iTunes/UV/MA Redemption & Playback FAQ (Please read OP as questions may already be answered)

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by -gonzo-, Mar 7, 2018.

1. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    To prevent the Off Topic Police having an aneurysm in the other threads I thought id create a thread for all those iTunes/UV & MA redemption queries that seem to crop up frequently so post away in here.

FAQ

Can digital copies be redeemed in my UK iTunes account?
    If the code shows iTunes on it then yes you can redeem in your UK iTunes account and providing it’s a HD code it will upgrade to 4K if or when available.
    Ultraviolet codes cannot be redeemed in a UK iTunes account but fear not as there is another option so carry on reading through the rest of the FAQ to find out how.

An introduction to digital lockers:

What is UV?
    UV or UltraViolet is a digital locker created by DECE supporting content from WB, Sony, Paramount, Universal and Fox as well as some minor studios. It was launched in 2011. Disney, Apple, Google and Amazon all declined to be part of the UV locker system.
    All Ultraviolet content is stored in MyUV.com which is linked to the Ultraviolet playback service of your choosing.

Example of use:
    Purchase Blade Runner 2049 on Blu-ray and it should come with an UV digital code which can be redeemed on Flixster Video. This enables you to stream/down the movie via Flixster video.
    In the US UV playback is supported by Vudu and FandangoNow
    Both services are linked by MyUV.com

What is MA?
    Movies Anywhere (MA) is a digital locker system released in late 2017. This is a digital locker system is spearheaded by Disney's keychest platform in order to synchronise libraries and licenses. MA links the largest digital libraries such as Google Play Movies, iTunes(US), Vudu, Amazon and as of March 2018 Fandango Now.
    At present it is restricted to the US with supported studios being:
    Disney
    Universal Pictures
    Twentieth Century Fox
    Warner Bros
    Sony Pictures
    At this time Paramount,Lionsgate & MGM including any of their subsidiary companies do not support MA.

Example of use:
    You could purchase a compatible film on iTunes USA connected to your MA account. Let's say The Dark Knight in 4k/UHD. Once the title is added to your iTunes library it will flow to your MA keychest locker. This will then synchronise to connected provider accounts so it will also appear in your Google library, Amazon library, Vudu mymovies and FandangoNow Movies.
    (If your in the UK then you’ll see content from your US iTunes account appear in your Flixster Library and content from your Flixster Library in your US iTunes Library, UK Google Library etc)

Now the basics are done here's some common questions and explanations in regards to MA/UV:

Where do I redeem my UK UV code?
    MyUV.com
    Fox codes - choice of Google Play or UV (If you pick G play no UV right will be given)
    Flixster: Predominantly the only UK Ultraviolet redeem and playback option.

My Fox redeem code never gave me 4k!?!
    Fox redeem codes at this time regardless of source will only provide HD rights. If you're purchasing a code for a digital movie from Fox, do not pay extra for one sourced from a UHD Disc.

How can I playback Flixster Video/UV content on my TV?
    Sadly Flixster lacks smart TV apps and TalkTalk TV (Formerly Blinkbox) no longer supports UV. This makes playing content on your TV more of a challenge. In order to playback Flixster on a TV you require a device such as a Google Chromecast. You may then cast the content from the Flixster website or mobile app to the Chromecast connected to your TV.
    If your an TV user and also use an iOS device you can Airplay using the Flixster Video app.

I can't play 4k titles from Flixster?
    At this time Flixster does not support 4k playback.

I want to play my UK UV locker through somewhere other than Flixster?
    This is where the digital lockers get interesting. You are able to play some UV titles through somewhere other than Flixster, however you need to follow several steps to achieve this.
    Flixster(UK) and Vudu(US) both use MyUV as the Ultraviolet Digital Locker so acts as an unofficial bridge betweeen the UK & US services.)
    Create a Vudu account*, link Vudu to your UV locker(MyUV). Create a MA account*, link to Vudu, (you can also link to Amazon, Google, Microsoft and FandangoNow*). This will allow for playback of some Non-US UV content through the US MA ecosystem, see below for qualifiers.

*(Requires US IP Address so use of a VPN/DNS service would be required)
    * Ultraviolet content will NOT pass through Fandangonow to Movies Anywhere, can only be achieved via Vudu.

What accounts can I link to MA?
    iTunes
    Fandango Now
    Google Play
    Vudu
    Amazon Prime Video
    Microsoft Movies

When linking to iTunes a US account is required as you cannot link a UK account to MA.
    When linking to Google there is no limit on account location, once linked you can view your linked content via Google Play & YouTube. *.
    When linking to Amazon there is no limit on account location*.
    Vudu and FandangoNow are US only.
    When linking to Microsoft there is no limit on account location, once linked you can view your linked content via Windows 10 and an Xbox One*.

Why are there asterisks above?
    When linking MA to non US accounts you will only have content flow down from MA rather than up to. Should you link a UK google account to MA you will only import titles from MA.
    No titles from your UK google account library will flow to the MA locker.
    Microsoft Movies bought from the UK will not flow to the MA locker, however if you change your Xbox store to the US and make a movie purchase it will flow to the MA locker.
    For Amazon playback is required through Amazon.com(US) rather than amazon.co.uk as UK accounts restrict access to MA.

I tried signing up to MA but it said no proxies/VPNs?
    As MA is limited to the US at this time they are trying to stop users from other countries signing up via VPN. At launch many VPN IPs were not blocked but over time known IP addresses have been blocked.
    As it currently stands it’s a case of trying different VPNs or DNS services until you find one that works.
    Give these a try:
    Windscribe VPN extension on Chrome, set to US(East)
    Or use the Winscribe VPN app via Google Play Store, set to US(East)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.windscribe.vpn

Another to try is a 2 VPN method using Tunnelbear & NordVPN:
    Use Tunnelbear to put in details then press continue it will say no proxy or vpn don't refresh and switch to NordVPN(using Server 801)and press continue.
    All being good you should now have MA up and running.

Also another to try if no luck with the above:
    SoftEther VPN Project - SoftEther VPN Project

(Please let us know if these no longer work)

One of my films hasn't ported from UV to MA?
    First and foremost the film has to be from one of the 5 Movies Anywhere Studio Partners to port over. So any movies from Paramount,Lionsgate & MGM including any of their subsidiary companies will not port over at all.
    In order for a film to transfer from your UV locker to Vudu to MA it requires the film to have the same CID(ContentID) on each ecosystem. This occurs when the distributor in the US and UK are the same.
    If the distributors are different between countries they won’t port over ie: Sony in UK and Warner Bros in US.
    If there’s a difference in film title it also won’t port over ie: Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone in the UK, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone in the US.
    Another example: Grimsby in the UK, The Brothers Grimsby in the US.
    If a movie is from an unsupported MA partner it will not port over.
    Most of the Studios have different subsidiaries under different names so if your unsure if it’s from a supported partner Google the distributor and see what Wiki has to say.

Non-US UV's that transfer to Vudu

Where can I get redeem codes?
    Officially redeem codes come with the purchase of some UHD/HD Blurays and DVDs. However people sell their codes on eBay, Trading forums such as on Blu-ray.com & Market Places such as UltravioletCinema which has links to lots of vendors that are selling each movie listed.
    Another is UVSpider

What does iTunes via MA mean?
    It means that it’s probably an UV code which would need to be redeemed via Movies Anywhere for it to transfer to iTunes.
    More recent releases are just coming with MA codes.

How do I know if I will get 4k?
    Direct to iTunes HD purchases & codes should go 4K as and when the title goes 4K.
    There are NO free 4K upgrades on HD Ultraviolet that port to iTunes via MA so you’ll need to have a specific 4K code to get the 4K port to iTunes.
    Also the links in the chain also need to have the 4K/UHD option available too, ie: If Vudu doesn’t have a particular title in UHD then you won’t get 4K in iTunes.
    There's also a huge spreadsheet you should look through before posting here so use this chart for reference for 4K redemptions:
    Redeeming 4K/UHD Codes
    If you have trouble reading the spreadsheet on a Mobile try installing Google Sheets by Google and open it in there as makes things much easier.
    iPhone
    Android

Also bear in mind that the more recent releases in the US are coming with MA codes so you’ll need to make sure it’s a 4K code if you want the same in iTunes.

iTunes FAQ

US iTunes
    How to create a US iTunes account

Do you need a VPN/Smart DNS to use a US iTunes account in the UK
    Currently no, let’s hope it stays that way.

Are there restrictions on swapping between UK & US iTunes accounts?
    Via TV there are no current restrictions so you can swap between the two as you please. It’s just a case of adding both Apple ID’s then just selecting the one you want to use.
    However via a Mac,PC,iPhone or iPad you can swap between accounts fine and make purchases, but if you try to watch a Movie or TV show on the other account you’ll get a prompt that if you continue you will be locked to that Apple ID on that device for 90 days so you cannot then change back until that time has passed.

I've redeemed a title in MA/UV and it's shown up on iTunes but not been upgraded to 4k?
    Apple are only only upgrading HD titles 'purchased' from them. If you redeemed a code, bought or somehow acquired the movie from somewhere other than iTunes it will not be upgraded.

I have a UK iTunes library, can I port it to another service?
    No. Until M.A. is rolled out in the UK you cannot get the content to flow to other services.

Why have I got Movies I never purchased in my library since linking to Movies Anywhere?
    Link two or more accounts to Movies Anywhere, and you'll get free copies of five movies — one from each of the big studio partners: (This offer is likely to be for a limited period)
    •Big Hero 6 (Disney)
    •Ghostbusters (Sony)
    •Ice Age (20th Century Fox)
    •Jason Bourne (Universal)
    •The Lego Movie (WB)
    Link to a Microsoft account and you’ll get
    •X-Men Days of Future Past
    (This MA promotion may not be applicable forever so more recent signups may not get any free movies)

• Like Like x 16
    • Thanks Thanks x 7
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  2. robcat101

robcat101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Removed

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  3. MJC UK

MJC UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,049
    You’re a good man, Gonzo

4. IronSoldier

IronSoldier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    A small FAQ in the op could be good.
    Things like FOX codes won't give UHD rights, UK UVs only port to Vudu when they share distributer so have same CID ect :)

5. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Well there’s a job for you Lol,
    Write out the FAQ and I’ll copy and paste into the OP [emoji6][emoji106]

6. eamon

eamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Question, I have all my accounts linked with MA UV etc but, if I buy a code for a tv series that’s a GP code will I be able to redeem it with my uk account that is linked to UV and also I know it wouldn’t transfer to my us iTunes account but could I watch it on the ATV using the YouTube app? Thanks

7. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Nope afraid not, clues in the name ‘Movies Anywhere’ [emoji6]
    If you want TV shows then you’ll have to find TV Series that specifically have an iTunes code to redeem directly into iTunes.

8. eamon

eamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thanks, so YouTube is also a no go for it on ATV?

9. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Only if you buy it directly from Google Play if it’s available.

10. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Opening Post has been updated, massive thanks to @IronSoldier for being bored at the Dentist and helping out [emoji23][emoji106]
    If there’s anything else anyone can think of that needs adding then jot it down, PM me and I’ll add it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. eamon

eamon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Thanks, that’s buggered the cheap GP tv codes [emoji23]

12. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    And now all the links are in place, time to have a rest [emoji16]

13. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Strewth! I know I'm going off topic [emoji6], but good job Dude [emoji1417]

14. Singh79

Singh79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Finally! Can ask if these will redeem in 4k on US itunes?
    Baby Driver
    Creed
    John Wick 1&2
    Amazing Spider-Man 2

From what i can make out Amazing Spider-Man 2 and John Wick won’t upgrade to 4k?

15. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Please refer to the FAQ in the OP under the heading How do I know if I will get 4K? [emoji6][emoji14][emoji5]

16. Singh79

Singh79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Nope non are iTunes direct codes. That 4k spreadsheet doesn’t display properly on my iPhone.

17. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Fantastic effort, hugely useful. Assuming that this will evolve over time I really think this should be a sticky.

18. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Download this app then read it in that, it’s a doddle to read now [emoji106]
    Google Sheets by Google, Inc.Google Sheets on the App Store

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  19. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Thank you, request for a sticky has been submitted and it has indeed evolved already since you posted with more useful information [emoji106]

20. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Guys, please don't shoot me on this - but I've just bagged (I hope) a BR2049 UK HD UV bargain and need your help.

I've looked at the How do I know.... spreadsheet. It seems from that SS that I redeem the UV code in Vudu. Is that also the case for UK codes? Also, unless I'm reading it wrong (on my iPhone so difficult to read. I will download google sheets) the film once it ports to iTunes will not be 4k. Am I correct?

21. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Not only it won’t be 4K you won’t get HD or SD either.
    It won’t port over as it’s a Sony movie over here whereas Warner Bros in the US.

22. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Ouch! So not so much a bargain! I googled the UK distributor before buying and it said Warner [emoji30]

Any other ways to watch it on my tele? I do have a US account. Would that help?

23. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    If you have an iOS device you can Airplay from Flixster.
    Other than that hunt out a US code or just buy direct from the iTunes Store.

24. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Thanks Gonzo. I have an iPhone and iPad. What kind of visual and audio quality will it be when airplaying?

25. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Why not try it and see, you must have something in your Flixster Library to try then you can see for yourself as that’s got to be better than me trying to describe it Lol.
    You will notice that iPad will give a different ratio than iPhone, with iPhone being the preference.

26. MJC UK

MJC UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,049
    Are you alright to go around to his house and stream it from your iPhone? [emoji23]

27. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Or I could just use FaceTime, that’ll work right?[emoji23][emoji23]

28. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Right, after my mishap with BR2049, in terms of distributors - do we go by the cinema distributor or distributor on disc?

Also, is there a list of distributors whose film codes won't cut across to itunes?

29. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    You boys are veering off topic!!! [emoji6][emoji600]

30. -gonzo-

-gonzo-
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,036
    Generally you need to check both, just look at Wikipedia as that usually tells you if the distributor is different internationally.

All that’s covered in the FAQ in the OP.
    If they’re not from any of the MA partners they won’t port over.
    If the distributor is different between countries they won’t port over.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018