itunes not recognising backup on iphone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by adam636, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. adam636

adam636
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im new here.

i upgraded to an iphone 4s the other day and when i plugged it in to itunes it came up the the normal options of creating new iphone, or restoring from backup

i click restore from backup which is my old 3gs, (backed up the same day)

it then says to leave the iphone plugged in and it will restart. when it does restart i get all my texts, pictures, notes and settings like i should. but when it goes back to itunes it still recognises it as a new phone and prompts me to either start from scratch or back up again.

i have been using my phone but i just cant put anything on it, music, apps etc.

does anybody know what is causing this or how i can resolve it, ive searched for hours on the internet.

2. Loeb

Loeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi adam636. welcome to the forum.
    I had sort of the same problem (although i didn't see it as a problem untill after) when i first plugged my new 4s in yesterday.
    When i plugged it in i clicked restore from back up which it did. When it turned back on it asked me to set up my new phone again but because i was so engrossed in my new phone i just clicked restore from back up again and it just did a quick load (or something, to be honest i wasn't paying attention) and it went back to the normal screen that says " your iphone is up to date".
    The thing i found was it didn't load any of my apps or photos that i had on my other phone. I managed to get the apps on, it was my fault as i didn't have "sync my apps" ticked. But the photos were a right pain, in the end i had to choose the photo album to sync to, sync it then turn the "sync my photos" off and click "no" when it asks "do you want to delete the photos".
    Wasn't as simple as i thought it was going to be.

3. adam636

adam636
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply, i have retored from backup a few times and it didnt work, i will have to keep trying. the other problem im having now is that i gave my old 3gs to my girlfriend and when she plugged it in to charge it overwrote the old backup. hopefully all my texts and pictures will be included in that backup but theres not a lot else i can do really.

also wanted to add a note that if you give your phone to someone else make sure you sign it out of your apple account. i didnt when i gave it to her and when i sent her an text it went through as an imessage. it did it as if id sent it from her phone. so she couldnt receive them. it was really weird.

4. adam636

adam636
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another thing i have noticed is that when i gave my old phone to my girlfriend i turned off 3g as she doesnt have a contract yet. when her phone backed up it made a backup of this setting.

the iphone 4s doesnt have the option to turn 3g on or off, so until she gets home from work i dont ave 3g

when she gets home i will have to turn her 3g on, then backup her phone then wipe mine and start over.

seriously, this is a simple phone?

5. Kev12

Kev12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    What's Settings>General>Network>cellular data on or off then?