Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Itunes music file disk space problem thingy

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by pcusack, Aug 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. pcusack

pcusack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok

I think that I have missed something. I seem to use huge amounts of disk space on my laptop storing all the tracks. And so in nice easy steps....

I have Itunes and an Ipod mini. Standard configuration on iTunes.
    I copy the (required/favoured) tracks from cd's into Itunes.
    I update the mini.

Things work fine.

The problem is that I have a work laptop with only a 9gig HD. The HD is now filling with music tracks and will soon run out of space (only 1.5 gig used for itunes so far but only 0.5gig left on HD)

Is it possible to remove the tracks from the Computer without removing them from the mini, the next time i update it.?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,489
    You could set your preferences in iTunes to Manual update rather than Automatic.

3. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,491
    If you can afford it I would recommend buying an external hard drive (USB or firewire if your laptop has it) and using that for your iTunes library. Getting your tunes back off the mini is a bit painful and it you lose it or it dies you will have to rerip all your CDs.

Around £50 will get you an 80GB drive these days. I have a Lacie 160GB which I keep at work. I use as off site backup for my PC (pictures, documents etc.) and also acts as music library for iTunes on my desktop PC.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...n=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=128