iTunes/Vudu/GooglePlay/MA Code Redemption & Playback FAQ + Q&A Thread (Please read OP as questions may already be answered)

Cheers chief. It was a great workaround and those GP codes were nice and cheap but that's a ballache. Fingers crossed we can get a workaround........boo.
Can't see any follow up posts on this about a workaround, but FWIW I've just redeemed a code from the US Blu-ray of Empire Records onto my UK Google account by simply adding "?gl=US" to the end of this URL instead:

https://play.google.com/redeem

So in my use case, it was: https://play.google.com/redeem?gl=US

It definitely worked because I've just played a bit of the film on my Chromecast with Google TV, which is only tied to my UK account. I would assume this trick will also work for the Canadian codes but obviously cannot verify this. Maybe @Smurf100 can check too. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Can't see any follow up posts on this about a workaround, but FWIW I've just redeemed a code from the US Blu-ray of Empire Records onto my UK Google account by doing simply adding "?gl=US" to the end of this URL instead:

It definitely worked because I've just played a bit of the film on my Chromecast with Google TV, which is only tied to my UK account. I would assume this trick will also work for the Canadian codes but obviously cannot verify this. Maybe @Smurf100 can check too. Hope this helps. :)
Aw thanks man, just tried that and it worked!!!

Superb. Now I can tuck into those cheap GP codes again.

Cheers again squire, much appreciated!

Can't see any follow up posts on this about a workaround, but FWIW I've just redeemed a code from the US Blu-ray of Empire Records onto my UK Google account by simply adding "?gl=US" to the end of this URL instead:

Thanks @PlexShaw that's great news, I can also confirm this workaround is working (again) - have just tried with a US GP code...

1661762148561.png

I’ve re-edited that section to avoid any further confusion.
Thanks!

I’ve bought HD titles in iTunes, they upgraded in iTunes, and it followed through to MA
I still haven't been able to confirm or deny that it passes through. The only title I'm aware of that upgraded on iTunes for me was Lost Boys, but so far it's not actually reporting itself as UHD on iTunes or Apple-TV, even though it does play in UHD/DV.
Soon I'll have the upgrade to Wayne's World, but that's not a MA title, Paramount.

I still haven't been able to confirm or deny that it passes through. The only title I'm aware of that upgraded on iTunes for me was Lost Boys, but so far it's not actually reporting itself as UHD on iTunes or Apple-TV, even though it does play in UHD/DV.
Soon I'll have the upgrade to Wayne's World, but that's not a MA title, Paramount.
Definitely no porting to MA of itunes HD to 4K upgrades. The post you now quote (from January!) was confirmed to be an error literally a couple of posts after it was written

It was most definitely literal.
I was hoping to see for myself when the Lost Boys upgraded, but alas it's not to be, thus far.

The only title I'm aware of that upgraded on iTunes for me was Lost Boys, but so far it's not actually reporting itself as UHD on iTunes or Apple-TV, even though it does play in UHD/DV.
I had similar with Shawshank redemption when that upgraded from HD to UHD on iTunes.
Try hiding it from your library & then unhiding it (via PC/Mac). That then made iTunes/Apple TV to report it as UHD for me.

The upgrade doesn’t upgrade to MA though. The MA version stayed HD.

Last edited:
a way to still redeem UK Universal codes? I got one the other day and it redeemed on their site but Google Play said it was expired.
I had luck redeeming Universal codes directly to iTunes in the past.
At first I tried the normal route & it claimed expired.
However, those were codes for Universal in the U.S..

I’ve just been asked to reconnect my services to MA due to permissions expiring.
Should I force my iTunes connection back to my US account? I’m assuming it won’t port over to my UK account still?

Try it & let us know, but I doubt MA will recognize an account outside of North America.

I've never had mine disconnect, but I've disconnected it myself to try to get the UHD upgrade from iTunes to pass through, HA!
I tried every which way but loose, but finally caved & just paid to upgrade it across all platforms.

I was sure it upgraded the old title, but instead I now have two releases:

PXL_20221004_172812946.jpg

Folks are going to pretend like I just ignored what was written here, but I like to try stuff for myself anyway, as long as there's no harm in it.

When I 'bumped' the MA title to UHD it remained just 1 entry on every other platform, so I think going forward I will just get HD titles the cheapest way possible, instead of holding out for iTunes to have the sale.

I’ve just been asked to reconnect my services to MA due to permissions expiring.
Should I force my iTunes connection back to my US account? I’m assuming it won’t port over to my UK account still?

You must link to US iTunes account.

With Google, you should be fine. It will port into Google Play UK.

Google Play is Google Play, as far as I know it's not regionalized.
Some applications aren't available in certain regions, but they don't identify as U.S. or U.K., in my experience.
When I moved from the Land of Smiles (TH), nothing changed for my Google account.

did you find a pattern on which HD movie GP provides a 4K update? Seems super arbitrary to me, only a few so far....

did you find a pattern on which HD movie GP provides a 4K update? Seems super arbitrary to me, only a few so far....
No idea mate. I've redeemed two films using the US URL trick to add them to my UK GP account and in both cases they were only available in HD.

Google Play is Google Play, as far as I know it's not regionalized.
Some applications aren't available in certain regions, but they don't identify as U.S. or U.K., in my experience.
When I moved from the Land of Smiles (TH), nothing changed for my Google account.
Some films won’t port on Google play (eg if the film has a different name in the UK).

A fair number of US & CA GP movies were upgraded to 4K starting from Oct 2018, but with the upgrades not porting to Movies Anywhere and beyond.

However when Google rolled this out to the UK in May 2020 only a very small fraction of movies ended up ever getting upgraded compared to US/CA

I've had 23 CA ones ostensibly upgraded from HD to 4K and zero UK ones

FWIW since the Google Play Movies app was removed from most smart TVs in June 21, limiting playback to Youtube, I've not had a way to play anything directly from my GP account in 4K quality, and I've no intention of buying any other devices just for that purpose

Seems the 4K redemption spreadsheet is no longer available.
It used to be embedded into post 1 but just shows this now

E44645C4-DAAB-4C68-BF3D-F7D7E2D8212A.jpeg

Hey all. Anyone else picked up Avatar: Way of Water on US iTunes?

Having bought it, its showing up and is playable in my Moves Anywhere account but its not flowed through yet to my Google or YouTube accounts. Has anyone else had the same issue? Maybe its just taking a bit of time....seems odd to not flow if its showing up in my MA account.....but just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

Cheers y'alls.

Having bought it, its showing up and is playable in my Moves Anywhere account but its not flowed through yet to my Google or YouTube accounts. Has anyone else had the same issue? Maybe its just taking a bit of time....seems odd to not flow if its showing up in my MA account.....but just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

Cheers y'alls.
Same here.

Cheers y'alls.
Mate it’s just the way it is with water sometimes, it’ll be beavers up stream, they’ll have built a dam blocking the flow 🦫
IMG_1630.gif

I’ll grab me coat on the way out 🫣

The latest video from AVForums

Quality vs. Convenience: How do you consume your movies & TV shows?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom