iTunes Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by Ralphy1981, Jan 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ralphy1981

Ralphy1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Hi folks :hiya:

Quick question for you all.

I have iTunes installed on my PC and have an extensive collection of tunes.

My iPod is regularly plugged into the PC via USB and i am happy!

Now the question. I've heard horror stories that if you plug someone else's iPod into your PC it will erase your entire iTunes collection of tunes? Is this a myth?

The reason I ask, my mate doesn't have a PC and wants me to bung some tunes on his ipod.

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,828
    Having not used iTunes myself (well, as in not had it installed on my PC, I have used it on other PC's and macs, but only briefly) I couldn't say this for sure, but if you have all your music in one place, can you not highlight it all, and right click > properties > and select READ ONLY meaing it can't be deleted?

to be totally safe, back up your music collection to a few DVD-R's or to another HDD and don't point iTunes at it (or even have it connected) that way if the worst happens, at least you have back up copies of all your music!

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    The risk is not that plugging in an iPod can wipe your PC iTunes library - that can't happen, as far as I know. The risk is that when you plug in a new iPod, the library *on the iPod* will be erased and replaced with tracks from your PC if you allow them to sync.

So, nothing for you to worry about. (Although, that said, making sure you have a backup of all your music files somewhere else, as Matt suggests, is a very good idea anyway!)

4. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Plugiing someone else's iPod into you Pc doesnt erase the iTunes library as i have 4 iPods (all the family) sharing our library. We all manually sync our iPods which then allows us to pick and choose what we want on our pods.

The advice given re backup is very sound advice and you should always have a backup, we have an external hard drive with all our tunes pics etc on that, theyre so cheap these days its criminal not to back up whatever you couldnt be without.:smashin:

5. Ralphy1981

Ralphy1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    How can I turn automatic syncing off? I don't want to delete his entire ipod library!! :D

6. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    When you first plug in a new iPod, iTunes should pop up a warning message telling you that this iPod is synced with another library, and syncing it with the library on your machine will erase all current content. The box has two options, "Erase & Sync" and "Cancel". Just press "Cancel".

7. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Note that if his iPod is already synced with another library, you can put some of your tracks on it by manually copying them, but unless he only ever wants to manually copy onto his iPod from his own library from then on, the next time he syncs with his library, the tracks added from your library will be deleted. This is a deliberate anti-piracy measure by Apple, and there is no way round it. (That, said, it is technically illegal for you to be giving him free MP3s anyway...)

8. Ralphy1981

Ralphy1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    I'm not giving him free MP3's. He's given me 10 cd's which i've copied onto my hard drive and then i'm putting them on his iPod.

He doesn't have a PC at present.

Anyway, i've encountered a problem.

When I just plugged his iPod into my USB it said 'new USB device detected'.

It's now saying to install software for it.

What shall I do? The iPod isn't being recognized by my iTunes.

9. Ralphy1981

Ralphy1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Well it doesn't matter now cos my entire library has gone.

I held shift when opening iTunes after reading the Apple website.

Clicked create library thinking I could create a new one and now my library has gone.

I'm livid.

10. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,828
  11. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Creating a new library shouldn't have erased your old one - are you sure you aren't just looking at the new library (which is empty)?

Search your machine for files called "iTunes Library.itl" and see if you have more than one - if so, hold down shift when starting iTunes again, and navigate to each one in turn, and see which is your original one.

12. elektrobix

elektrobix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Your old library should still be there, hold down shift again when you start up iTunes and choose your original library. Failing that you'll just have to re-add all of your music files from wherever your iTunes has them stored (they won't have been deleted) but i think that will lose all of your playcounts and playlists etc.

Installing software for the new iPod would have been fine by the way, then just switch it to manual mode and have it synch selected playlists.