iTunes/Vudu/GooglePlay/MA Code Redemption & Playback FAQ + Q&A Thread (Please read OP as questions may already be answered)

jambomakaveli

Managed to sign myself up to movies anywhere. Linked my US itunes. I then bought my first movie. I made sure it was movies anywhere compatible, and also saw that it was 4k on iTunes. Therefore if I bought an hd movies anywhere version, it would go into my iTunes library in 4k?

Only issue is, I’m not sure how I know or check?

I’ve attached two pictures. Allied I bought through iTunes and shows that it’s 4k…. Aloha that I redeemed through movies anywhere, it doesn’t have the 4k/hd description?

Attachments

• 709C7D56-B3CE-4E05-8313-85DB798B3508.jpeg
    709C7D56-B3CE-4E05-8313-85DB798B3508.jpeg
    429.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 4B7FB274-BE7E-4B7C-B3F4-F89FD25156A3.jpeg
    4B7FB274-BE7E-4B7C-B3F4-F89FD25156A3.jpeg
    528.7 KB · Views: 12

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Managed to sign myself up to movies anywhere. Linked my US itunes. I then bought my first movie. I made sure it was movies anywhere compatible, and also saw that it was 4k on iTunes. Therefore if I bought an hd movies anywhere version, it would go into my iTunes library in 4k?

Only issue is, I’m not sure how I know or check?

I’ve attached two pictures. Allied I bought through iTunes and shows that it’s 4k…. Aloha that I redeemed through movies anywhere, it doesn’t have the 4k/hd description?
You only get 4K from a HD code with direct to iTunes.
If you’re wanting 4K to flow from Movies Anywhere then it needs to be an actual 4K code with a valid 4K redemption.
If you’d had checked the spreadsheet which is linked to and also embedded in post 1 you’d have seen there is no 4K code for Aloha so would need to be a direct to retailer purchase.

Last edited:

jambomakaveli

You only get 4K from a HD code with direct to iTunes.
If you’re wanting 4K to flow from Movies Anywhere then it needs to be an actual 4K code with a valid 4K redemption.
Thanks for clarifying. So on a lot of the code sites I’ve been browsing, there’s a lot of hd codes around, but don’t see many 4k ones.

Does that mean a lot of people are happy with hd rather than 4k?

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Thanks for clarifying. So on a lot of the code sites I’ve been browsing, there’s a lot of hd codes around, but don’t see many 4k ones.

Does that mean a lot of people are happy with hd rather than 4k?
There’s plenty of 4K codes around but always check the spreadsheet that’s linked to and also embedded into post 1 as that’ll give you the heads up before you go looking, for example you’d see that Aloha doesn’t have a 4K code so would be a direct to retailer purchase for 4K.

jambomakaveli

There’s only plenty of 4K codes around but always check the spreadsheet that’s linked to and also embedded into post 1 as that’ll give you the heads up before you go looking, for example you’d see that Aloha doesn’t have a 4K code so would be a direct to retailer purchase for 4K.
Thanks, I’ll check the spreadsheet before every purchase from now on. Appreciate the help.

I misread, and got it completely backwards lol….

“There’s one exception to the rule being if you redeem a HD iTunes code while a title is already 4K then it will flow through to MA with those same 4K rights.”

I understand it all now.

Thanks again. Appreciate it.

stephentw

Can anyone tell me if I go through and create a US iTunes account can I then add it into my Apple TV+ app on an Nvidia Shield? I currently have a UK one in there but I have a US Vudu John Wick UHD triple pack burning a hole in my pocket.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Can anyone tell me if I go through and create a US iTunes account can I then add it into my Apple TV+ app on an Nvidia Shield? I currently have a UK one in there but I have a US Vudu John Wick UHD triple pack burning a hole in my pocket.
Yep-no issues there.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
So it works the same, you can have 2 accounts on the app?
Once logged in it’s just a matter of going to accounts and switching between the two AppleID’s.
Just to be aware as I noticed you mentioned ATV+ app, the ATV+ app only provides the Apple subscription service whereas the ATV app has both ATV+ and Store/Library content.
So as long as it’s the ATV app and not ATV+ then you’re good to go.

Souljacker99

I don't think John Wick is available on MA though so I'm not sure how having a Vudu code is going to make it available on US iTunes?
It is just the ATV app on the shield though so you would have no problems having a US and UK apple account on there.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
I don't think John Wick is available on MA though so I'm not sure how having a Vudu code is going to make it available on US iTunes?
It is just the ATV app on the shield though so you would have no problems having a US and UK apple account on there.
Good spot, I missed that minor detail.
Yeah unfortunately there is no iTunes redeem possible for that John Wick Triple code and being Lionsgate no MA.

jambomakaveli

Just wanted to ask what peoples code buying habits were, in regards to 4k/hd….

Gone down the movies anywhere hole…

Before that it was simple for me… just iTunes, so buy a film and if it’s 4k great, if not, if it becomes 4k, it should be freely upgraded.

Now with buying codes that redeem in movies anywhere then port to iTunes…. I’m personally just gonna buy 4k codes… then that way I’m as 4k proofed as I can be. Lol.

It’s hard to ignore the price value wise with movies anywhere. I was looking at buying bohemian rhapsody… $20 or £10 on either store.

But a code for 4k that ports to iTunes is £6.

Buy a load of movies that way and the saving would really all add up.

Long post short… I guess I’m wondering if people buy from the proper stores if there’s no 4k code around and only hd.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
HD codes & HD store purchases, direct to iTunes only.
MA codes, 4K only.
The only HD MA will be the freebies that crop up now and then.
If there’s an obscurity regarding the Studio involved and I know a 4K release is imminent then I might wait and see which country it turns in first before I decide to buy.

Last edited:

jambomakaveli

HD codes & HD store purchases, direct to iTunes only.
MA codes, 4K only.
The only HD MA will be the freebies that crop up now and then.
Ahhh good. So I’m thinking along the right lines. Lol. 👍🏻

robcat101

Just wanted to ask what peoples code buying habits were, in regards to 4k/hd….

Gone down the movies anywhere hole…

Before that it was simple for me… just iTunes, so buy a film and if it’s 4k great, if not, if it becomes 4k, it should be freely upgraded.

Now with buying codes that redeem in movies anywhere then port to iTunes…. I’m personally just gonna buy 4k codes… then that way I’m as 4k proofed as I can be. Lol.

It’s hard to ignore the price value wise with movies anywhere. I was looking at buying bohemian rhapsody… $20 or £10 on either store.

But a code for 4k that ports to iTunes is £6.

Buy a load of movies that way and the saving would really all add up.

Long post short… I guess I’m wondering if people buy from the proper stores if there’s no 4k code around and only hd.
It’s also worth keeping an eye on CheapCharts, as if you catch £2.99 offer, that’s often cheaper than a 4K MA code - this will be the older titles. (And all else bring equal, it’s probably best having a film in your UK account).

jambomakaveli

It’s also worth keeping an eye on CheapCharts, as if you catch £2.99 offer, that’s often cheaper than a 4K MA code - this will be the older titles. (And all else bring equal, it’s probably best having a film in your UK account).
Thanks buddy. Will do.

Out of interest… why best having it in the U.K. account?

I can’t remember where, Reddit I think… but saw a massive list of comparisons on movies about what country had a better version/been upgraded/Dolby vision etc….

And it was literally 10 USA films were better, then 1 U.K. film….. 10 USA…. 1 U.K. and so on. Lol.

So just thought as usual, when it comes to USA vs U.K… we generally get shafted.

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Thanks buddy. Will do.

I can’t remember where, Reddit I think… but saw a massive list of comparisons on movies about what country had a better version/been upgraded/Dolby vision etc….

And it was literally 10 USA films were better, then 1 U.K. film….. 10 USA…. 1 U.K. and so on. Lol.

So just thought as usual, when it comes to USA vs U.K… we generally get shafted.
Swings and Roundabouts on that one as occasionally it’s the other way around and the US gets shafted.
Granted we do usually fall fowl to international distribution discrepancies but should definitely treat some of these on a case by case basis.

jambomakaveli

Swings and Roundabouts on that one as occasionally it’s the other way around and the US gets shafted.
Granted we do usually fall fowl to international distribution discrepancies but should definitely treat some of these on a case by case basis.
Cheers. I’ll take it film by film i guess.

I can’t stand to look at my ugly little hd copy of inglorious basterds sitting in my U.K. library. Knowing that the US version is 4k.

As I’m new to all this… is it worth hoping the U.K. one goes 4k? Or is it a case of never, because x y and z company own the rights/done the 4k transfer etc.

If I know never or probably never then I’ll double dip. 😬

-gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Cheers. I’ll take it film by film i guess.

I can’t stand to look at my ugly little hd copy of inglorious basterds sitting in my U.K. library. Knowing that the US version is 4k.

As I’m new to all this… is it worth hoping the U.K. one goes 4k? Or is it a case of never, because x y and z company own the rights/done the 4k transfer etc.

If I know never or probably never then I’ll double dip. 😬
I guess you can never say never, it took 3 years for T2 Trainspotting to turn 4K in the UK after the US got it in 2018.

jambomakaveli

I guess you can never say never, it took 3 years for T2 Trainspotting to turn 4K in the UK after the US got it in 2018.
I’ve got other films to watch. I’ll pencil inglorious in for a watch in 2025! 😂

robcat101

Without wishing to open another can of worms, if you’re not paying any more, your UK account is “safer” if (on the extremely unlikely chance) there was ever any geo-restricting of US accounts.

jambomakaveli

Without wishing to open another can of worms, if you’re not paying any more, your UK account is “safer” if (on the extremely unlikely chance) there was ever any geo-restricting of US accounts.
Yeh that makes absolute sense m8.

Assuming I was having to buy from the iTunes Store… and the uk was cheaper or the same, I’d go with the uk.

I couldn’t even start to think of a time where I’d built up a massive us library, only to suddenly be hit with geo restrictions.

Think I’d instantly give up films and turn to books! Lol

robcat101

Yeh that makes absolute sense m8.

Assuming I was having to buy from the iTunes Store… and the uk was cheaper or the same, I’d go with the uk.

I couldn’t even start to think of a time where I’d built up a massive us library, only to suddenly be hit with geo restrictions.

Think I’d instantly give up films and turn to books! Lol
Yes. I’m getting on for 500 on US, so I would be extremely unhappy! I’m in the “it’ll never happen” camp wrt restrictions, but you never know.

jambomakaveli

Yes. I’m getting on for 500 on US, so I would be extremely unhappy! I’m in the “it’ll never happen” camp wrt restrictions, but you never know.
I guess if enough noise was made from studios losing money, or some organisation losing money they could put the pressure on.

I remember using unblock us and watching all sorts on American, Canadian Netflix etc… then bang! End of. Lol.

That was more a workaround, a back door….

This is… I’ve bought that content…. Don’t make me move to America to access it! Lol

robcat101

I guess if enough noise was made from studios losing money, or some organisation losing money they could put the pressure on.

I remember using unblock us and watching all sorts on American, Canadian Netflix etc… then bang! End of. Lol.

That was more a workaround, a back door….

This is… I’ve bought that content…. Don’t make me move to America to access it! Lol
Yes, it’s not quite the same thing as getting around streaming restrictions, as the content has been bought, so hopefully there’s less likelihood of studios pushing for restrictions.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Triangle announces new wireless Borea Active bookshelf speakers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp