Itunes music folder....

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by robwest78, Jan 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. robwest78

robwest78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got an external hard drive to store iTunes and all my music/videos/photos etc. I changed the location of the iTunes music folder, in preferences, to the hard drive which worked fine initially. It now has a habit of constantly defaulting to the 'my music' folder on my pc.
    Anyone know why it keeps doing this? It's a real pain as things disappear from my iPod every time it syncs with the computer rather than the hard drive!
    Why is nothing simple!!!!

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Make sure that the external drive is always appearing as the same drive letter, and never start iTunes without it connected. If iTunes fails to find the library, it will probably default back to where it thinks it ought to be...

3. dazza1011

dazza1011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    yep as above turn the hard drive on first then start up itunes also delete the itunes music folder from the c drive as if it there it will automatically default

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    I have the same problem as my music is stored on a NAS drive and it's annoying isn't it. I've found by trial and error that it's when I start iTunes up when the NAS drive isn't switched on that it changes the default back to the my documents. Now I always try and remember to check the setting before ripping anything.
    I also force the system to read the contents of the external drive before going into iTunes as I've found that sometimes the "My Computer" view of this drive still says "Disconnected" even when it's switched on and this causes iTunes to reset the folder as well.

5. robwest78

robwest78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one, cheers. I'll try sorting it out tonight. :smashin: