mini series or being made into feature length movies, and these are shows that have been cancelled in the US, now coming back because they have no new ideas.

Looking at shows now, it seems to be mostly reality shows and nothing else. There are a few good series still showing; Stargate SG1 - although that is in its last season now, Dead Like Me is a very good show and the few mentioned before. All the well established tv shows are ending and we are getting nothing else...

Most films dont make me watch the TV either, ITV2 gets decent films, however they play them on ITV a month later, so they dont get watched again. Im really not suprised that its losing viewers, and its more than likely they will continue to lose viewers until they make a new plan...

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

ITV and C4 lost the plot many years ago, in my opinion! Ever since they decided that schedules should be filled with material aimed at idiots and people who can't even count to three, and/or ever since they decided that only ratings mattered as to whether or not a show got airtime, then I've abandoned them.

The problem for me, is that too many shows that are genuinely good, get bought by the terrestrial stations, and then are shoved around the schedules at all times of day and night, whilst mediocre material gets primetime. :mad:

Only BBC2 (and occasionally C4) seems to retain quality US shows at reasonable times, e.g. Sunday nights at 10pm on BBC2 ("24", "Kingdom Hospital", et al) or weeknights on C4 ("ER", "Six Feet Under", "The Sopranos" and "Without A Trace").

What we need is to get terrestrial channels to buy these shows, and give them the same kind of treatment, that they give to their own mediocre offerings. If shows like "Third Watch", "The Practice" or "The District" was given as much promotion on and off screen, as say "Eastenders" or "Butt Munch 5", then ratings would probably be very high, and profitable for the TV stations showing them. But no! Instead, they'd rather banish these shows to the middle of the night, or censor them for daytimes, then give them a chance.

With C4, they claim they give shows a chance, but they don't! "Alias" and "Angel" were two major examples! These shows were both aimed at adult audiences, and yet were bought by C4 as shows to be transmitted in the T4/6pm kiddie timeslot, which meant both shows having to be butchered beyond belief to make them suitable for the timeslot. As such, the viewers who should be watching it, won't be, because they know the show is being screwed around with, and we viewers aren't going to be conned into watching edit kiddie crap anymore!

Until C4, ITV and the BBC get their fingers out of their butts, and stop putting US shows in late-night slots, or dropping them after just a few episodes (as the BBC did with the sci-fi drama "Seven Days"), then other channels like Five, Sci-Fi and Sky 1 will get my viewing!

Pooch

7. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too many of those celebrity kitchen this ..and big brother that..............programs that can be stretched out for weeks!!!!!!!! and been a big hater of big brother took a big boost knowing it finished on friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. blaze

blaze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But its more than likely just going to be replaced by crap again. Oh my two episodes of 'How Clean is Your House' back to back :boring: . Saying that though, Channel 4 are showing The Shawshank Redemption tonight, which is good of them :clap:

9. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    er so i guess ive missed that?

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I hardly watch them at all any more. They are just full of junk as far as I'm concerned, soaps, "reality shows", programs like "when sofas fight back" and "when morons do idiotic things" (you may have noticed I made those up, but you get the general idea!). All this Big Brother nonsense as well, it's just for people with nothing to do watching other people doing nothing, I hate the concept and refuse to watch anything like this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a snob (far from it) but ITV and C4 to me are like the Sunday Sport, and have been for some years now.
    When I think of the ratings that some of the shows get it fills me with concern for the future of this country :rolleyes:

11. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    while I agree with much of what has been said here (especially JohnG's comments on reality TV and Big Brother) I have to draw your attention to a couple of recent diamonds that could be found amongst the 5h1t on these channels.

Directors Commentary (didn't see it on TV but recently bought the DVD and love it)
    Black Books

ITV deliver the occasional decent drama (Sharpe/Hornblower/Touch of Frost - but nothing recently) and C4 did have the sublime Frasier but that's about it for me.

The good stuff is getting swamped by the UK's funniest jungle kitchen celebrity swaps from hell.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,158
    I too like them as well (apart from the millionth repeat of Frost :laugh: ) but why do they seem to spread the goodies thin on the main channels after all that’s where they make there bread and butter. But they seem to fil them with endless programs that can be made cheap which I do not or should I say did not mind I have been know to occasionally watch Gardeners World and Watchdog but the channels are awash with them now.
    Also why is American at prime time a dirty word? How many of the forum members prefer what we get in the way on the US shows to our output? Yes we get some and a lot of there’s we do not see is tat but a lot we never get is also good.

Phenomenally LA Law that ran for 7 series on ITV then SKY got series 8 do ITV get the last series to show the loyal fans NO.
    Same happened with Falcon Crest My mum and dad followed it every week Sky bought the entire run and the last series was never picked up again, so my mother and father missed out.

13. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The last Drama I remember really enjoying on ITV was "The Forsythe Saga", I have to say I believe they picked the wrong actress to play Irené, but that's just personal opinion.

I have watched the one that's running currently "Island at War", I know it's far from historically accurate but it is reasonably well acted and filmed, and it's OK.

I also think the ITC did a lot to bring about the demise of ITV and the other commercial channels when they allowed 3 breaks and more ads to be shown in each hour. This was in my opinion a grave error of judgement, it meant programmes were interupted more so they were dumbed down in an effort to keep viewers from switching channels in the breaks.

I personally cannot watch films that are subjected to so many interuptions and even worse when they carry DOGS/LOGOS as well (ITV2). I see no hope for the future of British TV, it's going to the DOGS, at least the Sky channels already have. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I really, really, really hate LOGOS, just how stupid do they think we are.

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,158
    I agree it was so stupid what time does it matter, what time the news was on. ITV did not have it in there contract to put the news out at that time.
    Now we are stuck with the BBC and ITV when the see fit to put News at Ten conflicting. Yet the BBC was not admonished for leaving the 9pm slot without news. Also it means films have a half hour plus break in the middle, this form a channel which should be concentrating on service and quality rather than ratings.

15. TommyTucker

TommyTucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,158
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what are ITV playing at, I usaly have my lunch at 12.30 and like to watch the news (although its not the best there is) and after countless years find its been moved back an hour, and that program for the brain dead (The Prices Right ) has taken its spot.
    On looking at the the TV Guide I also find that they repeats and are showing two programs back to back.

As to the channel for the brain dead, in swiching a sat channel off last night I looked at what was on terrestrial and the night time ring in program was on and people had to ring in with the answer to something like the following question.
    nineteen minus five=
    6 + 8 =
    3 - 2 =

add the results together and what is the total. I watched for about 5 answers and not one person could answer it. I think some one said it was 44 and then someone said the person before give their answer.

17. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I'm sorry to sound elitist (although why I feel the need to apologise, I'm not sure), but ITV/Ch4 are simply aiming their product at the masses, who are content to just collapse in front of the TV and be "entertained".

By definition, AVForum members are not the masses (who haven't even heard of the Forum), so it's hardly surprising that the posts in this thread are universally critical.

Fortunately in this multi-channel age, there is plenty of choice.

It's just that it's no longer on the main channels, so you have to go looking for it.

18. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now, ITV4, which shows some good programmes, is not on next Saturday and Sunday. It just shows "programmes start on Monday".

"Millenium" is meant to be shown on Saturday on this channel, but there is no mention of it, even on Monday. Last Saturday night reception was bad on Sky for ITV4. Although the weather wasn't too good, Sky Sports was fine and most other channels.

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,158
    I think ITV are showing better programs than on there main channel Cynthia. I've been enjoying some late 60's and earlie 70's pograms or is that BBC4:confused: there showing stuff the other use to broadcast.

20. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Garrett,

I agree, ITV1 is now almost the poor relation regarding our choices.

Yes, BBC4 and ITV4 have been showing some good programmes from the past. I've been watching "Maigret" for the last few weeks on ITV3. Compared to the latest French detective series "Spiral" it doesn't shock but has definite Gallic charm, in spite of the actors being mainly British.

It's years since I've seen a repeat of the original "Maigret" starring Rupert ? - I can't remember much about that series, or even his surname!

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,158
    Rupert Davis and I was not a fan of it, although I was a very small child at the time and probably went over my head, but the music was good bit of a classic.

22. Barbara2001

Barbara2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Digiguide is listing programmes for the weekend, example below:-

DRAMA: Millennium
    On: ITV4 (30 / 120)
    Date: Saturday 9th September 2006 (starting in 3 days)
    Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

522666. Series 1, episode 5.
    Drama series about a retired FBI agent who is an authority on serial killers. Frank searches for a depraved lone bomber who derives pleasure from the anticipation of explosions.
    (New Episode)

Starring: Lance Henriksen, Megan Gallagher, Terry O'Quinn, Brittany Tiplady, Sam Anderson, Joe Chrest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31666

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

23. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Barbara, I appreciate your reply.

Pooch put up a thread today about this. Apparently Sky has made the mistake by putting "Programmes start on Monday" for ITV4 for next Saturday and Sunday, on the Sky EPG. Apparently ITV4 are showing everything as normal.

I didn't want to miss Millenium. Last Saturday's reception of this was diabolical. The weather wasn't so good but other channels were o.k. I saw about ten seconds then the dreaded "satellite signal" banner would come up for a few seconds then back to the programme for a bit then the banner again ad nauseam.

24. bainsyboy

bainsyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ITV lost the plot when they sacked Geofrey, Zippy, Bungle and the pink thing, I havent watched ITV since