iTunes/Vudu/GooglePlay/MA Code Redemption & Playback FAQ + Q&A Thread (Please read OP as questions may already be answered)

This is… I’ve bought that content…. Don’t make me move to America to access it! Lol

Yes, it’s not quite the same thing as getting around streaming restrictions, as the content has been bought, so hopefully there’s less likelihood of studios pushing for restrictions.
That’s a very loose I’ve bought it though when buying a code we’re not really entitled to be in possession of.
Even buying direct from the US store to a certain extent is legally committing fraud.
Massive grey area on that front though, hopefully it doesn’t bite us on the back side some time down the line 🤞

That’s a very loose I’ve bought it though when buying a code we’re not really entitled to be in possession of.
Even buying direct from the US store to a certain extent is legally committing fraud.
Massive grey area on that front though, hopefully it doesn’t bite us on the back side some time down the line 🤞
Agree, but then…..

I lived in America for years… bought every blu ray/code legally, redeemed them in iTunes as was my right….

Moved to the U.K., now you’re stopping me watching my films!!!

What gives! Lol

Now I’m not an IP lawyer (and I’m 99.99% sure you’re not 😀), but I doubt it’s fraud. (May be a breach of contract?). However as I’ve said before when this comes up, they can put whatever they want in T&Cs to make you think they’ve restricted what you’ve bought, and what you can do with your purchase, but that doesn’t mean the conditions are legally binding. Legal cases will often favour the user rather than the seller (as in recent software license cases).

Last edited:
There were a few I could not find codes for, at least not codes that were cheaper than just buying it outright.
X-Men
X2
13th Warrior

Recently I bought the UHD version of both X-Men films for $10. Since they were already UDH I bought on Vudu.
13th Warrior went on sale for $8, but in HD, so I bought it on iTunes, hoping for that future upgrade to UHD.
I check the MA Deals every Sunday evening, since they cover all the retailers.

Now I’m not an IP lawyer (and I’m 99.99% sure you’re not 😀), but I doubt it’s fraud. (May be a breach of contract?). However as I’ve said before when this comes up, they can put whatever they want in T&Cs to make you think they’ve restricted what you’ve bought, and what you can do with your purchase, but that doesn’t mean the conditions are legally binding. Legal cases will often favour the user rather than the seller (as in recent software license cases).
If creating an account using fake names and address doesn’t count as fraud then I guess you may have a point 🤣

If creating an account using fake names and address doesn’t count as fraud then I guess you may have a point 🤣
It’s hardly a criminal offence to use an address in the US. Do you use a fake name? (Mr G. Onzo?) 🤣 Not sure that’s a criminal offence either, anyway.

Certainly if you buy a US code from someone who has bought the disc, it’s likely you legally own that code and the right to watch the movie, irrespective of what the T&Cs say. Not as sure about codes that were taken from a disc by a distributer, but I guess if they clearly sell the disc without the code, they have the code to do with what they want.

It‘s not like stealing the content. I guess it depends if circumventing the limitations of using the code is criminal in any way. It’s probably just a civil issue, if at all.

I suspect if the studios thought the law was on their side, this would’ve come to a head by now.

Sorry, just trying to get my head round it all….

Was looking to buy American sniper… looked at the 4k spreadsheet… no 4k code available, purchase direct from iTunes etc.

So this picture I’ve attached doesn’t make sense to me?

Attachments

• 9C726BB4-C19D-4AF4-AC30-467DDB5CBE8E.jpeg
    9C726BB4-C19D-4AF4-AC30-467DDB5CBE8E.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 49

Was looking to buy American sniper… looked at the 4k spreadsheet… no 4k code available, purchase direct from iTunes etc.

1642718400522.gif

I checked my transaction history, because I have that one.
I bought it directly from iTunes for $8.
That's cheaper than the codes I'm seeing for UHD.

Toss a coin, Heads you take a punt Tails you don’t 😉
Fair….

But… the spreadsheet says there’s no 4k code for that… so is this wrong? Fake?

Sorry, just when I think I’m getting to grips with it all, something else pops up.

I should have just done a law degree, less stressful. Lol

Earlier I saw a 'UHD' code for "Get on Up", the James Brown story, but when I looked at ALL the partners, none of them have a UHD version, so I'm dubious about purchasing.

Earlier I saw a 'UHD' code for "Get on Up", the James Brown story, but when I looked at ALL the partners, none of them have a UHD version, so I'm dubious about purchasing.
It’s a digital minefield out there, one wrong move and you could end up with….. an ugly HD version! 😂

American Sniper has not been released on 4K UHD disc, so there aren’t any ‘proper’ 4K disc codes as such.
MA had a promotion a while back where they were offering some (Warner) UHD titles for free or purchase (at a discount I think) as a promotion.

Edge of Tomorrow was another one in the promo, which I got to upgrade my HD version which would’ve been hard to upgrade without a 4K disc release. I got sent a screenshot of an MA screen showing the code.
It was a MA offer that allowed these sellers to get hold of ‘MA’ UHD codes, but not available generally, so that’s why it’s not on the spreadsheet. The American Sniper 4K code will work if you redeem it on MA.

American Sniper has not been released on 4K UHD disc, so there aren’t any ‘proper’ 4K disc codes as such.
MA had a promotion a while back where they were offering some (Warner) UHD titles for free or purchase (at a discount I think) as a promotion.

Edge of Tomorrow was another one in the promo, which I got to upgrade my HD version which would’ve been hard to upgrade without a 4K disc release. I got sent a screenshot of an MA screen showing the code.
It was a MA offer that allowed these sellers to get hold of ‘MA’ UHD codes, but not available generally, so that’s why it’s not on the spreadsheet. The American Sniper 4K code will work if you redeem it on MA.
Thank you. Appreciate that m8! 👍🏻

Good spot, I missed that minor detail.
Yeah unfortunately there is no iTunes redeem possible for that John Wick Triple code and being Lionsgate no MA.
Oh wait. I was sure I read that Vudu codes went into iTunes is that not right? So whats the point of a Vudu code then, does that just stay in Vudu?

Oh wait. I was sure I read that Vudu codes went into iTunes is that not right? So whats the point of a Vudu code then, does that just stay in Vudu?
Only if they’re MA (and you have MA set up). Otherwise they just stay in vudu (but to vudu users, that’s no problem).

If you're using a VPN / Smart DNS, Vudu is easy enough to set up on ATV. I only use it for cheap TV Series codes as I like all my movies in one place.

Fair….

But… the spreadsheet says there’s no 4k code for that… so is this wrong? Fake?

Sorry, just when I think I’m getting to grips with it all, something else pops up.

I should have just done a law degree, less stressful. Lol
The 4k spreadsheet does specifically say at the top that it only covers disc codes, not studio codes.

Fanflix regularly has $4.99 offers (need US paypay/card however) and American Sniper 4K was originally purchased from there:

(not sure if this particular promotion is still valid as it started ages ago)

The 4k spreadsheet does specifically say at the top that it only covers disc codes, not studio codes.

Fanflix regularly has $4.99 offers (need US paypay/card however) and American Sniper 4K was originally purchased from there:

(not sure if this particular promotion is still valid as it started ages ago)
Cheers. I’m new to all this, so it’s a case of soaking it all up like a sponge. Lol.

That’s another good thing I’ve learned. Cheers. 👍🏻

To anyone that uses movies anywhere, just wanted to let you know it’s possible to have titles removed from your library for whatever reason. I had a title I wanted removed… contacted them on live chat, and within a few minutes the title was gone from my library.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom