ITV and C4 and others not recieved

columboid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I can't get some channels on freeview, most notably ITV and C4.
My theory is that it's because our aerial signal is a bit weak (grainy on analogue).
But someone said to me that if you can get most other channels fine (which we can) then we should get all of them.
Is this right.

or, do the digital channels come from different broadcast centres and therefore the signals will vary in strength.
If this is the case I don't understand why I can get ITV1+1 but not ITV1?

ANy help gratefully recieved.
ta
C

Enter your postcode in here and see which type of aerial is recommended for your location

http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

The different muxes are transmitted at different strengths and, to a certain extent, you may have answered your own question by saying "..our aerial signal is a bit weak (grainy on analogue)"

Each individual case is different but "...if you can get most other channels fine then you should get all of them." isn't necessarily true

After checking the Wolfbane site you will most likely be told amplified aerial required. And to be honest with you would be best getting a aerial installer to fit a new digital aerial with 4 way masthead amp. This way you can feed other TV's in the house and be ready for the analogue switch off.

To aid your understanding:

All of Freeview comes to you using a set of six UHF frequencies (aka "channels"). Details of what's in each of these six (each of which is called a "multiplex") are here:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/dtt_channels.html

If you can receive one programme in any one of these multiplexes, then you will receive all* programmes in that multiplex. And, conversely, if you can't receive any one* programme in a given multiplex, then all of that multiplex will be unreceivable.

So, you may receive, say, only four out of the six - and hence you get all* of the programmes in those four, only.

If you find that you can receive one progrmme in a given multiplex, but not another* then reception is not the problem.

* all/any one/another: locally transmitted and unencrypted.

A variant on the above. Last week, another relative and I could not receive ITV2 and ITV3 on Mux 2, other channels on that Mux being OK.

We had to reinstall all services to reacquire these channels. Adding new services hadn't worked.

We live in the Midhurst (Rowbridge) area.

Is there an explanation for this?

I also have (had) lost ITV2 and ITV3 despite all others being OK.
Glad I found this post - reinstalled the channels and now all OK. Strange this has happened and I think it has also done it on another Freeview box I have.

Is this normal? Do changes get made occassionally?

A variant on the above. Last week, another relative and I could not receive ITV2 and ITV3 on Mux 2, other channels on that Mux being OK.

We had to reinstall all services to reacquire these channels. Adding new services hadn't worked.

We live in the Midhurst (Rowbridge) area.

Is there an explanation for this?

There is. The broadcasters rearrange channels from time to time and normally this causes no problems. The difference is that when they did it a few weeks ago, they also took the opportunity to change the Network IDs (an internal ID that the user never usually sees) for ITV2 and ITV3 to bring them into line across the country. This gave problems in some areas as STBs were never designed for this to change (it usually stays the same throughout the life of the channel). Since the STBs weren't really designed to cope with a Network ID change, they reacted in different ways when the user did a simple "Add Channels". Some gave no sound, some lost ITV 2 & 3 completely and others put ITV2 & 3 onto the channels usually allocated for channels with no LCNs (801, 802, etc.).

The fix, as already mentioned, is simply to do a complete rescan which deletes the old IDs and replaces them with new, valid data.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom