iTunes Movies and general Apple TV chat

TC - theatrical cut
DC - director's cut. 4K disc is just TC. DC only on 1080p BD and streaming.

If you want the best picture quality in motion stick with MA. Not for all films but for select films only.

Lionsgate and Paramount don't do MA.
Sony films on MA are 4K HDR10 5.1. So if you prefer DV DA then stick with iTunes counterpart of Sony films. If the movie won't benefit from DA or if you want the best picture then stick with MA.
See, I knew I would look stupid! :facepalm:

Thanks for the MA/iTunes comparison...I will try some movies out on both, and see how they compare.

Cheers,
Kevin

See, I knew I would look stupid! :facepalm:

Thanks for the MA/iTunes comparison...I will try some movies out on both, and see how they compare.

Cheers,
Kevin

If you are a casual viewer then you won't notice anything. If you care about a better picture especially better grain management and compression then you will find few things interesting

Picture quality is always my top priority...Paramount, you might say ;)

Sound quality is not even a close second (sorry to all you audiophiles out there)...I only ever listen using a medium priced soundbar/subwoofer...

Looking forward to checking out a few movies later...Sci-Fi is my bag...I wonder how the likes of the Star Wars movies, Star Trek II and Blade Runner will look.

Thanks...

Picture quality is always my top priority...Paramount, you might say ;)

Sound quality is not even a close second (sorry to all you audiophiles out there)...I only ever listen using a medium priced soundbar/subwoofer...

Looking forward to checking out a few movies later...Sci-Fi is my bag...I wonder how the likes of the Star Wars movies, Star Trek II and Blade Runner will look.

Thanks...

Star Trek films are Paramount who don't do MA

You can check Sony, Warner and Fox films shot on grain.

Digitally shot ones look more or less similar.

If you are a casual viewer then you won't notice anything. If you care about a better picture especially better grain management and compression then you will find few things interesting
Times like this, we need a cringe button.

Stone the crows I’ve actually just started watching a film, well not one that I’ve bought I might add but in the way of Greyhound via ATV+ (One day soon I might actually watch a movie I’ve bought 😂)

Up to a couple of weeks back my times been taken up with watching X-Files 1-11 which we’ve completed including both the movies which we fit in between the appropriate seasons.
Once that was finished with we checked out a couple of ATV+ shows, started with SEE which we thoroughly enjoyed and have just in the past half hour finished The Morning Show, wowzers what a fantastically awesome watch that was.
Really looking forward to season 2 of both.

haha. Yeah us lowly casual viewers. We think we’re enjoying our films but we’re really not. Certainly not as much as those super smart eagle eyed grain loving superior videophiles. Wish I could enjoy films on ‘that’ level.
I don’t notice any grain or compression on my films as I don’t actually watch them!

To be fair, grain is the one thing I think the Apple TV struggles a little with. I can see a difference in films like blade runner for example with the disc showing more detail. For pretty much everything else, the difference between iTunes and disc on my 77c9 is unnoticeable.

Last edited:
Takes the prize for the most insulting post for quite some time.

Takes the prize for the most insulting post for quite some time.

Feel free to report then and prior to that read the posts clearly ..

To be fair, grain is the one thing I think the Apple TV struggles a little with. I can see a difference in films like blade runner for example with the disc showing more detail. For pretty much everything else, the difference between iTunes and disc on my 77c9 is unnoticeable.

I think there is some sort of setting either baked in on the device or in the stream to employ some temporal noise and grain reduction due to which we lose the highest frequency information on iTunes. I am pleased to hear that besides this, iTunes and the disc look close on your 77 as my next TV purchase will be a 75 or 77.

My 65 inch Panasonic GZ OLED is starting to look small :)

I think there is some sort of setting either baked in on the device or in the stream to employ some temporal noise and grain reduction due to which we lose the highest frequency information on iTunes. I am pleased to hear that besides this, iTunes and the disc look close on your 77 as my next TV purchase will be a 75 or 77.

My 65 inch Panasonic GZ OLED is starting to look small :)
Projector

$4.99 deals:

Breakdown 4K DV
Rain Man 4K SDR
Blues Brothers 4K HDR10 (Unrated)
Airplane 4K DV
Demolition Man HD (New master)

$4.99 deals:

Breakdown 4K DV
Rain Man 4K SDR
Airplane 4K DV
A new master of Demolition man yet in the UK store we’ve got an SD version...for £7.99! 😭

$4.99 deals:

Breakdown 4K DV
Rain Man 4K SDR
Airplane 4K DV
Jonathan Demme's Something Wild (1986) - also featuring a young Ray Liotta - is down to $4.99, and isn't on the UK store. Not watched this since '87.....

Demolition Man - doesn't look it is from a new master.

Perhaps I need your supeior eyesight so I can understand them? :)

I don't have a superior vision lol. Just that my eyes are super sensitive to motion and film to video artifacts (DNR / EE / macroblocking / frozen grain / black crush / chroma compression etc.).

Anybody able to log in to, or search, gameflip presently?

update: looks like servers are down

Anybody able to log in to, or search, gameflip presently?

update: looks like servers are down

Looks like site is down, so app is unable to connect to the site although the error message is misleading.

I don't have a superior vision lol. Just that my eyes are super sensitive to motion and film to video artifacts (DNR / EE / macroblocking / frozen grain / black crush / chroma compression etc.).
I doubt you have any real basis for believing your eyesight is more sensitive to these things than anyone else other than your opinion. You should not confuse being bothered by such things with actual fact.

Correct. Most of them list with the fee added. But once you pay, they will notice the reduced amount received due to cross border payment and fees and question you. So if we are transparent about it upfront then you can add the additional fees or negotiate with the seller to find other means to end up in a win-win situation. I know rules are rules but common-sense comes first.

I’ve never had anyone question me regarding the fees post payment-the amount they want for a code factors said fees. Clearly stated in the first post of that thread. And if anyone asks for a F&F/Amazon payment I don’t deal with them.

I’ve never had anyone question me regarding the fees post payment-the amount they want for a code factors said fees. Clearly stated in the first post of that thread. And if anyone asks for a F&F/Amazon payment I don’t deal with them.

Good for you but 50% of them whom I dealt with have asked to include fees or use F&F. Maybe because the codes were already super cheap and I had asked for discount or the sellers were being cheeky. All I care about is a win-win situation. The BD trading forum is not moderated properly. Dealing via PM system proves that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom