1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iTunes / Storage

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by scrapbook, Jan 18, 2005.

Tags:
  1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I need some advice from the forum readers please:

Assuming storage is not an issue, which is the best quality method to store tracks using itunes?

Can you give me some sort of top 3 in order of preference if possible?

Assuming I had 30GB of storage space roughly how many tracks could i store?

2. tufty

tufty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AIFF is uncompressed and should give you the best quality, but you are looking at about 40 to 60 MB per track. Apple Lossless is also uncompressed so should in theory be as good as AIFF but, (according to apple) only take up half the space, i.e 20 to 30 MB per track. AAC is a compressed format and is around a 10th the size of AIFF (when the standard 128 bit rate is used) i.e around 4 to 6 MB per track, it is still quite good in quality but naturally not as good as the uncompressed formats.

I'll let you do the maths for your 30GB hard drive, but I would recommend Apple Lossess if you have the space and want the best quality or AAC if you are limited on space and the audio quality is not so important. AAC should be good enough in most cases unless you are playing it through good quality hi-fi equipment.

I Have over 200 Albums stored in AIFF on a 250 GB Hard Drive and play them through a Linn Hi-Fi using an optical out from my mac, however the quality is still noticably better when I use the original CD in my Linn player over the files stored on the computer. That just proves that there are many other factors that effect the audio quality than just what format is used.

My advice would be to stick with AAC or it could get very expensive for you!