• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question iTunes/Mac Mini dilemma

jason shep

Prominent Member
Hi All,
I’d really appreciate some advice on the way forward please?
I’ve been happily using my 2010 MacMini as an iTunes music server, plugged directly into my stereo amp & using the Remote app on my iPad to browse my library. (so I don’t need a screen on)

The problem is, it’s now so old, that I can no longer update iTunes, which in turn is making iTunes & using Remote, a glitchy & not at all slick experience.

The Mini is like brand new & only used for iTunes so I’d really like to keep it, any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
J

Flashy

Distinguished Member
I guess the thing to work out is what's making it glitchy. Is it iTunes, is it the age of the Mac, is it the HDD, is it the Remote app? Or is it a combination of them?

Hope @MacrosTheBlack doesn't mind being tagged in, in the hope of finding someone better able to help.

MacrosTheBlack

Prominent Member
No problem tagging me in @Flashy

So yes little more info needed. What version of Mac operating system are you running (click Apple logo, then About this Mac if not sure...)?

Also how much ram?

Original Hard Disk?

It’s capable of running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. But really you want an SSD upgrade and either 2 x 4GB ram sticks or 2 x 8GB ram to get the best out of it.

If you decide to put an SSD in, go for a cheap one, as only has 3GB/s SATA interface, not 6GB/s. So don’t waste money on a super fast SSD as you won’t get the benefit.

Hope that helps.

jason shep

Prominent Member
AE186FBB-BCC3-4A72-AF20-8C4BB85F2A26.jpeg F28CB135-C067-4FDE-9B86-591D9EEDDF7A.jpeg
No problem tagging me in @Flashy

So yes little more info needed. What version of Mac operating system are you running (click Apple logo, then About this Mac if not sure...)?

Also how much ram?

Original Hard Disk?

It’s capable of running macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. But really you want an SSD upgrade and either 2 x 4GB ram sticks or 2 x 8GB ram to get the best out of it.

If you decide to put an SSD in, go for a cheap one, as only has 3GB/s SATA interface, not 6GB/s. So don’t waste money on a super fast SSD as you won’t get the benefit.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Guys,
Yeah this helps a great deal, I know it only has 2gb ram & id read its pretty easy to upgrade that, as long as you purchase ram compatible with that machine.
A local shop has advised they can update the os for £50, should I do the ram before having that done though ?

MacrosTheBlack

Prominent Member
Thanks Guys,
Yeah this helps a great deal, I know it only has 2gb ram & id read its pretty easy to upgrade that, as long as you purchase ram compatible with that machine.
A local shop has advised they can update the os for £50, should I do the ram before having that done though ?
Nope it says in your grabs there only 1GB of ram and wow you’re still running 10.6 Snow Leopard! No wonder running into problems. You’re 7 OS versions behind where you should be.

See you’re in Bearsted. I’m not far away in Walderslade and could get it all sorted for you for a reasonable price. Put an SSD in too if you wanted.

Drop me a PM if interested.

jason shep

Prominent Member
Wow, that is fantastic, I’ll definitely take you up on that, thank you so much.
I’ll PM you this evening to work things out :thumbsup:

Many thanks
J

jason shep

Prominent Member
A big thank you to @Flashy & a HUGE thank you to @MacrosTheBlack (absolutely top bloke:beer:) my much loved MacMini now has music flowing sweetly again

Many thanks guys :thumbsup:
J

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom