iTunes - I no longer have the 'Convert to AAC' option

Maggie

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to convert a track to AAC by right clicking it and a drop down menu would appear. However, it now only displays the 'Convert to MP3' option, despite the fact that all my tracks are in MP3.

Any ideas as I have looked in every menu option to see if this is a selectable option, but without success.

Last edited:
Strange this. I'm sure options used to be there to convert as well. When i right click i get asked to convert to lossless, when all my tracks are already in lossless !

I am wondering if a recent update has caused some corruption. I used to convert to AAC, and then rename the track file extension from .M4a to .M4r to create ring tones on my iPhone.

I can't see anything displayed in their 'HELP' area either.

AT the top of iTunes, click on "edit",then "preferences" and look for the "import settings" button(just below half way down, towards the right with the CD options). If you click on this button, you can change the file type to save your CDs as.

Whatever you choose here will appear as the "convert to" option when you right click on a file.

Hope that helps

AT the top of iTunes, click on "edit",then "preferences" and look for the "import settings" button(just below half way down, towards the right with the CD options). If you click on this button, you can change the file type to save your CDs as.

Whatever you choose here will appear as the "convert to" option when you right click on a file.

Hope that helps

I dont think that answers the original query ! You've just explained how to import your CD's into iTunes, not how to convert them when they're already in there ;)

I think you'll find it does exactly what is required :D

That setting is not just for importing CDs - it also sets the "convert to" option

Indeed it does, i've just tried it.

The stumbling block though is if you've added your music by copying a file to the library.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom