1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ITunes - Laptop and AVR250 Receiever - sound

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by JMHM, Apr 24, 2005.

1. JMHM

JMHM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best way to connect from my mv moebus notebook to the arcam avr250 receiver so that I can play MP3 files through itunes software through the receievr? When I connect using a 3.5mm pin from the notebook to the stereo input (Tape) on the receiever the sound is limited to 83 dB which is too quiet. Is there a better way of doing this ?
    thanks

2. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I presume you have an apple laptop. I'm running itunes and an airport express. Through the express via line level monster cable to my A32. Sounds quite good, volume is fine.

3. JMHM

JMHM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I will try that

4. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure whether this is actually an iBook or not, but laptops are not going to have analog outputs that are up to the quality of the Arcam. I would feed the Arcam digitally. I believe the Airport Express has a digital output. I would use it. If you don't need the Airport, you can also use a USB sound card with digital output. These will work with all software (i.e. not just iTunes, which is a limitation of the Airport Express), although many of them (e.g. the Edirol UA-1X) only work in stereo (i.e. no Dolby Digital or DTS passthrough). If you want Dolby Digital or DTS (i.e. DVD Player), the Edirol won't do it (at least on a Mac). In that case you need one of the M-Audio USB sound cards. Mac driver support for them has been an issue, so you should check the Mac forums. If you're actually on a Windows system you'll have more options, and a different set of driver issues.